Melky Cabrera Traded To Royals

Sleepy Harold

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Or if they fix whatever is wrong with him ala Tommy Kahnle.

Just looking at his numbers is doesn't seem like there's something glaringly wrong. Looks like he's gotten a little hit around and he's had some bad luck, but he's got the stuff and peripherals that indicate he should be more successful.

9.14 K/9

2.42 BB/9

3.98 FIP

3.62 xFIP

But

.348 BABIP

65.6 LOB%

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
Nice deal. A couple interesting guys that may be a part of the Sox pen in the future. No complaints here.

Guessing that is the last trade before the deadline but wouldn't be shocked to see Gonzo go.

Agreed about Gonzalez. I think he's the last one that could happen.

There could be a couple waiver deals too.

Looking forward to seeing Lopez and Giolito soon.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Don't know much about the return, but it sucks that I can't root for Melky anymore.

As someone pointed out earlier here, this actually increases the chance that Sox will offer Melky a one year deal next off season.

fathom

post Jul 5, 2017 -> 07:36 PM

Post #32

Mr. Pessimism

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,578

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:47 AM) *

I'm hoping for a top 10 prospect in the system of whoever they trade with for the Melkman. Of course I like him because the Sox have had so few LH productive bats and his strong and accurate arm.

Very likely it won't be anyone near top 10

#5 before season , #13 at time of trade plus another player w/ the Sox paying money. I'll take this as near a top ten in a system.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 07:55 PM)
Bye bye steroid guy. No tears here.

He was horrid until this season but of course everybody credits him for this season and praises him for bringing back minimal return.

However I am on record as saying the Melkman won me over!! I do applaud him forever for taking that ball off the chin HARD, staying in the box and getting a hit. In a season where his team is this pathetic, it told me a lot that rich Melky was willing to stay in the game after getting his jaw rattled like that.

MELKY is da man. Before this year I despised him however.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 08:34 PM)
fathom

post Jul 5, 2017 -> 07:36 PM

Post #32

Mr. Pessimism

Group: Members

Member No.: 1,578

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Jul 6, 2017 -> 01:47 AM) *

I'm hoping for a top 10 prospect in the system of whoever they trade with for the Melkman. Of course I like him because the Sox have had so few LH productive bats and his strong and accurate arm.

Very likely it won't be anyone near top 10

#5 before season , #13 at time of trade plus another player w/ the Sox paying money. I'll take this as near a top ten in a system.

Not top 10 at midseason...I win :)

I have been a Sox fan since the 1970s and I can't remember a year where the team was so bad, yet I was still so excited. Of course the bloom will be off this rose in a couple years if the kids don't turn this thing around, but holy moly Hahn has stocked up the system...now...WE WAIT!!!

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
As someone pointed out earlier here, this actually increases the chance that Sox will offer Melky a one year deal next off season.

Doubt the Sox bring many vets in next year. Plenty of younger controllable guys to give the ABs to. Don't see the point in bringing back a guy like Melky.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 02:17 PM)
You need vets like Melky during rebuilds. Bad trade imo

Even if that were true (it's not), we don't need Melky and Abreu

And veteran locker room guys are cheap.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
This is a serious question. With all the multiple prospects acquired in trades, and the draft picks, especially if in the next 2 years they draft a guy who can play relatively quickly, are the White Sox looking at a 40 man roster crunch in a couple of years?

I think it is safe to say the clock will be ticking on some guys starting next year. Saladino, Engel, those level of guys - if they come out weak next year and someone starts pushing them...they're the first casualties.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
Which is the perfect reason why I don't want to hear from anyone "These ABs are meaningless to these guys, they don't care....ect."

Aside from Abreu, basically everyone is trying out for their job right now.

The effort is always going to be there, but truth of the matter is, if we get 5 guys from the current 25 man not named Rodon and Moncada to be on the next 85+ win White Sox team, that is going to be an accomplishment.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
This is a serious question. With all the multiple prospects acquired in trades, and the draft picks, especially if in the next 2 years they draft a guy who can play relatively quickly, are the White Sox looking at a 40 man roster crunch in a couple of years?

Right now there are plenty of guys auditioning for roster spots and everything will have to be earned moving forward. I wouldn't worry about a roster crunch right now.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 30, 2017 -> 06:13 PM)
You are absolutely correct, but there have been posts from multiple members trying to make the case that it's harder to perform when the team is losing, it really doesn't matter because of all the losses, ect.

Clearly, that is wrong.

Absolutely.