Dan Jennings Traded to TB for Casey Gillaspie

GGajewski18

Huge list of players to get at-bats for now...

Hayes will probably get pushed out by Gillaspie/Delmonico/Asche.

Feeling Tilson has little to no future due to his lack of power playing 81 games in Chicago.

Then you've got Cordell, Willy Garcia, Liriano, Engel, Leury (who might have to move back to SS), Avi Garcia (upon return), Hanson, Sanchez, Saladino, obviously Matt Davidson until they find someone better. Maybe, just maybe, Eddie Alvarez or Peter.

That's 14-16 players there alone. Plus, Abreu is ensconced somewhere in there, either at 1B or DH.

How many of them will be on the next Sox playoff team, one wonders...

Edited by caulfield12

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:05 AM)
I got to say, as this team gets worse on a Major League level, my interest goes up... the rare moments of good baseball become so important, it is a thing of beauty! Young players, some journymen, looking to make it big on the big stage are giving every opportunity and it is fun watching them and also watching the team lose (tank to #1 baby).

To some extent I agree. I really enjoy seeing players like Engel and Willy Garcia make it and get some success. Long winding roads to the majors and I think that may inspire some of our guys in the minors to keep pressing.

Plus you start to learn about scouting reports. I would have ranked May above Engel, but after this year you realize when they are about equal, take the plus tool over the production in the minors. It was hard to point out May in a game, Engel's D and speed is legit.

QUOTE (Soha @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 07:31 AM)
Cordell seems pegged as a 4th outfielder. You can sign those guys for free every winter.

Nearly everyone that reported on that trade has said that Cordell's floor is a 4th outfielder but that he has a great chance to be a regular OF. Good defense, arm, speed and ability to hit 15+ HR is not a scrap heap OF

QUOTE (Knackattack @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
Nearly everyone that reported on that trade has said that Cordell's floor is a 4th outfielder but that he has a great chance to be a regular OF. Good defense, arm, speed and ability to hit 15+ HR is not a scrap heap OF

And we (close to desperately) need as much power as we can get...

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 04:07 PM)
Holy christ is that selling low on Casey Gillaspie. Is there something we don't know about why he's struggling in AAA this year?

He is on the DL with a broken toe but should be back in a couple weeks as long as he doesn't do a Tilson

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:12 AM)
Where will Gillaspie fall on the prospect list for the Sox? He was the Rays' #10, but I imagine he'll be quite a bit lower in our system. Somewhere in the 20s?

50 FV on MLBPIPELINE. Cordell is the last 50 FV, and he is at 18. So I'd guess somewhere between 17 and 19.

I just stared at that top 30 from pipeline for like 5 minutes and was just laughing. These last two trades just bumped Nicky Delmonico and Bernardo Flores. Delmonico may be able to play in the majors and not embarrass himself and he can't even make our top 30. We might literally have so many major league capable guys next year that some are going to have to stay in AAA. I just can't believe how much this system has changed in one year. Obviously we still have work to do to become the kind of system with sustained success, but this is a hell of a one year turn around.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
Huge list of players to get at-bats for now...

Hayes will probably get pushed out by Gillaspie/Delmonico/Asche.

Feeling Tilson has little to no future due to his lack of power playing 81 games in Chicago.

Then you've got Cordell, Willy Garcia, Liriano, Engel, Leury (who might have to move back to SS), Avi Garcia (upon return), Hanson, Sanchez, Saladino, obviously Matt Davidson until they find someone better. Maybe, just maybe, Eddie Alvarez or Peter.

That's 14-16 players there alone. Plus, Abreu is ensconced somewhere in there, either at 1B or DH.

How many of them will be on the next Sox playoff team, one wonders...

If we're struggling to find atbats for any of these guys that's a good sign. I figure some will produce and they'll be rewarded with playing time and the rest are roster filler at Charlotte. All of these guys are lucky to have this opportunity and hopefully some of them will stick.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)
I just stared at that top 30 from pipeline for like 5 minutes and was just laughing. These last two trades just bumped Nicky Delmonico and Bernardo Flores. Delmonico may be able to play in the majors and not embarrass himself and he can't even make our top 30. We might literally have so many major league capable guys next year that some are going to have to stay in AAA. I just can't believe how much this system has changed in one year. Obviously we still have work to do to become the kind of system with sustained success, but this is a hell of a one year turn around.

A guy like Seby Zavala has absolutely played himself into our top 30 for sure. I would put him above Nunez and Martinez for sure

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 11:35 AM)
Hopefully by that time, Delmonico is just in the majors playing LF post-Melky trade or DHing.

They won't just stick him out in a major league outfield without significant preparation.

We'll see other outfielders over him at this point, like a Cordell/Polo/W.Garcia/Liriano.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
They won't just stick him out in a major league outfield without significant preparation.

We'll see other outfielders over him at this point, like a Cordell/Polo/W.Garcia/Liriano.

Delmonico has played a decent amount of OF the past two years. Definitely not his main position, but its not like they're throwing him out there without any preparation.

In fact, I am a little surprised they went with Willy instead of Delmonico. May as well give the guy an opportunity at some point.

Edited by ChiSox59

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)

Just looked at the prospect rankings from the end of 2015. The Sox #2, #3, and #4 prospects on that list are currently #12, #16, and NR.