Will Eloy Jimenez get to AA this year?

KnightsOnMintSt

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
No way.

If he gets sent for a cup of coffee in AA this year (which I think he will) and then to the AFL and performs, he'll begin next year in Birmingham. If he is cruising along in June/July there is no reason he can't be called straight up from AA.

True, it doesn't happen as often with hitters, but it does sometimes happen. I'm not saying it's the more likely outcome, but it is not at all unreasonable to think he's in Chicago mid-year next year or as a September call-up

The simple post is WHY?

Look at our 2018 roster, and tell me why he needs to spend any time on it. That is going to be a mid 50's wins horrible team. With where he is now, let him finish in A ball, and start in Birmingham next year. He has already moved once to come to the Sox, no need to have him move again for a month in Birmingham. If he destroys Birmingham, bump him up to Charlotte after the All Star Break and let him finish there. The absolutely soonest we should look at him in Chicago is after the Super 2 deadline in 2019. There is no good reason with the roster construction we currently have to rush the guy up here. Zero.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
The simple post is WHY?

Look at our 2018 roster, and tell me why he needs to spend any time on it. That is going to be a mid 50's wins horrible team. With where he is now, let him finish in A ball, and start in Birmingham next year. He has already moved once to come to the Sox, no need to have him move again for a month in Birmingham. If he destroys Birmingham, bump him up to Charlotte after the All Star Break and let him finish there. The absolutely soonest we should look at him in Chicago is after the Super 2 deadline in 2019. There is no good reason with the roster construction we currently have to rush the guy up here. Zero.

Well, time will tell. Things move fast for hitters like Jimenez. No point in arguing over it, but pin this thread and come back to it 13 months from now, and I think Jimenez will be getting ready to make his major league debut.

Rodon/Lopez/Giolito could realize enough of their talent to carry the team. Kopech is going to force his way onto the ML roster next year too. They've shown an adeptness at building bullpen pieces from seemingly nothing, though closer might be an issue.

On the offensive side all it would take is holding on to Abreu, a bounce back from Anderson and Moncada living up to at least some of the hype for them to be good enough to ride those arms.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:00 AM)
Rodon/Lopez/Giolito could realize enough of their talent to carry the team. Kopech is going to force his way onto the ML roster next year too. They've shown an adeptness at building bullpen pieces from seemingly nothing, though closer might be an issue.

On the offensive side all it would take is holding on to Abreu, a bounce back from Anderson and Moncada living up to at least some of the hype for them to be good enough to ride those arms.

There are going to be around 22 "if's" on the roster next year. That doesn't really work for competing in MLB.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
The simple post is WHY?

I mean, if he pulls a Miguel Cabrera down in AA next year I don't think it behooves anyone to just let him sit.

Assuming he will have to acclimate to the ML level anyways, better get it started earlier rather than later if we are more competitive than planned next year and look to be competitive a year early in 2019

There are going to be around 22 "if's" on the roster next year. That doesn't really work for competing in MLB.

There is a lot of opportunity on the 2018 White Sox. Even the likes of Cordell, Delmonico, Polo and Gillaspie are of a higher quality than what the Sox have attempted to trot out there as internal options at positions of need.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:59 PM)
There is a lot of opportunity on the 2018 White Sox. Even the likes of Cordell, Delmonico, Polo and Gillaspie are of a higher quality than what the Sox have attempted to trot out there as internal options at positions of need.

That is the PC way of saying there isn't enough ready talent, and this team is going to suck unless there is a miracle.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
I mean, if he pulls a Miguel Cabrera down in AA next year I don't think it behooves anyone to just let him sit.

Assuming he will have to acclimate to the ML level anyways, better get it started earlier rather than later if we are more competitive than planned next year and look to be competitive a year early in 2019

If he hits like that, he still has AAA to go through. There is zero need to rush this kid, especially because this team has no chance at competing until next decade anyway. Why start his clock early?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
If he hits like that, he still has AAA to go through. There is zero need to rush this kid, especially because this team has no chance at competing until next decade anyway. Why start his clock early?

This is plain old untrue.

Cf Engel/Leury

2b Moncada

Dh Abreu

Rf Avi

3b Davidson/Delmonico

1b Gillaspie

C Narvaez/Smith

Lf Cordell/Polo

Ss Anderson

Utility- Yolmer

I see a ton of potential in that lineup. And as guys fail there will be ample reinforcements from the minors coming up to take their place. A couple breaks go the Sox way and it'll be more than enough to capitalize on good performances from Rodon/Giolito/Lopez/Kopech (midseason).

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Cf Engel/Leury

2b Moncada

Dh Abreu

Rf Avi

3b Davidson/Delmonico

1b Gillaspie

C Narvaez/Smith

Lf Cordell/Polo

Ss Anderson

Utility- Yolmer

I see a ton of potential in that lineup. And as guys fail there will be ample reinforcements from the minors coming up to take their place. A couple breaks go the Sox way and it'll be more than enough to capitalize on good performances from Rodon/Giolito/Lopez/Kopech (midseason).

You and I see "potential" very differently. I look at that line up in 2018 and see #1 draft pick.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
This is plain old untrue.

Unless you believe that almost all of these kids are going to come up in 2018 and 2019 and all have instant success, there is zero chance of these team being good in the next two years. You have to understand that a percentage of these kids will flat out flop, as well as having others who take the Avi Garcia route of needing 2-3 years to realize their potential. Especially since a large portion of these talent is currently in the low minor leagues with 2017 being a month from being over in the minors.

If Jimenez really has that special level of talent, I wouldn't want to put a whole lot of money on him taking X amount of time to make it to the show. The great ones have a tendency to just start kicking ass and forcing their way to MLB.

Yeah, the Cubs' situation with Bryant...let's just wait and see what happens next year, before we start worrying about competing TOO early.

We don't even have anything resembling a bullpen, even if all our minor leaguers turned into Gary Sanchez, Aaron Judge and Eric Thames.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
Unless you believe that almost all of these kids are going to come up in 2018 and 2019 and all have instant success, there is zero chance of these team being good in the next two years. You have to understand that a percentage of these kids will flat out flop, as well as having others who take the Avi Garcia route of needing 2-3 years to realize their potential. Especially since a large portion of these talent is currently in the low minor leagues with 2017 being a month from being over in the minors.

I think the tide is going to turn significantly faster than you do. But in any event, there is simply no defending the statement "this team has no chance at competing until next decade." That is categorically false. This team absolutely has a non-zero chance to compete. "Competing" does not equal "prohibitive Word Series favorites." Are they likely to win 90+ games in 2019? Probably not. But there is more than enough young talent making its way to Chicago by the end of next year to construct a slightly-above-.500 team if enough goes their way. And guess what, that constitutes competing in the two-Wildcard era. Obviously, the ultimate goal is a juggernaut team in the early '20s, but I don't know why you would 100% dismiss the idea that nothing will happen sooner. Sometimes I think people are so used to the "all-in/win-or-bust with patchwork veterans" Sox underacheiving and imploding that they don't realize how easy it is to be in a playoff race until late in the season these days, especially in the two-Wildcard era.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)

See Glavine/Smoltz/Avery numbers in the late 80's for a rebuilding Braves' team...success doesn't happen overnight, usually.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:45 PM)
I think the tide is going to turn significantly faster than you do. But in any event, there is simply no defending the statement "this team has no chance at competing until next decade." That is categorically false. This team absolutely has a non-zero chance to compete. "Competing" does not equal "prohibitive Word Series favorites." Are they likely to win 90+ games in 2019? Probably not. But there is more than enough young talent making its way to Chicago by the end of next year to construct a slightly-above-.500 team if enough goes their way. And guess what, that constitutes competing in the two-Wildcard era. Obviously, the ultimate goal is a juggernaut team in the early '20s, but I don't know why you would 100% dismiss the idea that nothing will happen sooner. Sometimes I think people are so used to the "all-in/win-or-bust with patchwork veterans" Sox underacheiving and imploding that they don't realize how easy it is to be in a playoff race until late in the season these days, especially in the two-Wildcard era.

The Indians are set up for the next 2 years still...after that, all bets are off.

Just don't see this team competing without really good catching, really good up the middle defense and POWER...not to mention a semblance of a bullpen.

If Burdi, Rodon, Collins, Anderson, Fulmer were all doing what they were expected to do, sure.

And JR's not going to jump out there early and start spending money (assuming he's still around) until it's logical/rational to do so.

If they are the worst team in baseball with Giolito, Lopez, Rodon, Kopech, Moncada and Abreu (not to mention all the close to the majors guys they've acquired in the past month) something is seriously wrong. This is not like the Cubs or Astros, the Sox system is already built. They will add a blue chip guy again next June and after that it's over, there will be no more stockpiling of talent.

Next year is a year they should make effort to win in. No use trying to lose while they have cheap years from Abreu and Avi to burn and service clocks ticking on 3 of their 7 or so best prospects.

The Indians are set up for the next 2 years still...after that, all bets are off.

Just don't see this team competing without really good catching, really good up the middle defense and POWER...not to mention a semblance of a bullpen.

If Burdi, Rodon, Collins, Anderson, Fulmer were all doing what they were expected to do, sure.

And JR's not going to jump out there early and start spending money (assuming he's still around) until it's logical/rational to do so.

Abreu, Avi, Moncada, Davidson...the Sox have plenty of power. They have like 10 pitchers who are on a clear path to major league success, if they cannot build a bullpen out of that I'll be shocked.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:55 AM)
Sox could easily be a .500 team in 2018.

I also don't see the point in wasting Moncada, Lopez, and Giolito's service time just so they can save Jimenez's.

strangers things have happened, but i put the odds of that happening at less than 5%.

Here is what we're likely looking at for the opening day 25 man roster.

DH -Abreu

C - Narvaez*

1B - Gillespie#

2B - Moncada#

SS - Anderson

3B - Davidson

LF - Cordell

CF - Leury#

RF - Engel

SP - Shields

SP - Rodon*

SP - Giolito

SP - Santiago* / Tillman - FA

SP - Lopez

CL - Petricka

SU - FA / Rule V

SU - FA

MR - Goldberg

MR - Danish

LO - Bummer*

LR - Holmberg* or Rule V

C - Smith

UT - Hanson#

CI - Delmonico*

OF - Tilson*

no amount of squinting gets you close to .500 for the year. Maybe post deadline they play around .500 with other promotions and give the appearance of being a dark horse for '19 but thats how I'm seeing them. The bullpen provided they can stay healthy should be better than what we're going to run with after the deadline in Petricka, Putnam and Jones. But Giolito, Lopez and Rodon are going to go through growing pains, and hopefully whomever they sign to bridge to the next wave of starters can be moved for something and shields can ride off in the sunset after '18.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Abreu, Avi, Moncada, Davidson...the Sox have plenty of power. They have like 10 pitchers who are on a clear path to major league success, if they cannot build a bullpen out of that I'll be shocked.

Is Avi for real? Can he hit 25-35 homers per season, instead of 15-20?

Can Davidson and Moncada not strike out 30-40% of the time? By fwar, Davidson basically is replacement level value due to his strikeouts, lack of OBP and defensive shortcomings. How much "better" can he realistically be in the future? (According to Hawk, he has Schwarber upside, whatever that means exactly.)

Abreu has hit a ton of doubles, but he's seemingly lost some weight and isn't the feared power hitter he once was. He's very good as a DH, top 30% probably, but you negate a lot of his value when you trot him out there defensively, where he might grade out as the worst 1B in baseball according to most scouts (no, it's not Hosmer, as Harrelson concurred recently.)

Defense up the middle? (Engel looks fine, but what else? Can Engel at least put up a 700 OPS?)

Bullpen?

Edited by caulfield12