7/24 Games

SoxAce

They mentioned today Wilson Contreras was exposed to Rule 5 and nobody took him...

Our brush with glory was Adrian Nieto, and then Dylan Covey. Oh well, at least they came up with Q.

And who is supposed to be instituting the Steverson hitting philosophy in the minors, Jim Thome?????

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 07:05 PM)
Because this organization is loyal to a fault, and most of our minor league coaching staff are former White Sox.

Fine. Hire other guys.

I agree fully about spending more on coaches...it's a drop in the bucket compared to the bonuses we're going to be paying out and the gamble we have taken on these guys.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 09:05 PM)
Because this organization is loyal to a fault, and most of our minor league coaching staff are former White Sox.

As a sports franchise, loyalty to former players should not take priority over winning and talent development. If a guy isn't the best person for the job, there is no reason you should hire him. The fact that we keep going the former player route clearly shows this organization have not figured out what it takes to develop positional talent.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 07:15 PM)
No one is going to argue that point. If anything, it's troubling the lack of talent the minor league system has produced over time, the new investment in the farm, yet the talent development has stayed the same.

Yeah, it's crazy frustrating.

I still like the return but would be interesting to see if each player had put up this year's performance with their original teams what a Chris Sale trade would look like now.

Sale - 2.48 ERA, 2.52 SIERA, 6.1 WAR (leads baseball), Cy Young runaway favourite

Moncada - 129 wRC+ at AAA, 9 wRC+ in tiny MLB sample

Kopech - 3.51 ERA, 3.48 xFIP at AA

Basabe - 85 wRC+ at A+

Diaz - ERA of about 15 between A and A+, nearly as many walks as strikeouts

Gotta think the White Sox get a bit more back despite the less control of Sale.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 09:23 PM)
I'm probably lower on Adolfo than most people here. BB% below 6 and K% over 30 as a nearly 21-year-old at low-A isn't so hot. Without the high BABIP his line would look very meh. Has increased his power but that's about it.

Have you watched him at all this year? His swing and approach are infinitely better. Still striking out like you said but the amount of progress he's made over last year is insane. Since May he has like 40+ XBHs and he's starting to really work the count.

Also, be careful extrapolating minor league BABIPs. Most elite prospects put up crazy in play #'s at some point. Micker is nuking the ball when he makes contact.

In terms of age I think you're being way too pessimistic. He doesn't need to be in AA for 2.5 more years to be on track to reach the majors. Not every guy realizes their tools at 20 LOL.

Edited by Username

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 08:19 PM)
Victor Diaz is fun bad. 3.75 WHIP

Yes, WHIP goes up when you get nobody out.

Why was this guy even in the Sale trade? Just so Hahn can say he got four prospects instead of three?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 24, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Here's my concern about Fulmer as a reliever in the majors. When he got called up last year, his stuff didn't improve out of the pen. If they want to make him a reliever, make him prove he can be a quality reliever in the minors.

Yeah, exactly. I meant let him close at Charlotte.

Good discussion in here.

I am equally nervous about player dev. That's not to say Collins is written off to me, just that I've significantly lowered Collins down in my head.

And that's a big shift. We've blamed for years the lack of farm output on drafting long-tail players like Mitchell/Hawkins/Walker that had poor hit grades and never improved.

Well this was our draft of polished college hitters. Collins/Call/Fisher. All good OBP. Good college production.

They've all stumbled at the first big challenge (I recognize it's sort of unfair for Call).

I keep saying it, but I was reading the longenhagen bio of Jimenez, which talked about all the mechanical updates Jimenez made in the past two years to go from raw to possible 70 hit grade.

I just don't know the last time I've ever read that about a sox player. And I don't know if Jimenez did it himself.

If I recall, for years the sox philosophy was let them carry what got them there for as long as they could and then fix it when it's broken. Sure seems like that's the same. Still same guy at top (Bell).

We've heard of all of the changes, but all of them were a bunch of essentially first year guys. Why would we take that risk before the rebuild? We couldn't hire some player dev guys out of Arizona that turned AJ Pollock and Peralta into above average offensive players?

It just seems like for hitters we are relying on them to figure it out on their own. And I hope they can do it.

QUOTE (Username @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 04:11 AM)
Have you watched him at all this year? His swing and approach are infinitely better. Still striking out like you said but the amount of progress he's made over last year is insane. Since May he has like 40+ XBHs and he's starting to really work the count.

Also, be careful extrapolating minor league BABIPs. Most elite prospects put up crazy in play #'s at some point. Micker is nuking the ball when he makes contact.

In terms of age I think you're being way too pessimistic. He doesn't need to be in AA for 2.5 more years to be on track to reach the majors. Not every guy realizes their tools at 20 LOL.

Yep, I'm aware of the need to be careful with minor-league BABIP but just from memory I've seen quite a few groundball hits in game logs. His line drive percentage is basically the same as it has been. I'm not writing him off by any means, I'm just noting that many seem to be getting very excited about him when there's still red flags and he's not crazy young for the level anymore.

I felt that Trayce Thompson reaching the MLB was a pretty significant accomplishment for the Sox minor league system. He came in as a high school with major contact problems, dealt with persistent strikeout issues throughout the minors, but slowly but surely got his bat to an acceptable level. It also made him one of the few draft pick position players to make the majors in a long time and look like a major leaguer. He's joined now by Saladino and Sanchez, who were lower on talent by quite a bit but still had to be developed in our system.

Engel is looking like he might be another player who we can say we improved as a system. He is one who has undeniably been a better minor league hitter than college hitter in spite of his inconsistency.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
I felt that Trayce Thompson reaching the MLB was a pretty significant accomplishment for the Sox minor league system. He came in as a high school with major contact problems, dealt with persistent strikeout issues throughout the minors, but slowly but surely got his bat to an acceptable level. It also made him one of the few draft pick position players to make the majors in a long time and look like a major leaguer. He's joined now by Saladino and Sanchez, who were lower on talent by quite a bit but still had to be developed in our system.

Engel is looking like he might be another player who we can say we improved as a system. He is one who has undeniably been a better minor league hitter than college hitter in spite of his inconsistency.

While there are still some red flags, the Sox player development has improved by leaps and bound in recent years. A franchise which couldn't produce anything is producing starting caliber major league players at a regular rate over the past couple of years.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:38 PM)
While there are still some red flags, the Sox player development has improved by leaps and bound in recent years. A franchise which couldn't produce anything is producing starting caliber major league players at a regular rate over the past couple of years.

Who are you referring to? Semien and Anderson?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 25, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
Good discussion in here.

I am equally nervous about player dev. That's not to say Collins is written off to me, just that I've significantly lowered Collins down in my head.

And that's a big shift. We've blamed for years the lack of farm output on drafting long-tail players like Mitchell/Hawkins/Walker that had poor hit grades and never improved.

Well this was our draft of polished college hitters. Collins/Call/Fisher. All good OBP. Good college production.

They've all stumbled at the first big challenge (I recognize it's sort of unfair for Call).

I keep saying it, but I was reading the longenhagen bio of Jimenez, which talked about all the mechanical updates Jimenez made in the past two years to go from raw to possible 70 hit grade.

I just don't know the last time I've ever read that about a sox player. And I don't know if Jimenez did it himself.

If I recall, for years the sox philosophy was let them carry what got them there for as long as they could and then fix it when it's broken. Sure seems like that's the same. Still same guy at top (Bell).

We've heard of all of the changes, but all of them were a bunch of essentially first year guys. Why would we take that risk before the rebuild? We couldn't hire some player dev guys out of Arizona that turned AJ Pollock and Peralta into above average offensive players?

It just seems like for hitters we are relying on them to figure it out on their own. And I hope they can do it.

Most on this board were soured by the Shields Tatis Jr. trade, but do we actually think Sox can turn help Tatis tap into his offensive potential? I've been preaching a lot around here lately on focus to build up a quality developmental program in the minors for long term success. If the player developmental guys in Houston or AZ know what they're doing developing hitters, why aren't we spending the extra $$$ to pry those guys away from those orgs. If refining swings through data analytics is what's helping guys become better hitters today, why aren't we spending to build up a team of hitting coordinators who are fluent in analytics. The cost of it would barely make a dent on the financial savings we're accruing on the big league roster. This rebuild shouldn't just be about selling the big league roster to build up the farm, it's also a good opportunity to get rid of coaches and coordinators who have not show success in developing the young guys. Until I see guys like Moncada, Collins, or Rutherford who have questionable hit tools finding their strides offensively, I'm still cautiously optimistic about our farm system.