7/26 Games

flavum

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 09:49 PM)
Are we really even mentioning the majors for Hawkins because he's gone 4 weeks hitting .256/.320/.412, bringing his overall line to a whopping .185/.239/.327? Dude is dead as a prospect.

Don't get me wrong- I don't believe this will happen. But he has turned it around recently, including in terms of Ks. He's still relatively young, so why not push him and see if he's an asset? What do we have to lose? Eloy could be at AAA next year, but other than him, do you want to see Rymer Liriano in the OF again, or would you like to test Hawkins?

I fully expect him to continue to fail, and my comment about the majors was an absolute perfect storm, but we have the space so we at least ought to find out.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 08:59 PM)
Don't get me wrong- I don't believe this will happen. But he has turned it around recently, including in terms of Ks. He's still relatively young, so why not push him and see if he's an asset? What do we have to lose? Eloy could be at AAA next year, but other than him, do you want to see Rymer Liriano in the OF again, or would you like to test Hawkins?

I fully expect him to continue to fail, and my comment about the majors was an absolute perfect storm, but we have the space so we at least ought to find out.

Going to be some battles in spring training with Willy , Leury, Avi, Engel, Hanson, Cordell and maybe Tilson. Am I forgetting someone ? Oh yeah Liriano if they all make it through the off season.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:49 PM)
Are we really even mentioning the majors for Hawkins because he's gone 4 weeks hitting .256/.320/.412, bringing his overall line to a whopping .185/.239/.327? Dude is dead as a prospect.

I find this funny considering your love for fringe prospects.

this is how I view the future outfield shaping up

Tier 0 Throw them against the wall

Cordell/Engel/L. Garcia# | Tilson, Liriano & W. Garcia fall into this bucket as well

Tier 1 Top 100

Jimenez/Robert/Rutherford*

Tier 2 Upside

Polo/Basabe#/Adolfo

Tier 3 Moderate floor

Fisher*/Gonzalez/Call

Hopefully Avisail can continue his best Jose Guillen impersonation and get moved in the next 12 months.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:49 PM)

I'm holding out 1% hope that Hawkins becomes a second division starter in the big leagues, given that we also thought Matt Davidson was dead as prospect 2 years ago.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 02:13 AM)
I'm holding out 1% hope that Hawkins becomes a second division starter in the big leagues, given that we also thought Matt Davidson was dead as prospect 2 years ago.

I honestly believe he has a better shot to make the majors as a reliever over an outfielder.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:13 AM)
this is how I view the future outfield shaping up

Tier 0 Throw them against the wall

Cordell/Engel/L. Garcia# | Tilson, Liriano & W. Garcia fall into this bucket as well

Tier 1 Top 100

Jimenez/Robert/Rutherford*

Tier 2 Upside

Polo/Basabe#/Adolfo

Tier 3 Moderate floor

Fisher*/Gonzalez/Call

Hopefully Avisail can continue his best Jose Guillen impersonation and get moved in the next 12 months.

Tito Polo in the same tier as Basabe & Adolfo? He's got nowhere near the same upside and is a lessser prospect than Cordell, who you put in tier 0.

Courtney Hawkins made a change that cut his strikeout rate from about 50%, which was on the verge of getting him booted out of pro baseball, by half to below 25%. What does it mean? Well, it means he may have gotten things figured out enough to play minor league baseball until he's sick of doing it rather than until he gets released and exiled.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 10:56 PM)
All you guys need some lefties in your hypothetical rotations.

At the very least Rodon.

But god, the most exciting part is how many of these pitchers (including Rodon), have true #1 ace potential.

Lol, just a year or two ago the Sox were rolling lefties out onto the field like the Sox had a factory of them. Now, it's up to Guerrero and Clarkin to resurrect the lefty craze again.

As for Rodon. He has good stuff so we can keep him around I guess. :P

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
Courtney Hawkins made a change that cut his strikeout rate from about 50%, which was on the verge of getting him booted out of pro baseball, by half to below 25%. What does it mean? Well, it means he may have gotten things figured out enough to play minor league baseball until he's sick of doing it rather than until he gets released and exiled.

I too have noticed a definite change in his stat lines since he came back. Someone mentioned previously that he wasnt't healthy earlier in the year. Not sure how much, if any, that played into his struggles.

I don't have much hope he ever makes the major leagues, but if he maintains his turnaround through the rest of the year I think he has bought himself another year in the org in 2018. And I would support that. Zero risk for us to send him back to Birmingham next year. If he's brutal again by July give him the ultimatum to switch to the mound or be let go.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 02:13 AM)

There is nothing wrong with letting Hawkins do his thing. Now that there is talent in the organization underneath him he is either going to start to succeed, or he will play himself out of the organization. His play will determine everything.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 05:53 AM)
Tito Polo in the same tier as Basabe & Adolfo? He's got nowhere near the same upside and is a lessser prospect than Cordell, who you put in tier 0.

Tito Polo is 22 and performing well at AA age appropriate, Cordell is 25 both are likely 4th outfielders but Polo has age on his side.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 01:38 AM)
Name one prospect I've hyped that has less of a chance of producing positive major-league WAR than Courtney Hawkins.

What's Andy Wilkins up to these days? ;) although my point about you and fringey spect love has nothing to do with a guy making the majors.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 11:54 AM)
What's Andy Wilkins up to these days? ;) although my point about you and fringey spect love has nothing to do with a guy making the majors.

Playing AA ball for Chattanooga in the Twins org. Just hit a homer off a Birmingham pitcher in the last week.

QUOTE (Feeky Magee @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 01:38 AM)
Name one prospect I've hyped that has less of a chance of producing positive major-league WAR than Courtney Hawkins.

Cleuluis Rondon although to be fair, you did say less of a chance and zero does equal zero.

Edited by Dick Allen