Can Rodon become a quality mlb starter?

Dominikk85

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:56 PM)
I think there is a way to extend even with Boras. I just don't think they'll be able to get the kind of crazy bargain deal, something more along the lines of what Rodon would get if he hit the open market right now.

I don't know what that deal would look like though.

I still wouldn't want to for another year, if Avi produces like this again I'd talk extensions mid season '18

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:49 PM)
I'd love to see the Sox sign Rodon before he consistently performs to his ability as well, but it ain't happening in all likelihood. It is good to see SoxTalk respecting what Rodon is. Sox Twitter never has given Rodon the benefit of the doubt he deserves. He has nearly thrown twice as many innings this year than he ever did in the minors before his initial call up. Absolutely ridiculous what the Sox expected from him in 2015.

Of course, Boras Corp doesn't do those deals in most cases, but Rodon's fiancee has been blabbing to Sox fans in a Twitter group how they love Chicago but they will see "when we hit free agency."

Even so, Sox have him for four more years after this. I think he's the most important player in the organization to the rebuild not named Moncada/Kopech/Jimenez.

I can agree with that

Hopefully Rodon sticks around and remains healthy

QUOTE (raBBit @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
I'd love to see the Sox sign Rodon before he consistently performs to his ability as well, but it ain't happening in all likelihood. It is good to see SoxTalk respecting what Rodon is. Sox Twitter never has given Rodon the benefit of the doubt he deserves. He has nearly thrown twice as many innings this year than he ever did in the minors before his initial call up. Absolutely ridiculous what the Sox expected from him in 2015.

Of course, Boras Corp doesn't do those deals in most cases, but Rodon's fiancee has been blabbing to Sox fans in a Twitter group how they love Chicago but they will see "when we hit free agency."

Even so, Sox have him for four more years after this. I think he's the most important player in the organization to the rebuild not named Moncada/Kopech/Jimenez.

Well she apparently buys into the Boras school of thought.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Dane Dunning doesn't project as a top of the rotation guy

Yeah, while Dunning probably has one of the highest floors in the system as a starter, guys like Kopech and Hanson have way higher ceilings because of their pure stuff.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
If I was the significant other of a professional athlete, it should really be the only school of thought.

Moreso for a first big contract, though there is always something to be said for being somewhere you love. I know I turned down a chance to interview for a lot more money because I loved the situation I was in at the company I am at now.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
The difference of course is we may be talking about a 20-30 million dollar difference with a Rodon contract, if not more in certain cases.

Even still, the biggest thing is being a professional athlete. Your time to make top dollar is incredibly finite and when it's gone.......it's gone.

That's why even as a fan, I've never had a problem with the "Boras approach"

While that is all true. When you are talking about the difference between $100 and $120 million, the marginal difference isn't that big for an athlete. It is more pronounced when you aren't making multi-generational wealth with your contract.

With regards to a potential Rodon extension, I think this article is worthwhile - http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-possibl...star-extension/

Whether we like it or not, Rodon really is set financially for the rest of this life. That doesn't mean that he can't go from "set" to "having more money than he'll ever need," but he doesn't need financial security to offset potential earnings down the road, because he's already got financial security.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:41 PM)
Moreso for a first big contract, though there is always something to be said for being somewhere you love. I know I turned down a chance to interview for a lot more money because I loved the situation I was in at the company I am at now.

The first big contract is usually the only big contract for these players. While I realize it's multi-generational wealth, they still will never find a similar job for the following 30+ years of their life, so they might as well maximize it.

It's also a guaranteed contract. In your situation, you are happy now, but in a year there might be another offer somewhere that makes you happier and you can leave. These players can't, so that's why they getting the most money at once is a bigger deal.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
The first big contract is usually the only big contract for these players. While I realize it's multi-generational wealth, they still will never find a similar job for the following 30+ years of their life, so they might as well maximize it.

It's also a guaranteed contract. In your situation, you are happy now, but in a year there might be another offer somewhere that makes you happier and you can leave. These players can't, so that's why they getting the most money at once is a bigger deal.

For some players, being a in a place they like is more important than extra millions.

I don't know what it would take to sign Rodon to an early extension, but if I were a young pitcher, I would take the kind of deal that Sale took, rather than risk getting hurt and never getting a big pay day. The risk of an arm, or shoulder injury, which ends a career is too great, for the difference in the money.

If we were talking about the difference between comfortable and rich, I could understand taking the risk. However, here we are talking about the difference between very rich and more money than one can spend. I would settle for the security, while being very rich, in a heart beat!!! I know that I'm not the first person to make this argument, but it seemed appropriate to reiterate it. Avarice is a human failing.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 02:59 PM)
For some players, being a in a place they like is more important than extra millions.

While true, that is much more common later in a player's career. For that one big FA contract, the millions are almost always the deciding factor.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
While true, that is much more common later in a player's career. For that one big FA contract, the millions are almost always the deciding factor.

And with Rodon's contract, I think this will absolutely be the case. I would imagine he is pitching somewhere else with his first free agent contract and making nine figures to do it.

I think the year 4, 5, and 6 numbers are probably pretty light if he wanted to push it.

Dallas Keuchel got $7.25 million for year 4.

Jake Arrieta got $10.7 million for year 5.

David Price got a $19.75 million agreement for year six, Scherzer got $15.25 before that in 2014.

Teams in general need to get away from giant contracts to 28+ year old dudes, only way anything changes and teams stop being crippled by 34 year old league average players making 20m. Take all that money and invest in your scouting/development.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)
Teams in general need to get away from giant contracts to 28+ year old dudes, only way anything changes and teams stop being crippled by 34 year old league average players making 20m. Take all that money and invest in your scouting/development.
and the current labor deal puts caps on that. the system is designed to give 28 year olds mega contracts.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 07:22 PM)
and the current labor deal puts caps on that. the system is designed to give 28 year olds mega contracts.

Which will also never change. The NFLPA needs to hire whatever lawyer negotiated the MLBPA CBA

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
@CSNHayes

54s

Correction: Carlos Rodon had a second opinion done Monday. Nothing new was discovered. He remains out w/ inflammation. #WhiteSox

This just feels like they know something is wrong, but can't figure it out.

Probably but the optimist also tells me they are being overly cautious for no other reason then they can.

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 02:32 PM)
@CSNHayes

54s

Correction: Carlos Rodon had a second opinion done Monday. Nothing new was discovered. He remains out w/ inflammation. #WhiteSox

This just feels like they know something is wrong, but can't figure it out.

To me, they just wanted to shut him down and were playing playoff teams. They didn't want anything to look untoward.

I have a feeling he would be pitching if there was something to pitch for. I think this was a very minor thing where they had no reason to do anything other than shut him down. Hahn said something about why Holland got released at the meeting I went with him. He said the reason was because there where others who would be more interesting to see what they could do. This Rodon thing happened either the next day or the day after, and I think it is more of the same thing. Rodon isn't going to show you anything you need to see the remainder of the season. I don't doubt he had some stiffness, but it was a good excuse to sit him down the rest of the year, watch Covey and Fulmer, and not hurt their draft position.

Edited by Dick Allen

Yea I don't believe that for a 2nd, Dick. Rodon needs experience more than he needs any sort of stealth tank "rest".

Shoulder inflammation, accompanied by an immediate MRI, then a 2nd opinion -- no bueno.

Here's my timeline, and I hope I'm not as right on this one as I was on Tilson (Christ I should set the over under on 2017 as his return for my prediction, not July):

-- rests most of the offseason

-- makes a few spring training starts after delaying his throwing program and pushing him back in spring

-- soreness comes back and they shut him down until May or so

-- May comes, he tries to throw, can't, and then we hear the dreaded "exploratory surgery".

-- Surgery repairs something in the shoulder joint, hopefully not the dreaded "capsule" like Santana and Danks, and he misses the rest of 2018.

-- He's never the same guy

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 07:11 PM)
Yea I don't believe that for a 2nd, Dick. Rodon needs experience more than he needs any sort of stealth tank "rest".

Shoulder inflammation, accompanied by an immediate MRI, then a 2nd opinion -- no bueno.

Here's my timeline, and I hope I'm not as right on this one as I was on Tilson (Christ I should set the over under on 2017 as his return for my prediction, not July):

-- rests most of the offseason

-- makes a few spring training starts after delaying his throwing program and pushing him back in spring

-- soreness comes back and they shut him down until May or so

-- May comes, he tries to throw, can't, and then we hear the dreaded "exploratory surgery".

-- Surgery repairs something in the shoulder joint, hopefully not the dreaded "capsule" like Santana and Danks, and he misses the rest of 2018.

-- He's never the same guy

It's somewhere in the middle. He probably had some minor soreness that in a playoff race is something you play through, but when your 30 games back and trying to get a better draft pick you shut him down - both to help the draft & to not take even the slightest risk.