Attendance Thread II

caulfield12

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:13 PM)
Realistically, how much longer are the Sox expected to remain in the existing stadium? I'll agree it has been upgraded and isn't a bad park, but are we looking at ten years? Twenty? Thirty?

The current lease is up in 2029.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Mighty Mite @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 06:22 PM)
The current lease is up in 2029.

Will be interesting to see what decision is made in the next decade about a future stadium. Could be a very good opportunity to relocate?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)
Will be interesting to see what decision is made in the next decade about a future stadium. Could be a very good opportunity to relocate?

They won't get any help from the city or state. I think they are where they are long term.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 06:30 PM)
If the Sox build a new stadium it will be a colossal waste of money. The nice party about the Cell's initial cookie cutter interior is that it made it extremely upgradeable.

For now? Absolutely. For the long term future of the franchise, new ownership will likely explore building a stadium after the current lease is up.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 06:35 PM)
Inevitable new ownership may have a big influence on what happens^

IF there is new ownership in the next few years...it'll take years of lobbying, and a dramatic change in the economic/political conditions of Illinois, but if sometime around 2030 they can get a stadium package together, that's a great way to push up their franchise value.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 07:34 PM)
For now? Absolutely. For the long term future of the franchise, new ownership will likely explore building a stadium after the current lease is up.

They can privately fund it.

If the stadium gets the job done (it does) and has ease of access (does it get any easier?) There is no reason to waste tax dollars on a stadium.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
They can privately fund it.

If the stadium gets the job done (it does) and has ease of access (does it get any easier?) There is no reason to waste tax dollars on a stadium.

Agreed. If ownership or new ownership wants to build a new stadium at a different location that's all well and good as long as THEY pay for it (which frankly isn't likely to happen. I can think of only two cases where it did, Joe Robbie paid for and built the Dolphins stadium and Peter McGowan built the Giants baseball park.)

If that is not going to happen I have a hard time thinking the city / state will pay for a new one when the old one is still perfectly fine. We're not talking about a 100 year old stadium are we?

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
If JR had done it right when the new stadium was built we wouldn't be complaining about the attendance and stadium. All he had to do was build a nice stadium in a good location, which he didn't do.

For what it's worth I think the next White Sox stadium will be built by the United Center when the present lease runs out.

Sigh. Same old, same old...rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

I think the next stadium will be exactly in the same location when the lease runs out because they'll still be using THAT stadium. Absolutely nothing wrong with it after the roughly 70 million dollars in improvements over the years.

QUOTE (JPR @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 06:26 PM)
Hey Tinley orland frankfort Palos hills palos park Mokena new Lenox homer glen Olympia fields we are talking millionaires...rest in peace but Bernie mac lived down there twista too. R Kelly. The drummer for styx...way more families with bundles of cash to blow. Tinley is the spot and the reason why it's been the #1 concert destination for a list bands for decades on end...nothing but money and disposable income down there. And it's still growing unlike the west suburbs. Will county has been on fire for years when it comes to population booms.

Those stadiums in da burbs work flawlessly. Especially here in arizona and for our neighbors in Cali too.

Where do the diamondbacks and suns play? Down town Phoenix?

And how well do the coyotes draw in Glendale?

And how about that white sox attendance in Glendale too?

And why is it that the NFL puts almost all the super bowl

Activities in Phoenix instead of Glendale, where the actual game is being played?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 08:14 PM)
I really wonder if Illinois will risk losing the Sox over a stadium?

I would venture to say the prospect of using public funds will become less likely with each passing year. If they can't get a deal with the city in the next 5 years the odds of it happening 10-20 years down the line are probably lesser.

Not sure what this has to Do with attendance, but the state has mechanisms to pay for a new facility. The hotel tax that paid for the current park will still be collected after the soldier field bonds are paid off. Most likely they will use that income to build a new park. One with a lease less favorable to the sox of course.

QUOTE (Lip Man 1 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 07:18 PM)
Sigh. Same old, same old...rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat.

I think the next stadium will be exactly in the same location when the lease runs out because they'll still be using THAT stadium. Absolutely nothing wrong with it after the roughly 70 million dollars in improvements over the years.

Atlanta replaced a 20'year of facility. The sox will have a new park by the 100th anniversary of the all star game

Please, someone explain why the White Sox need a new stadium, what The Cell can't provide to necessitate the change, where the new stadium would be and who is paying for it?

While I haven't been to all of the stadiums in major league baseball, the The Cell's concourse level is phenomenal. The upper deck sucks, but whenever I'm at the Cell I'll probably spend two or three innings walking the concourse and enjoying the game from various areas.

http://afterburnham.com/armour-field/

I'd love for the above field to be something they'd look at when The Cell actually begins to fall apart - build it on top of the old Comiskey site and try to blend the best aspects of The Cell and Comiskey.

They have nothing to worry about. First, they almost already lost them. It took a lot of arm twisting,, but if MLB hasn't fled Oakland or Tampa yet, they aren't going to flee Chicago with a better stadium, and more revenue.

I don't know why this is even discussed. The White Sox make money.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:32 AM)
I'd love for the above field to be something they'd look at when The Cell actually begins to fall apart - build it on top of the old Comiskey site and try to blend the best aspects of The Cell and Comiskey.

When the lease ends, this stadium will be nearly 40 years old. We may not see it, but guarantee that there will be some parts of the structure inside showing their age by then. What level of "fall apart" are we talking about?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 07:16 AM)
When the lease ends, this stadium will be nearly 40 years old. We may not see it, but guarantee that there will be some parts of the structure inside showing their age by then. What level of "fall apart" are we talking about?

Another thing most don't see is how much maintenance is done on the park. Anyone who has gone to past Grinder Bashes has seen during White Sox road trips, entire sections of seats gone, redoing concrete in several sections. Sure there will be some wear and tear, but they have kept on top of it for the most part. Something they didn't do for years at the old park which lasted over 80 seasons. So that shouldn't be much of a problem.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 05:32 AM)
Please, someone explain why the White Sox need a new stadium, what The Cell can't provide to necessitate the change, where the new stadium would be and who is paying for it?

While I haven't been to all of the stadiums in major league baseball, the The Cell's concourse level is phenomenal. The upper deck sucks, but whenever I'm at the Cell I'll probably spend two or three innings walking the concourse and enjoying the game from various areas.

http://afterburnham.com/armour-field/

Why- Because fans wont show up to the Rate unless the Sox are a consistent playoff contender, which they haven't been since the 1910's.

What- The Cell does not provide a spot where fans can come early to the game and go home late. There is nothing to do outside of watching baseball. Not hotels, bars, stores, tourist attractions, etc within the scope of the park. There also isn't much foot traffic around the Park unless there is a Sox game going on.

Where- Roosevelt was a proposed location and that would be great. There are always people walking around that area and it could turn into a Sox community so to speak. People can spend their day or night in the area and close by. Families from the burbs or out of town can be tourisy or even stay at a hotel nearby if they have a little too much fun.

Who will pay- The same folks who always do sadly. But if they make that move I would turn the stadium into an entertainment center for all types of events.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 08:49 AM)
Why- Because fans wont show up to the Rate unless the Sox are a consistent playoff contender, which they haven't been since the 1910's.

What- The Cell does not provide a spot where fans can come early to the game and go home late. There is nothing to do outside of watching baseball. Not hotels, bars, stores, tourist attractions, etc within the scope of the park. There also isn't much foot traffic around the Park unless there is a Sox game going on.

Where- Roosevelt was a proposed location and that would be great. There are always people walking around that area and it could turn into a Sox community so to speak. People can spend their day or night in the area and close by. Families from the burbs or out of town can be tourisy or even stay at a hotel nearby if they have a little too much fun.

Who will pay- The same folks who always do sadly. But if they make that move I would turn the stadium into an entertainment center for all types of events.

Exactly what was/is around that Roosevelt location that would bring people in early and have them stay late? The Target?

That is just another White Sox fan excuse. The ChiSox bar and grill has half priced apps after every game. After every game it is empty.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:10 AM)
I repeat: the American league champions draw over 1000 per game more than the last place sox. And that is after play By MORE home dates.

Sox are doing just fine.

The Indians have very nearly the worst fan base in all of baseball. Outside of Oakland and Tampa, you don't really get much lower. That comparison honestly makes it worse, not better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:14 AM)
The Indians have very nearly the worst fan base in all of baseball. Outside of Oakland and Tampa, you don't really get much lower. That comparison honestly makes it worse, not better.

One team town and the American League champions. And a fan base that sold out games for 8 years straight.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 09:18 AM)
One team town and the American League champions. And a fan base that sold out games for 8 years straight.

And outside of that 8 year stretch they are the historical absolute worst fan base of all of the old time franchises.