Cocaine epidemic in baseball

southsider2k5

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/major-...4b02a4ebb75150b

While many in the public might assume that baseball tests for recreational drugs, that is not generally the case. MLB’s Joint Drug Agreement bans so-called “drugs of abuse” like marijuana, cocaine, opiates and ecstasy, but does not test for them without “reasonable cause.” Spokespeople for MLB and the Players Association declined to comment on how many players are tested, citing confidentiality.

Without random testing, it is impossible to quantify use, and estimates vary. I asked four players, two active and two recently retired, to estimate cocaine and marijuana use in the league. Three of the players offered educated guesses that ranged from 5 percent to 25 percent for cocaine, and 25 percent to 75 percent for marijuana. A fourth player, this one a current star for a contending team, offered a more modest estimate, saying that “one or two guys” on his ballclub used either cocaine or marijuana.

MORE AT LINK

So, addiction is really bad.

However, these are adults, and I honestly don't care that much. I guess if they are doing it before a game it could be an advantage, but unless they are cheating I don't care that much. If they are having really bad addiction problems it's a different story.

The statistics match western society. Especially, given the Latin American connection. Look at the trillions of dollars the medical and legal marijuana industries are reaping. Maybe we should be like the Netherlands, Amsterdam in Europe, and legalize it all. Darwinism will take hold, so we will all be better off for it (society in general), and the amount of revenue coming in would be staggering...

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 11:45 PM)
I'm in my mid 20s. Honestly, those statistics match what I see from my age group. Coke is pretty prevalent.

Is it true almost 100 percent of NBA players use marijuana? What's your age group like with marijuana? Is it more popular than drinking? Give us a societal update on alcohol/drug consumption with 20 somethings please. And is beer no longer considered cool? I heard beer sales are in trouble cause millenials want hard drinks at the bars, wine popular outside of bars.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 06:45 PM)
I'm in my mid 20s. Honestly, those statistics match what I see from my age group. Coke is pretty prevalent.

Really? I knew a bunch of people using coke in the 80's; thought it was no longer a preferred drug.

I'm 26 and most of my friends, acquaintances, and people I associate with are between the ages of 20-30.

I would say 40-60% smoke weed, at least occasionally. I know a lot of people who stopped due to jobs/drug testing/applying for jobs, but would continue to smoke if they didn't have to worry about it affecting their job security.

I'm unsure about cocaine. I hear a lot of my friend's say "I can't believe how many people our age do coke, it's so widespread, even people you wouldn't think", but I've only seen it a handful of times myself, and that was from friends of friends I don't really associate with. So probably like 10-15%, but I could be way off.

Alcohol is widespread, easily 70%+.

Amphetamines (not meth, but Adderall and things like that) is another common one, especially among the college aged and those who work long hours and night shifts. I'd peg it at like 20-35%.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Really? I knew a bunch of people using coke in the 80's; thought it was no longer a preferred drug.

I hear a lot of people my age talking about how prevalent it is among our age group, but I very rarely see it, and I've always enjoyed a good party and having a good time so it's not like I'm in a situation where I wouldn't be exposed to it if it truly is widespread.

Maybe it's more widespread among the club scene, which has never been my thing.

Also, I think it'd be relatively easy to deduce who the writer of the article's source is, as you can narrow it down by players who retired after last season who was with 3 different orgs during their career. How many players retire each year anyway? Probably not a ton. Once you figure him out, you can likely narrow down the "rookie infielder" from the lede sentence, as well as the current all-star.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 09:20 PM)
I'm 26 and most of my friends, acquaintances, and people I associate with are between the ages of 20-30.

I would say 40-60% smoke weed, at least occasionally. I know a lot of people who stopped due to jobs/drug testing/applying for jobs, but would continue to smoke if they didn't have to worry about it affecting their job security.

I'm unsure about cocaine. I hear a lot of my friend's say "I can't believe how many people our age do coke, it's so widespread, even people you wouldn't think", but I've only seen it a handful of times myself, and that was from friends of friends I don't really associate with. So probably like 10-15%, but I could be way off.

Alcohol is widespread, easily 70%+.

Amphetamines (not meth, but Adderall and things like that) is another common one, especially among the college aged and those who work long hours and night shifts. I'd peg it at like 20-35%.

Cokes more popular in the club scenes and richer areas. Not much coke being snorted in middle or upper middle class areas. Weed is popular across all demographics though for sure, and while I think 40-60% is probably high for 20-30, that would probably be about right if it was made legal.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 08:30 PM)
Also, I think it'd be relatively easy to deduce who the writer of the article's source is, as you can narrow it down by players who retired after last season who was with 3 different orgs during their career. How many players retire each year anyway? Probably not a ton. Once you figure him out, you can likely narrow down the "rookie infielder" from the lede sentence, as well as the current all-star.

I tried to research it for about 20 minutes. I think they intentionally used misleading information knowing that you'd be able to figure it out. There was no one that really fit the bill.

I'm actually kind of surprised about the cocaine. I always thought that had sort of come and gone in the mainstream. I used to have it offered to me a lot at parties and other things, but it's been at least 15 years since I have actually seen it around.

I did play on a rec softball team with an emergency room nurse. She once said they can tell if you have done coke one time in your life if they look at some xray or something. Supposedly even just once, you get some sort of phlem accumulating around your heart. I was always afraid I might like it, that's why when offered I always said no. After hearing this, I was too scared.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 02:43 PM)
I'm actually kind of surprised about the cocaine. I always thought that had sort of come and gone in the mainstream. I used to have it offered to me a lot at parties and other things, but it's been at least 15 years since I have actually seen it around.

I did play on a rec softball team with an emergency room nurse. She once said they can tell if you have done coke one time in your life if they look at some xray or something. Supposedly even just once, you get some sort of phlem accumulating around your heart. I was always afraid I might like it, that's why when offered I always said no. After hearing this, I was too scared.

I have never actually seen it, but I could have easily gotten involved with it. Anybody who has gone to college and partied to any extent could find it if they really wanted. Like you, I was afraid that I'd like it too much and that it'd be a tailspin from there.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
I have never actually seen it, but I could have easily gotten involved with it. Anybody who has gone to college and partied to any extent could find it if they really wanted. Like you, I was afraid that I'd like it too much and that it'd be a tailspin from there.

Cocaine is pretty big in higher end circles. Would make complete sense that anyone making millions would be around it/ taking it. MDMA is all the rage, but that is mainly because its usually cheaper.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jul 31, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
Cocaine is pretty big in higher end circles. Would make complete sense that anyone making millions would be around it/ taking it. MDMA is all the rage, but that is mainly because its usually cheaper.

Meth has always been big around in the grain belt. However, heroin has made a large push in recent years too, some of which is probably likely due to the oil boom over the past decade.

I drink and chew tobacco. Those are the only substances I need in my life, and the idea is to eventually quit or greatly diminish usage of those too.

Not too surprising. Ball players have the money, want the high energy and if I recall cocaine is out of the system pretty quick so it would be less risky getting caught in a drug test.

Never had interest in cocaine. Have always been wound a little tight so I didn't need the help. Besides, people on cocaine are f***ing annoying as all hell. They can't sit still, won't stop sniffing or stop yapping about f***ing nonsense.