2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 12:28 PM)
Not disagreeing, but how would the scenario you're suggesting affect the owner's profit margin?

I was thinking more in a blanket statement, given that risking player safety on the quality of play with 3-day practice weeks doesn't really bother them, as long as the ratings are there.

But now that I thought it through, the only way it would work is if 2 teams had a bye in week 1, and as late as week 15. I'm not sure the players would be willing to accept that. The other way to do it would be an 18-week schedule with 2 bye weeks per team. However, I doubt the players accept that without the removal of at least one preseason game. And the owners will NOT give up the revenue from a preseason game. Hence, the profit margin, it all comes full circle.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Well aware. Curious to the comment about the owners profits. I think teams should have their byes preceding TNF weeks 4-14 or however it works out.

If you are going to have any less than the 15 games, the profits will be cut because the number of broadcasts would be cut. If you went to a bye week for a Thursday night between week 4 and 14, there would be teams crying about fairness. It really is an impossibility to make everyone happy. IMO, just bag the game even if it costs each team $14 million a year. Thursday is a ridiculous night to play but they don't want to step on HS football toes on Friday or college football on Saturday, so they risk the health of hundreds of players for an extra pay day.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Well aware. Curious to the comment about the owners profits. I think teams should have their byes preceding TNF weeks 4-11 or however it works out.

fewer games to sell TV broadcast rights to if every TNF game is preceded by a team's bye week because there are fewer bye weeks than there are currently TNF games

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:06 PM)
With the injury problem going on, the league absolutely needs to extend the season a week (while not adding any additional games played), it adds an additional week of regular season TV games. It creates the ability to provide 2 bye weeks for players, allowing for player safety and you could largely argue it also creates an increase in overall revenues that would enable the league to reduce the preseason by 1-2 games (since regular season TV revenues should easily outweigh preseason revenues).

Extra rest should enhance the overall quality of play. Just too many injuries going on now, which dilutes the quality of game and in reality can widely impact whether your best teams are in the playoffs or not. Just seems like a no-brainer, albeit, there are so many contenious points between players/owners that it will take a while to happen.

The injuries they are seeing aren't from a lack of rest. Most of the ones now are from a lack of practice time. The players just don't know how to take a hit with the least amount of impact. These aren't soft tissue type injuries. They are most getting impact or non=contact trying to avoid other players type injuries. IMHO

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
I was thinking more in a blanket statement, given that risking player safety on the quality of play with 3-day practice weeks doesn't really bother them, as long as the ratings are there.

But now that I thought it through, the only way it would work is if 2 teams had a bye in week 1, and as late as week 15. I'm not sure the players would be willing to accept that. The other way to do it would be an 18-week schedule with 2 bye weeks per team. However, I doubt the players accept that without the removal of at least one preseason game. And the owners will NOT give up the revenue from a preseason game. Hence, the profit margin, it all comes full circle.

Extra week of regular season games should easily off-site lost revenues from any reduction in preseason games, imo (TV money for extra regular season far outweighs money related to preseason, imo).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
The injuries they are seeing aren't from a lack of rest. Most of the ones now are from a lack of practice time. The players just don't know how to take a hit with the least amount of impact. These aren't soft tissue type injuries. They are most getting impact or non=contact trying to avoid other players type injuries. IMHO

That is a big issue. Hampton and OB were b****ing about the Bears and how they had to hit hard in practice, etc. You can't anymore.

But, the other problem with Thursday games is the teams have 1 full practice to prepare, and how many players, especially later in the season get held out of practice anyways? It's a money grab that needs to go away.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:34 PM)
That is a big issue. Hampton and OB were b****ing about the Bears and how they had to hit hard in practice, etc. You can't anymore.

But, the other problem with Thursday games is the teams have 1 full practice to prepare, and how many players, especially later in the season get held out of practice anyways? It's a money grab that needs to go away.

Absolutely. Also there is a fatigue factor when there only 3 days off between games, if they go Sunday-Thursday. Throughout the rest of the season, I still think it's the lack of muscle memory on how to avoid big hits.

It is just a money grab, but personally I like seeing games more often and not having to wait until Sunday to see the next game. The quality is usually less but it's still football.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
The solution to the Thursday Night Football issue is to add another week to the season and give each team two bye weeks. Therefore, the NFL could set it up so each team has a bye before their TNF game. This would also get rid of the Super Bowl bye week, which everyone hates.

No chance they give up a week of endless hype & marketing

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Sep 28, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
Most of my coworkers went from laughing about playing the Bears to legitimately concerned (due to last week's win and now their injuries). Hopefully it's a good game.

I think the Packers are down this year and the Bears are maybe a little better than I thought, but i'm far too guarded to get excited about the game. I'm expecting a Packers win of 14+