Who Should Be In The Lineup Next Year?

Lillian

Although the rebuild, aka; "house cleaning," is likely not quite finished, it's not too early to begin to think about the Major League roster for next year. Almost all of the young guys will be vying for their various positions down on the farm, while the parent club bides its time, and looks forward to a few more high draft picks next June and in 2019. Nevertheless, there are benefits to grooming a few players, who may either become part of the equation for 2019, or be decent trade candidates, used to fill other needs. In any case, someone has to play!!!!

In that context, it would be fun and interesting to consider whom you all think might comprise the starting lineup, next year, while we all wait for 2019.

Here is my suggestion:

CF Adam Engel or Cordell. (Both are Right Handed). My rational is that both guys possess good enough tools and are now too old to waste more time in the Minors, where they would be taking up roster spots, needed for the very promising younger prospects. It's time to find out what they can do. Tilson is another name, but you have to wonder if he can stay healthy.

3B Jake Peter. (Left Handed) His recent emergence as an offensive contributor should boost his stock. I'd like to see him at third, as he is supposed to have a pretty good arm, being a former pitcher. He seems like a good candidate for the 2 hole, because of his good plate discipline and contact skills.

2B Yoan Moncada.(Switch Hitter) I realize that hitting him third may be putting some extra pressure on him, but having Abreu and Avi behind him, should provide a little protection for him, and help ensure that he sees more hittable pitches.

DH Jose Abreu. (RH) He is clearly the best hitter on this team. It's time to see if he can still be productive, while DH'ing, as that is likely to be his long term role, once the rebuilt team matures.

RF Avi Garcia. (RH) If he can finally realize his power potential, and learn to take his walks, he may be worth extending, but if not, he could be traded to fill any hole, in the next wave.

LF Nick Delmonico/Cody Asche (Both bat LH) The lineup needs another left handed hitter, and I'd like to see if either of these guys could produce at the next level. They are both having pretty good years, at AAA, especially vs RHP. Maybe one of them could platoon with Willie Garcia, whom I like.

1B Matt Davidson (RH) He has established himself as a legitimate power threat, but probably is better suited to first base, than the hot corner.

C Omar Narvaez (LH) I like his plate discipline and ability to draw walks. You may be surprised to know that he leads the team in OBP, even if he has no power. I'm not sure if he's good enough defensively. ????

SS Tim Anderson (RH) Well, he is signed long term, so these next 2 years are his chance to demonstrate that he can be part of this promising Sox future. I am still convinced that he must develop better plate discipline, if he is ever going to realize his potential. If not, SS will be a hole, going into that window of contention, starting in 2019 or 2020.

You'll note that this projected lineup does not include the acquisition of any veterans. I don't see the point in taking that route. Let's see who can either be part of the

future, or provide a trading chip. Sanchez and Leury top my list for the bench.

That leaves the pitching, which is going to be very interesting. Unless they start bringing the prospects, it's hard to imagine who is going to fill out the rotation, as well as the bullpen. That would be another interesting discussion. Any suggestions??

Edited by Lillian

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 08:57 AM)
Although the rebuild, aka; "house cleaning," is likely not quite finished, it's not too early to begin to think about the Major League roster for next year. Almost all of the young guys will be vying for their various positions down on the farm, while the parent club bides its time, and looks forward to a few more high draft picks next June and in 2019. Nevertheless, there are benefits to grooming a few players, who may either become part of the equation for 2019, or be decent trade candidates, used to fill other needs. In any case, someone has to play!!!!

In that context, it would be fun and interesting to consider whom you all think might comprise the starting lineup, next year, while we all wait for 2019.

Here is my suggestion:

CF Adam Engel or Cordell. (Both are Right Handed). My rational is that both guys possess good enough tools and are now too old to waste more time in the Minors, where they would be taking up roster spots, needed for the very promising younger prospects. It's time to find out what they can do. Tilson is another name, but you have to wonder if he can stay healthy.

3B Jake Peter. (Left Handed) His recent emergence as an offensive contributor should boost his stock. I'd like to see him at third, as he is supposed to have a pretty good arm, being a former pitcher. He seems like a good candidate for the 2 hole, because of his good plate discipline and contact skills.

2B Yoan Moncada.(Switch Hitter) I realize that hitting him third may be putting some extra pressure on him, but having Abreu and Avi behind him, should provide a little protection for him, and help ensure that he sees more hittable pitches.

DH Jose Abreu. (RH) He is clearly the best hitter on this team. It's time to see if he can still be productive, while DH'ing, as that is likely to be his long term role, once the rebuilt team matures.

RF Avi Garcia. (RH) If he can finally realize his power potential, and learn to take his walks, he may be worth extending, but if not, he could be traded to fill any hole, in the next wave.

LF Nick Delmonico/Cody Asche (Both bat LH) The lineup needs another left handed hitter, and I'd like to see if either of these guys could produce at the next level. They are both having pretty good years, at AAA, especially vs RHP. Maybe one of them could platoon with Willie Garcia, whom I like.

1B Matt Davidson (RH) He has established himself as a legitimate power threat, but probably is better suited to first base, than the hot corner.

C Omar Narvaez (LH) I like his plate discipline and ability to draw walks. You may be surprised to know that he leads the team in OBP, even if he has no power. I'm not sure if he's good enough defensively. ????

SS Time Anderson (RH) Well, he is signed long term, so these next 2 years are his chance to demonstrate that he can be part of this promising Sox future. I am still convinced that he must develop better plate discipline, if he is ever going to realize his potential. If not, SS will be a hole, going into that window of contention, starting in 2019 or 2020.

You'll note that this projected lineup does not include the acquisition of any veterans. I don't see the point in taking that route. Let's see who can either be part of the

That leaves the pitching, which is going to be very interesting. Unless they start bringing the prospects, it's hard to imagine who is going to fill out the rotation, as well as the bullpen. That would be another interesting discussion. Any suggestions??

Love most of this if not all of it. Engel has to play. Davidson has to play. I want to see the Narvaez Smith platoon for another year as well. Narvaez has some batting skills you can't teach.

Agree on no vets for the offense.

The FO needs to focus their attention on signing as many Swarzaks and Kahnles possible to flip. Easier said than done, but if any team has an advantage, it's the Sox. Use our strength. Find pitchers to flip.

Put Shields out to pasture.

Nice post.

That was a well put together post. I agree with most of it. Very realistic too.

I think Tilson will get his shot. I also think Gilaspie will get his shot too. Asche had his. I think they like Willy Garcia a decent amount too. I can see them trying to hit on a few washed up former 1st or 2nd round picks.

We have the luxury of tryin got hit gold while we suck, so I see Hahn pursuing that route this summer

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)

I think Tilson will get his shot. I also think Gilaspie will get his shot too. Asche had his. I think they like Willy Garcia a decent amount too. I can see them trying to hit on a few washed up former 1st or 2nd round picks.

We have the luxury of tryin got hit gold while we suck, so I see Hahn pursuing that route this summer

Unless Tilson can play top 5-10% defense, steal 30-50 bags (see injuries)...there's just no way he's not a 4th/5th outfielder, at best.

Basically, he's what you would get if you stuck Saladino out there right now, with less strikeouts and a higher OBP.

My guess at the lineup:

C - Omar Narvaez, since all of the catching prospects are in A-ball.

1B - Abreu/Casey Gillaspie

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Davidson/Sanchez

LF - Leury

CF - Engel

RF - Avi

DH - Abreu/Davidson

Oh, boy.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)

Thanks for the input. I also like Gillaspie, but don't you think that they will want to see him get back on track, at AAA, before they bring him up?

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 09:22 AM)
Leury and Sanchez will both get spots over Delmonico/Asche/Peter.

Yes, I love both of those little guys. I was trying to find a decent defensive third baseman, and another LH bat. You know me. I "loves me" those left handed bats, especially in the middle of the order. Without Melky, they are going to be short a decent bat, from the left side. Moncada would be the only one.

In addition to being a decent infield defender, Peter is intriguing, because he had also previously be concentrating on pitching, as well as hitting, yet has seemed to figure it out pretty quickly. It would be interesting to see if he could fill the #2 hole, with his good contact skills.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 11:17 AM)
Yes, I love both of those little guys. I was trying to find a decent defensive third baseman, and another LH bat. You know me. I "loves me" those left handed bats, especially in the middle of the order. Without Melky, they are going to be short a decent bat, from the left side. Moncada would be the only one.

Lineup construction isn't going to be a priority next year.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)

Scouting reports go back and forth on whether or not Delmonico is a butcher at third and Yolmer/Leury both have had way more AAA success than Peter has to this point. I've always liked Peter, but if he's a starter he either blew past expectations or something has gone very, very wrong.

Asche is a non-factor and is AAAA fodder.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 12:18 PM)

Also this. In a perfect scenario, the future will have Moncada, Collins, Rutherford and Sheets/Gillaspie providing balance from the left handed side. But that is well down the road.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)

That's a good point. I guess I have to remind myself that winning with these guys is not a priority. They need to concentrate on development, so who cares?

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
Scouting reports go back and forth on whether or not Delmonico is a butcher at third and Yolmer/Leury both have had way more AAA success than Peter has to this point. I've always liked Peter, but if he's a starter he either blew past expectations or something has gone very, very wrong.

Asche is a non-factor and is AAAA fodder.

Also this. In a perfect scenario, the future will have Moncada, Collins, Rutherford and Sheets/Gillaspie providing balance from the left handed side. But that is well down the road.

You are absolutely right and you can imagine how happy that prospect makes me. It's great that they are finally stock piling some very promising left handed hitters.

Nice post by Lillian. My own opinion of next year's team is quite simple. Play / acquire anyone who MAY be of some value in two years assuming the team has turned things around. Find out if any of those guys can contribute to a good team at the major league level in various ways.

2018 is about continuing to develop depth and talent, not wins and losses. Oh, and to get another very high draft pick.

But on the flipside lineup construction is going to be crucial and needs to be done perfectly. With so many prospects and interesting fringy prospects, the Sox need to somehow give everyone a shot. The problem might be TOO many prospects in between AAA and the majors to give everyone enough time to see what's what. Gotta figure out a few to cut bait on by the end of this year.

For example, I'd love to see a whole year of Engel. But Leury was killing it and Tilson might be a sleeper. "Where they gonna play???"

Only got a year or two til the Big Tymers lock down spots, good or bad. Burger, Robert, Eloy etc won't be splitting time when they come up.

It's going to be tough to see who's good or bad in the upper levels in a year+. Took Avi like 4 years and some people STILL aren't sure about him, and justifiably so. Don't have that kinda time everywhere. Maybe Narvaez and Smith have some rope.

Edited by Jerksticks

Just to add another note on Jake Peter: He has an 18 game hitting streak, including his first 9 games with Charlotte, in which he also has hit 4 homers. Going back to

July 7TH, which was the last game in which he went hitless, the 5 games previous to that 0 for 4 night, he was 11 for 20 including three 3 hit games. The guy has been on fire, and his raised his average and OBP to very respectable levels. Pretty impressive for a former pitcher. He'll be an interesting player to follow, the rest of the season. I suspect that he is opening some eyes. Does anyone have any insight into what might account for the sudden improvement?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 02:57 PM)

Here is my suggestion:

SS Time Anderson (RH) Well, he is signed long term, so these next 2 years are his chance to demonstrate that he can be part of this promising Sox future. I am still convinced that he must develop better plate discipline, if he is ever going to realize his potential. If not, SS will be a hole, going into that window of contention, starting in 2019 or 2020.

It depends. If the Sox truly do want to finish last again, wink wink, your post is beautiful. That's a 40 win team (depending on the pitching staff I guess). If you go with the type of starters they had this year (your Holland, Pelfrey, Shields taking 3 of the 5 slots) and don't use a real closer, it's a 40-45 win team.

If you are actually trying to win, well your lineup may be quite different.

Yes Greg, that suggested roster was not assembled, with the intent of winning. It's about development, both for the players on that roster, as well as the future "stars," down on the farm. It's all in preparation for 2019 and beyond.

Edited by Lillian

I have a feeling they are looking at making a free agent splash this offseason. KC is not going to let Hosmer walk, but that could open Moustakas up to be swiped. 4 years/$80m seems reasonable for both sides, if not a little bit of a bargain for the Sox. Free agency isn't what it used to be, though.

dh Davidson/Delmonico/Gillaspie (or Abreu and one of these guys plays the field)

c Narvaez/Smith (perhaps a FA)

1b Abreu

2b Moncada

ss Anderson

3b Moustakas

lf Delmonico/Cordell/Polo

cf Engel/Leury (possible FA)

rf Avi

Gotta like that infield, especially if Anderson figures it out. Sox don't have much at 3b really, if Burger mashes his way to the majors the DH spot can be used to get him AB's.

I would be very surprised if they make any significant free agent acquisitions. It seems more plausible that they will wait, both to see what their needs are going to be, and to save their financial capital for the coming window of contention.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Jul 29, 2017 -> 06:29 PM)
I have a feeling they are looking at making a free agent splash this offseason. KC is not going to let Hosmer walk, but that could open Moustakas up to be swiped. 4 years/$80m seems reasonable for both sides, if not a little bit of a bargain for the Sox. Free agency isn't what it used to be, though.

I think Moustakas has hit the jackpot with the timing of this season in which he's become a power hitter deluxe. Boston or the Yankees figure to offer more than 4 years 80 million. Don't you think he's headed to Boston for money we can't even imagine?