Can Rodon become a quality mlb starter?

Dominikk85

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's already a quality starter. The question is whether he can become an ace. He's obviously not 100% back from the injury, and as someone else pointed out, this is sort of like spring training for him. He's got nasty stuff, as evidenced by the 11 Ks in four innings yesterday. His biggest issue seems to be walks. Once he gets more control of his pitches and learns a few more things, he'll be a very good pitcher. I expect him to slowly improve this year. Hopefully he'll be healthy throughout the season all the way into spring training. I think we'll see what kind of pitcher he truly can be next year.

In 2015 and 2016 his numbers were that of a pretty good #3 starter (averaged 3.1 WAR/200 innings), if he never becomes more than that then that might be a disappointment considering his upside but that's still a quality MLB starter. So he's already there, the question is if he can be a top of the rotation guy.

Edited by OmarComing25

Just for snorts and giggles...

Carlos Rodon has thrown 55 minor league innings in his life, including the 17 IP this year on his rehab assignment. TOTAL he has thrown 383 2/3 IP as a professional. Compare that to Lucas Giolito who has thrown 494 1/3 IP as a professional.

Reastically, Rodon was pretty well rushed and is still doing a lot of learning on the job. Carson Fulmer is rowing in the same boat with Rodon. I mean if you think about it, Rodon was drafted in 2014. It incredibly realistic to outline a scenario where Rodon is the guy replacing Jose Quintana in the starting rotation making his major league debut after spending half a season in rookie ball (2014), about a year in two levels of A ball (15), a year at AA ball (16), and half of this season at AAA (17).

It is WAY too early to give up on Carlos Rodon.

• 2 weeks later...

I got no problem with Rodon. This is actually a reason I didn't want to rebuild. With Sale, Q and Rodon and a capable pickup (not Shields or Holland) to go with a fifth starter from our system or somewhere, that woulda been a helluva rotation. We already had "on paper" a good to great bullpen with David as closer and the other guys.

Too late to cry about that stuff, but yes, Rodon is good. If he stays healthy and keeps the velocity he should be an all star pitcher.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 10:09 AM)
I really like Rodon. His stuff is just nasty. No doubt to me that if he stays healthy, that he'll be the ace of the staff for years to come.

It is all technical with him. He has to stay in his motion and finish his pitches. If he flies open too early his stuff floats and has no control.

He has fanned at least 10 seven times in his career, and 5 of his last 9 starts. His ascent to ace is happening. What will be interesting is what their plans are for him. 4 years of control after this year. Next year is a throw away, a lot will have to go right for 2019 to be close to the same. Do they trade him for prospects?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
He has fanned at least 10 seven times in his career, and 5 of his last 9 starts. His ascent to ace is happening. What will be interesting is what their plans are for him. 4 years of control after this year. Next year is a throw away, a lot will have to go right for 2019 to be close to the same. Do they trade him for prospects?

I'm really not a big contracts guy, but how does he have four years left? Debuting in 2015, shouldn't his six years be up after 2020?

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)
I'm really not a big contracts guy, but how does he have four years left? Debuting in 2015, shouldn't his six years be up after 2020?

He didn't get credit for a full service year in 2015, so it won't be until his 7th season he reaches the magical 6 year requirement.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 05:46 PM)

If the ascent to ace is happening, that would greatly speed up the rebuilding efforts. The pitching staff could very well be ready for the most part by 2019. Either way, this would be a great problem for us to have. In a perfect world Hahn finds a way to extend Rodon this offseason, although that's obviously a huge long-shot.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)

This is just same old, same old for Rodon. He pitched lights out in the 2nd half for each of the last 2 season. Now if he could put 2 good halves together we have an ace.

This isn't a knock against him. It is often how young pitching develops. Usually takes a few years . Just a cautionary tale to not expect the studs in the minors to come up and be instant stars. Injuries and inconsistency always rear their ugly heads.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside