2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't know. Domestic violence is terrible. But it seems to me the NFL is more trying to react to how public will react in each scenario than trying to actually deal with problem. Josh Brown, not a big star, 1 game. Zeke, big star, 6 games. Doesn't capture public imagination? Light suspension. Does? Heavy.

See? We are the NFL and show that we understand this issue, have you heard about october where we wear pink?

If they actually cared about how the status and money of the NFL can push DV victims into the margins, their responses would look a lot differently. But they don't care, they just don't want to be bothered.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
Where there's smoke, there's fire with Zeke. The NFL is definitely weird with this stuff but I'm not going to cry about Zeke getting suspended.

I think the point here is how hypocritical the NFL is. Guy wasnt charged with anything, how does that warrant 6 games? And if he was and convicted, it should be more than a 6 games suspension. Instead a guy who was convicted of domestic violence got 4 games. Animal cruelty gets you 2 games. Drugs get you 4.

With the appeal I bet it lands on 2 games, which makes the process even more of a joke.

Man, he has to give up 8 million bucks too, but not being convicted or charged with anything.

Edited by RockRaines

Sammy Watkins traded to Rams, Bills then acquire Jordan Matthews from the Eagles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...rom-eagles/amp/

Three years after using two first-round draft picks and a fourth-round draft pick to acquire him, the Bills are moving on from Sammy Watkins.

Watkins, the talented but so far disappointing wide receiver, has been traded to the Rams. To replace him, the Bills have acquired receiver Jordan Matthews from the Eagles.

The Bills announced that they’ve shipped Watkins and a sixth-round draft pick to the Rams for cornerback E.J. Gaines and a second-round draft pick. Separately, the Bills announced that they sent cornerback Ronald Darby to the Eagles for Matthews and a third-round draft pick.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
I think the point here is how hypocritical the NFL is. Guy wasnt charged with anything, how does that warrant 6 games? And if he was and convicted, it should be more than a 6 games suspension. Instead a guy who was convicted of domestic violence got 4 games. Animal cruelty gets you 2 games. Drugs get you 4.

With the appeal I bet it lands on 2 games, which makes the process even more of a joke.

Man, he has to give up 8 million bucks too, but not being convicted or charged with anything.

The NFL sucks, no one is going to argue that. Zeke also sucks so I'm not going to shed a tear for him.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Here is the full disciplinary report the league issued to Elliott regarding the suspension.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/publi...00000828569.pdf

Taking a look at the personal conduct penalties given out, I would be surprised if this wasnt reduced to 2 games. Dog and Pony show. if they think he's really guilt of domestic violence, 6 games isnt nearly enough.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
Taking a look at the personal conduct penalties given out, I would be surprised if this wasnt reduced to 2 games. Dog and Pony show. if they think he's really guilt of domestic violence, 6 games isnt nearly enough.

It will absolutely be appealed down to 2-3 games

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 12:21 PM)
Here is the full disciplinary report the league issued to Elliott regarding the suspension.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/publi...00000828569.pdf

404 file not found.

Anyway, according to press, the league has "Photographic and digital" evidence in this case. They also state that he presented no evidence on his side. If that's the case, then the appeal could be considerably weaker than you folks are thinking.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 11:58 AM)
Sammy Watkins traded to Rams, Bills then acquire Jordan Matthews from the Eagles.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/...rom-eagles/amp/

I never really thought about this in April when the Bears did their move, but now you've got the Jets, Bills, Browns, and probably a couple other teams (Denver?) who will obviously be chasing QBs this year. The teams trying to get to the top of this draft are going to be crowding each other out. Maybe cashing in on that position in 2017 was not the worst move ever (although still hesitate on saying that trading up made any sense).

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
404 file not found.

Anyway, according to press, the league has "Photographic and digital" evidence in this case. They also state that he presented no evidence on his side. If that's the case, then the appeal could be considerably weaker than you folks are thinking.

If they had evidence that he committed domestic violence then they are fools for only suspending him 6 games.

There is plenty of stuff to find from the original police records.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
404 file not found.

Weird, maybe the NFL took it down from their site. Here is the ESPN link, it's pretty detailed.

http://www.espn.com/pdf/2017/0811/Ezekiel-...r_8-11-17_R.pdf

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
Weird, maybe the NFL took it down from their site. Here is the ESPN link, it's pretty detailed.

http://www.espn.com/pdf/2017/0811/Ezekiel-...r_8-11-17_R.pdf

His lawyers already responded citing the evidence of the victim lying as well as her friends confessing she told them to lie. Gonna be an interesting appeal.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 03:00 PM)
His lawyers already responded citing the evidence of the victim lying as well as her friends confessing she told them to lie. Gonna be an interesting appeal.

Will go from 6 to 5 games.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
I think Bills did well today.

They my Chiefs first next season as well as Rams 2, and Eagles 3. They have 2 1s, 2 2s, 2 3s. They're all set to get a QB next draft and add some weapons. Watkins is good but always injured. They were going to lose him anyways to FA.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 12, 2017 -> 09:06 AM)
Is there even a precedence of NFL suspensions being reduced via appeal? I know it's standard in baseball, but don't remember it happening in football.

Yes many times