2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 10:16 PM)
It's preseason.its the first game.I don't care I'm hyped about Trubisky after watching that.

I always says the preseason means nothing, but that felt like the funnest home game in 2-3 years once he came in.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)
It's preseason.its the first game.I don't care I'm hyped about Trubisky after watching that.

This. Preseason, 2nd string defense, etc. I get it. But we have so little to look forward to as Bears fans, I'm allowing myself to be excited after that performance. And it wasn't the stats - it was the way he did it. Looked totally comfortable out there. And his athleticism was readily apparent, as well as his arm strength and accuracy. There were a couple bad drops by the WRs too. I loved that they brought him in for the 2 minutes drill for his first drive. Nice pressure situation to be thrown into... but alas, yes, it's just preseason. But it's better than him looking over-matched.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 10:31 PM)
I always says the preseason means nothing, but that felt like the funnest home game in 2-3 years once he came in.

this. I'm absolutely giddy with this kids performance. Poise...accuracy...composure...he looked like a 3 year vet out there. I just sat there with each play going "are you effing kidding me?!?... throw after throw. I don't care if he is a rookie....like Mullin mentioned recently...the kid's got that "it" factor when on the field.

I think we go ourselves a QB boys....

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 06:18 AM)
Bear fans are not going accept Glennon sucking long.

absolutely the worst case scenario for glennon. Guy already feeling the heat, comes out and throws pick 6 on opening series, and the young rookie tears it up. As bears fans we all have to hope Glennon does better. can never have too many QBs - might be able to deal him at seasons end, even if its for a 4th rounder

The numbers weren't even the exciting part about trubisky last night. It was how he looked. He was accurate, had zip on the ball when he needed to, made a handful NFL type throws (anticipating the receiver out of the break between the safeties, laser to the sideline where only Thompson could grab it while on the run), was mobile both out of the pocket (which was expected) but also within the pocket (less expected). Yes its the second half of preseason game 1, but the guy looked the part

Edited by daa84

I actually thought Trubs looked a little rattled at first (TD drive) and then settled in and looked really good.

We heard a lot of handwringing about the 3rd string oline in front of him, but he looked really good moving around pocket and then fast as hell on scrambles.

I'm not gonna read too much into it, BUT if we get the same showings from Glennon and Trubisky next week, then week 3 will be veeeeeeery interesting.

Glennon looked pretty meh. Meredith dropped a first down before the pick 6, but he put that interception up in a bad place, and missed a wide open Wright underneath the route. I also felt like Glennon was locking on receivers as soon as he got the ball

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:39 AM)
I'm not gonna read too much into it, BUT if we get the same showings from Glennon and Trubisky next week, then week 3 will be veeeeeeery interesting.

Glennon looked pretty meh. Meredith dropped a first down before the pick 6, but he put that interception up in a bad place, and missed a wide open Wright underneath the route. I also felt like Glennon was locking on receivers as soon as he got the ball

If the Bears lose a couple of games and start the season 0-2 with a bad looking Glennon, they have to go to Trubisky, right?

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)
If the Bears lose a couple of games and start the season 0-2 with a bad looking Glennon, they have to go to Trubisky, right?

Not if they want to rebuild and get a higher pick and keep your franchise QB healthy for next year.

I mean Bears fans will be miserable either way.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 09:33 AM)

The record doesnt matter. If Glennon looks terrible and Mitch looks good again, and then in the third game if they give Trubisky reps with second or even first string, then we might see Trubisky actually get a chance to unseat Glennon. It's all on Glennon

Like, it's only a preseason game, sure sure.

But trubisky was so trashed as a pick, from getting booed at bulls game, to becoming this running joke on NFL talking head twitter, that I'm going to enjoy this. Bears fans never even got the honeymoon phase of imagining a top QB draft pick would succeed.

So, basically we get a week of honeymoon phase. ANd though it's true in either case, I'd much rather this then the rationalizing that it's preseason after a terrible performance.

I also have to say, I read Biggs column today, and Glennons comments annoy me. All he has to say is he thinks Mitch did a good job, that he is excited to look at the tape and improve,a nd that he thinks competition makes him better and wants to do what helps the team win.

Instead he is totally bought into the moping about how he may not be handed a QB job on a silver platter. You are getting paid like a starter, guy, stop whining if you don't earn it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 07:38 AM)
Not if they want to rebuild and get a higher pick and keep your franchise QB healthy for next year.

I mean Bears fans will be miserable either way.

Bears starting o-line, if healthy, is pretty good. The Bears also have good running backs and an okay defense. If Trubisky plays like he did last week and continues to elevate and make quick progress...he could burst onto the scene (great problem to have). I still throw everything out cause it is essentially one half of a preseason game, but the raw tools stood out. I really didn't appreciate his athleticism until last night and I liked the fact that he typically kept his eyes down the field. But to read pro defenses and adjust to a pro offense is going to take a lot of time. Loved how much time he got in the game and the fact that our oline kept him upright. Week 2 will be a great test as defenses will do a bit of scheming, etc.

And for Glennon...it was a couple lousy drives, he shouldn't take it too hard. Use it as motivation for this weeks practice. Trubisky could have had a few more receptions because his receivers / TE's had a few drops. Cohen played well.