Who Should Be In The Lineup Next Year?

Lillian

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 11:55 AM)
I don't think Engel ever figures it out offensively and I would definitely play Luery over him in CF next year. And I honestly think Willy, Delmonico, & Cordell all deserve playing time over him in LF as well. Best case scenario IMO is Engel hits enough to be a solid 4th OF.

I agree. That said, the point that his defense could help out our young pitchers is definitely a fair one.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of the players we've seen this year:

Davidson, Delmonico, L Garcia for sure. (And obviously Moncada, Avi, Anderson and Abreu).

Maybe: really, the rest of them, but Sanchez, Saladino, Narvaez, W. Garcia. The Sox just don't have that many to call up.

Pitching: Rodon, Jones, Putnam. That's about it. They'll likely bring back a few of the other guys by default, but I don't see much promise.

2018 regulars

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada

SS - Anderson

3B - Davidson - Unless someone comes along and pushes him to DH.

C - Smith/Narvaez - neither look like starters to me. They split time until something better comes along.

LF - Delmonico - I think the bat plays. LF might be an adventure for a while. Future DH candidate.

CF - Engel - His defense has earned him time to see if the bat ever comes around. Might only ever be a 4th OF but deserves the shot to prove otherwise.

RF - Avi. I personally think Allstar Avi is a mirage, but unless the FO is blown away by an offer in the offseason he starts in RF.

DH - rotation between Davidson, Delmonico, Abreu, and Avi.

UT - Saladino - Love his glove and versatility. Bat is probably no better than what we have seen.

Rotation

Rodon

R Lopez

?

?

?

Pen

?????

Fringe

Yolmer Sanchez - FO probably tries to find a new home for him in the offseason. Great glove at 2B, but lacks the versatility to be a good Util.

Leury Garcia - Never been a fan of his. Glove is barely passable in the OF, and never liked him at SS. Speed is pretty useless if you can't get on base. 4th OF?

Alen Hanson - MEH.

Willy Garcia - I like what little I have seen. Probably doesn't play much if he is back before the end of the year. I like his glove more than Avi's but I don't know where he gets time. LF/RF/DH?

Stack the losses...

C: Narvaez/Smith (would also be ok with veteran backup signing)

1B: Abreu/Gillaspie/Delmonico

2B: Moncada

3B: Davidson

SS: Anderson

LF: Delmonico

CF: Cordell

RF: A. Garica (if not traded, then probably a combo of other borderline guys Cordell/Delmonico/W. Garcia/Engel)

DH: Gillaspie/Delmonico/Abreu

Bench:

C: whoever is sitting out of Narvaez/Smith/possible vet signing

IF: Sanchez

OF: Engel

UTIL: L. Garcia

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Uh, leury has been one of the Sox' best players. He is a sell high guy or surefire starting cf next year.

Leury will probably be in LF. Engel in CF. Delmonico at DH.

Send Engel back to AAA, and give him at least half a season to work on his hitting. He was in A ball in 2016, so he moved up pretty quickly.

Delmonico's bat is ready - give him time in the field to see if he can be a legit LF.

Avi plays RF; hope he has another good year and then move him in July.

IF won't be changed much from where it is.

But then there is the pitching......

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 10:53 AM)
Send Engel back to AAA, and give him at least half a season to work on his hitting. He was in A ball in 2016, so he moved up pretty quickly.

Delmonico's bat is ready - give him time in the field to see if he can be a legit LF.

Avi plays RF; hope he has another good year and then move him in July.

IF won't be changed much from where it is.

But then there is the pitching......

Pitching, you got:

1. Rodon

2. Shields

3. Lopez

4. Danish

5. Veteran signing

Release one of Shields, cheap veteran signing or both when Giolito and/or Fulmer is ready. Or they can replace Danish.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 09:59 AM)
Pitching, you got:

1. Rodon

2. Shields

3. Lopez

4. Danish

5. Veteran signing

Release one of Shields, cheap veteran signing or both when Giolito and/or Fulmer is ready. Or they can replace Danish.

Seems they will push Fulmer, Adams and Guerrero since they're the most "expendable" now after the top guys...even Clarkin.

Covey perhaps gets another shot.

What is the incentive to release Shields unless he's holding someone back? Who exactly is being blocked now? Giolito?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
Pitching, you got:

1. Rodon

2. Shields

3. Lopez

4. Danish

5. Veteran signing

I'd give either the 4 or 5 spot to Guerrero or Stephens. Both should get plenty of starts for the White Sox next season. I don't see Danish as a starter at all, so I don't even see the point in trying to force that, but I suppose I'd be fine with him in the rotation to start the year and give Guerrero, Stephens, Fulmer and Giolito more time in AAA.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:59 AM)
Pitching, you got:

1. Rodon

2. Shields

3. Lopez

4. Danish

5. Veteran signing

I don't think Danish or Fulmer are starters anymore...future rotation guys are Kopech, Giolito, Lopez, Hansen, Dunning, maybe Clarkin

As long as Giolito isn't getting completely lit up in spring training you figure they'll give him a rotation spot.

Rodon

Shields

Lopez

Giolito

Scrub Vet

It's going to be interesting trying to figure out the whole org depth chart for starting pitchers. It's kinda of insane but it's entirely possible we'll be starting a legit prospect with no org fillers top to bottom through the entire organization.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:13 AM)
I wouldn't be shocked if Kopech got a hard look during Spring for an MLB rotation spot.

I would be absolutely floored. I don't think Kopech pitches in the bigs until 2019. I could see him getting a few starts next September, I suppose. Or if the Sox are somehow in the WC race some mid July (highly highly highly unlikey) and Kopech is making mincemeat of AAA, maybe the Sox bring him up.

I'd put the odds of him breaking camp with the big league club next year at less than 1/100.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:18 AM)
I would be absolutely floored. I don't think Kopech pitches in the bigs until 2019. I could see him getting a few starts next September, I suppose. Or if the Sox are somehow in the WC race some mid July (highly highly highly unlikey) and Kopech is making mincemeat of AAA, maybe the Sox bring him up.

I'd put the odds of him breaking camp with the big league club next year at less than 1/100.

Even if his recent progress in walking guys is a long term trend, his season IP totals are still going to be really low. I think Kopech comes to camp, but goes to Charlotte and then we will see what he is really made of pitching that ballpark. With the team we are going to put on the field in 2018, there isn't any reason to start his clock early anyway.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 10:20 AM)
Next year the big win with Kopech is him being healthy and getting to at least 160 innings. Pushing him to big leagues would make me lose considerable confidence in our player development.

Kopech will likely be allowed to play out 3-4 more starts in August and then be shut down until spring training. He should be in mlb camp, but needs to spend a considerable amount of time in AAA Charlotte continuing to work on command and building up innings.

I'd like to see him spend a good amount of 2018 in AAA, but if a player forces the issue then it must be considered.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:20 AM)
Next year the big win with Kopech is him being healthy and getting to at least 160 innings. Pushing him to big leagues would make me lose considerable confidence in our player development.

I don't understand this mind set. If he goes a few months next year with the continued improved walk rate what's the point of keeping him in the minor leagues? Best thing for his development will be to face the best competition and be with the best pitching coach in our organization.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't know how well Kopech will end up taking Lopez + Giolito getting the call before him. He doesn't strike me as the type to be chill about that

They're farther along in their development than he is. You're talking about a guy who has never thrown more than 65 innings in a season until this year.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
They're farther along in their development than he is. You're talking about a guy who has never thrown more than 65 innings in a season until this year.

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense, I'm saying I don't think he would view it the same way.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
I don't know how well Kopech will end up taking Lopez + Giolito getting the call before him. He doesn't strike me as the type to be chill about that

They started at a higher level than him, I'm sure he knew this was going to be the case. Even if he's not chill about it, he seems to be the type of dude that would just work harder because of it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
I don't understand this mind set. If he goes a few months next year with the continued improved walk rate what's the point of keeping him in the minor leagues? Best thing for his development will be to face the best competition and be with the best pitching coach in our organization.

Why rush him? This is going to be a replacement level team next year. We shouldn't be in any hurry to burn service time until we need to.