Teams are asking about Holland

iWiN4PreP

MLB.com's Mark Feinsand reports that Derek Holland is drawing some interest.

Holland has had an up-and-down season, posting a 5.12 ERA and 82/42 K/BB ratio over 102 innings for the White Sox. However, apparently that hasn't stopped teams from asking Chicago about the left-hander. Feinsand adds that Melky Cabrera has not been drawing much interest but could be dealt in August.

QUOTE (iWin4Ron @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
MLB.com's Mark Feinsand reports that Derek Holland is drawing some interest.

Holland has had an up-and-down season, posting a 5.12 ERA and 82/42 K/BB ratio over 102 innings for the White Sox. However, apparently that hasn't stopped teams from asking Chicago about the left-hander. Feinsand adds that Melky Cabrera has not been drawing much interest but could be dealt in August.

Yes, it's more in the lines of, if you pay his entire salary, and we give you back basically nothing we may have some interest in acquiring him. At this point, someone has to pitch. Unless you are getting someone with a plus tool, and not your typical 25 year old in high A stinking up the joint, you might as well let him get killed for you.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)
Yes, it's more in the lines of, if you pay his entire salary, and we give you back basically nothing we may have some interest in acquiring him. At this point, someone has to pitch. Unless you are getting someone with a plus tool, and not your typical 25 year old in high A stinking up the joint, you might as well let him get killed for you.

Did I miss someone expecting a big return for Holland?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:31 PM)

Yep. I could see Holland moving at the end of August. He's not moving before then.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:33 PM)
Did I miss someone expecting a big return for Holland?

I'm confused as to why any team would be interested in Holland? He's a veteran with a 6.02 FIP this season and a negative WAR. Most teams have somebody in AAA they could call up and put up at least a 6.00 FIP down the stretch?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:34 PM)
I'm confused as to why any team would be interested in Holland? He's a veteran with a 6.02 FIP this season and a negative WAR. Most teams have somebody in AAA they could call up and put up at least a 6.00 FIP down the stretch?

Honestly the fact that anyone wants him is the headline here. He is going to generate a garbage return at best.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
Honestly the fact that anyone wants him is the headline here. He is going to generate a garbage return at best.

What could a two month rental for Holland possibly be worth? Gonzalez might have some value, but I can't believe anyone would trade for Holland.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)

Of course, but find a guy who can't play but is fast, or is a good defender. Or some guy who whiffs all the time but has some power. Or a 24 year old in A ball who has a 9.00 ERA and walks a guy an inning, but can throw 97. A Courtney Hawkins, Jared Mitchell equivalent, and pay the freight. At least there is a million to one hope. And if teams don't want to give you that, then keep him in the rotation.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
Of course, but find a guy who can't play but is fast, or is a good defender. Or some guy who whiffs all the time but has some power. Or a 24 year old in A ball who has a 9.00 ERA and walks a guy an inning, but can throw 97. A Courtney Hawkins, Jared Mitchell equivalent, and pay the freight. At least there is a million to one hope. And if teams don't want to give you that, then keep him in the rotation.

You find the best offer you can get and ship him out. Even a C level guy is better than nothing.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
I enjoy Holland's personality...that has some value, right?

Yeah, he keeps the team loose. His last 41 2/3 innings, he has given up 42 earned runs and 16 homers. That's like James Shields last season. It's hard to believe any contender would add him to the roster. If he were traded, it would seem to be to be the equal to KW eventually got his man. Someone who was high on him years ago, and now is just high.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)
Yeah, he keeps the team loose. His last 41 2/3 innings, he has given up 42 earned runs and 16 homers. That's like James Shields last season. It's hard to believe any contender would add him to the roster. If he were traded, it would seem to be to be the equal to KW eventually got his man. Someone who was high on him years ago, and now is just high.

Ya but he comes out to wrestling music and does does skits and stuff. Valuable to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 07:52 PM)
I guess you can't spell Holland without the lol.

Good line. He wouldn't be a good Independent League pitcher right now. He's rich, though, so he deserves credit for being set for life.