2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
I would love to know who reviewed Glennon's tape and thought he was the diamond in the rough to lead the Bears above the Cutler era. I mean this guy is awful and the Bears could have had Hoyer for a fraction of Glennons price..anyway I hope Trubisky washes away any nightmares of Glennon's checkdowns soon enough.

Or hell, should have just given Fales the year if they really wanted to sit Trubisky for a year.

Here's the thing though...you can't just throw in any old pos in at QB to allow Trubisky time to develop because then you throw everything else so out of whack as well.

In order to properly develop some of your other young players, you cannot be so absolutely horrendous offensively that everyone just plays the run against you. Then you are harming the development of your entire offense. You might also harm the development of your defense because they are on the field constantly.

I don't like Glennon at all, but IF you determine you want to give Mitch some time to develop, it does make sense to at least put someone reasonably decent in so that the rest of the team can property develop while your QB of the future learns on the sideline.

This isn't baseball or basketball where stinking doesn't necessarily hurt the development of your young players.

I think the entire team knows Glennon sucks...and if you saw Hicks comments about change and hope they make a change and put the team in the best position to win...that kind of says it all right there IMO. It has to be frustrating for both the D and offense. At least put the kid out there and see what you have. It's ridiculous you couldn't even let him get his feet wet last night just for a quarter...even half a quarter. I mean honestly...think of your own job...if your job success was dependent on somebody else that absolutely sucked...wouldn't that start to piss you off? Bears have toed the company line so far...but I think that's coming to an end. Developing is one thing...he's already shown he's got the talent...he just needs some OJT. He'll be fine. He'll make mistakes...sure...but nothing compared to the stiff that Glennon is. Good lord is he bad.

Also have heard rumblings that it's already been decided that Mitchy is starting next Monday...some dude named Ben Albright has thrown it out there that he's getting all kinds of texts with that info.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 11:30 AM)
They have one more thing in common, getting majorly overhyped simply because they are white UDFA wide receivers.

The entire league could have claimed Gentry off waivers recently and chose not to. Are we to believe that Ryan Pace is just that much smarter than everyone else? Well Pace thinks he is, but that's a different topic.

I hope Gentry proves me wrong, but let's take a step back here.

what they don't have in common is Sanzenbacher was actually given a chance to show what he can do...Gentry has not...which I find ridiculous given the steaming heap this WR corp is. Hopefully when Trubisky takes over that'll change. I just think they have a little more chemistry than he does with the other WRs since they spent a ton of time together. Look...I'm not annointing him the next Jerry Rice...but the kid's got some skills...and stubborn ass Fox refuses to acknowledge.

The problem is the receivers will be the same. If they throw Mitch in there, he may do worse than Glennon. I feel sorry for him. Expectations are that he is a HOFer, and he has A York high school like receiving corp. Glendon has sucked. No one except maybe Jim Miller will tell you otherwise. But the Bears QB is set up to fail, just like Fox is. Fox has to win to save his job. They gave him a roster with little talent, and used their best asset on a guy they didn't want him to play. Belicheck could be named the coach tomorrow and they would still suck really bad.

You will know the Bears are serious about actually winning when guys like Kevin White aren't counted on to remain healthy for more than 5 minutes.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 05:39 PM)
The problem is the receivers will be the same. If they throw Mitch in there, he may do worse than Glennon. I feel sorry for him. Expectations are that he is a HOFer, and he has A York high school like receiving corp. Glendon has sucked. No one except maybe Jim Miller will tell you otherwise. But the Bears QB is set up to fail, just like Fox is. Fox has to win to save his job. They gave him a roster with little talent, and used their best asset on a guy they didn't want him to play. Belicheck could be named the coach tomorrow and they would still suck really bad.

You will know the Bears are serious about actually winning when guys like Kevin White aren't counted on to remain healthy for more than 5 minutes.

I think the top Chicago HS teams run a better set of WR's out there than the Bears have right now.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 04:39 PM)

lol...I'll throw a C note down right now that Trubisky doesn't look a fraction of the incompetent boob Glennon looks like right now. The thing you're missing is when you have a QB that's rolling out of the pocket...and can actually run it shifts the defense...they have to accommodate for his mobility and it'll leave receivers open more. It changes the offense completely. Fans just want to see progress with the young guys and the team...with Glennon they took 3 steps back. Nobody is...I guess I'm not anyway...anointing Trubisky as a HOFer. BUT...what we will see is a capable QB back there that'll make plays with his arm and legs. Sure he'll make rookie mistakes...and most Bear fans can live with that. But I suspect you'll see a kid that actually has his s*** together back there and doesn't look like a deer in the headlights. I think this team will have some confidence in him as well....

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 06:03 PM)
lol...I'll throw a C note down right now that Trubisky doesn't look a fraction of the incompetent boob Glennon looks like right now. The thing you're missing is when you have a QB that's rolling out of the pocket...and can actually run it shifts the defense...they have to accommodate for his mobility and it'll leave receivers open more. It changes the offense completely. Fans just want to see progress with the young guys and the team...with Glennon they took 3 steps back. Nobody is...I guess I'm not anyway...anointing Trubisky as a HOFer. BUT...what we will see is a capable QB back there that'll make plays with his arm and legs. Sure he'll make rookie mistakes...and most Bear fans can live with that. But I suspect you'll see a kid that actually has his s*** together back there and doesn't look like a deer in the headlights. I think this team will have some confidence in him as well....

Cutler had this mobility and actually played well when they took advantage of it.

They never seemed to stick with it.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 07:03 PM)

Glennon's play should absolutely no impact on the decision to play Trubiskey. Who cares what the rest of the team thinks right now. The decision should be purely based on what is best for trubiskey in the long term. If he is having difficulty with decision making in practice or the film room, you don't play him. These type of issues will get him, the receivers and the o-line injured. If find it hard to believe that Fox wouldn't play him if he thought Trubiskey gave him the best chance to win. Fox's job is on the line and he knows it. The only other factor would be if Pace told Fox not to play him and then the point is moot.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
Glennon's play should absolutely no impact on the decision to play Trubiskey. Who cares what the rest of the team thinks right now. The decision should be purely based on what is best for trubiskey in the long term. If he is having difficulty with decision making in practice or the film room, you don't play him. These type of issues will get him, the receivers and the o-line injured. If find it hard to believe that Fox wouldn't play him if he thought Trubiskey gave him the best chance to win. Fox's job is on the line and he knows it. The only other factor would be if Pace told Fox not to play him and then the point is moot.

lol...ok. We'll see next Monday won't we. Who cares what the rest of the team thinks?????....seriously?....mkay. They decision is what's best for the team. He sure as hell didn't look like he had trouble with decision making in preseason did he? And please with the getting people injured bs...geezus. Again...we'll see next monday...he'll start.

A guy I work with has season tickets for the Bears, and in the preseason he unloaded all of his preseason and 5 regular season home games to a guy who turned out to be one of Mitch’s associates. He told my coworker that Mitch will be starting game 5. Not “we hope he will” or “we think he will”, but he IS starting game 5. and here we are

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)

The starting OL is completely healthy.

Furthermore, I'm done with the "Trubisky isn't ready yet." You know what, evidently Glennon isn't either. He is not ready to start for any professional football team.

We should expect Trubisky to struggle and make mistakes BECAUSE HE IS A ROOKIE. Glennon is making rookie mistakes as a veteran in an offense requires him to do next to nothing. He is pathetic.

I get a chuckle from people that call baseball boring anymore...good lord...IMO football has FAR SURPASSED it in boring moments. Every time you flip on a channel there's either a commercial or some idiotic review for the 10th time in a half....or the halftime or pregame blabberers. When you go to a game you spend most of your time with your thumb up your arse waiting for tv timeouts...or again...some review. They spend more downtime. It's part of the reason football is losing me...among other reasons. Another being...hey dipsh**...when you make a play just go back to the huddle and quit acting like a WWE idiot. And don't even get me going on the flags every other play... Not a shocker people are turning it off. Sure you watch your team...but I'm not going to sit there watching as a "football fan" anymore....I just won't do it. It's hard enough just watching your team.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)

Furthermore, I'm done with the "Trubisky isn't ready yet." You know what, evidently Glennon isn't either. He is not ready to start for any professional football team.

We should expect Trubisky to struggle and make mistakes BECAUSE HE IS A ROOKIE. Glennon is making rookie mistakes as a veteran in an offense requires him to do next to nothing. He is pathetic.

evidently Watson is ready. 5 td passes today. Yeah...the whole "Trubisky isn't ready" argument is idiotic.

After Walter Payton...Larry Fitzgerald is by far my all-time favorite player. Only other team jersey I own is a #11 Cardinal jersey. Besides being a complete class act on and off the field...he still produces on the field at a ridiculously high rate. Clutch game winner today Larry!!!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Sep 29, 2017 -> 10:20 PM)
lol...ok. We'll see next Monday won't we. Who cares what the rest of the team thinks?????....seriously?....mkay. They decision is what's best for the team. He sure as hell didn't look like he had trouble with decision making in preseason did he? And please with the getting people injured bs...geezus. Again...we'll see next monday...he'll start.

Yes. Seriously, every player there knows what Trubiskey looks like in practice. They also know that starting him with anything less than full preparation is foolish. He didn't have problems with decision making in the preseason because A. the teams did not run true defenses, B. they didn't game plan for him and C. Half the time he did roll outs to trim his decision making to half the field. none of that will cut it in the regular season.

He may start next game, that would be my choice but the coaching staff knows if he is ready or not. Do you truly think Fox is purposely playing the worse QB? His job is on the line. The only thing that would change this would be if PACE is ordering it.

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)

so you are going to sacrifice the future of Trubiskey because glennon is incompetent? That's your philosophy. I would choose not to.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 02:28 PM)
evidently Watson is ready. 5 td passes today. Yeah...the whole "Trubisky isn't ready" argument is idiotic.

Watson threw 1200 passes in college. Trubiskey less than 600. So I'm going to say that watson has twice as much experience reading defenses as Trubiskey therefore has a better chance of being ready earlier for the NFL.

Not all college QBs are ready at the same rate.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 06:57 PM)
Yes. Seriously, every player there knows what Trubiskey looks like in practice. They also know that starting him with anything less than full preparation is foolish. He didn't have problems with decision making in the preseason because A. the teams did not run true defenses, B. they didn't game plan for him and C. Half the time he did roll outs to trim his decision making to half the field. none of that will cut it in the regular season.

He may start next game, that would be my choice but the coaching staff knows if he is ready or not. Do you truly think Fox is purposely playing the worse QB? His job is on the line. The only thing that would change this would be if PACE is ordering it.

Wait...you're saying it's your choice he's start next game...then throw out all this bulls*** arguing it?!??!? hahaha....just stop...honestly. First off...Fox is a effin idiot...he's stubborn...and has always been this way with rookies. It's not really how today's NFL works. Your assertion the team "know's starting him is foolish" has zero basis...it's pure conjecture on your part. You don't know....regardless of how knowledgeable you think you are with all this...it's your opinion. I know people put you on this pedestal here with your medical knowledge and all...cool...good for you. Stick to that...because honestly I'm doubting your football knowledge right now with these comments. They're your opinions...I get that. But don't spout them like it's etched in stone.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 09:19 PM)
Wait...you're saying it's your choice he's start next game...then throw out all this bulls*** arguing it?!??!? hahaha....just stop...honestly. First off...Fox is a effin idiot...he's stubborn...and has always been this way with rookies. It's not really how today's NFL works. Your assertion the team "know's starting him is foolish" has zero basis...it's pure conjecture on your part. You don't know....regardless of how knowledgeable you think you are with all this...it's your opinion. I know people put you on this pedestal here with your medical knowledge and all...cool...good for you. Stick to that...because honestly I'm doubting your football knowledge right now with these comments. They're your opinions...I get that. But don't spout them like it's etched in stone.

not sure why you think you need to attack me personally about this. It really hurts my feeling when you say you doubt my football knowledge.

Yes, it would be the best scenario to give a rookie the best preparation for a game. That doesn't mean that is what the coaches feel is best.

I do think your opinion is wrong and is based purely on not liking the way Glennon is playing. And my opinion is that this is the wrong way to approach this. Glennon has no bearing on the future of this franchise. Trubiskey does. I'm still not sure why anyone would want to risk that just for the chance of a few wins on a bad team.

Does phrasing it with the word opinion in it make it better? Of course they are my opinions. However, my opinions don't count as much as the coach's do, because of their intimate knowledge of the situation and experience, which you seem to think is less important than your knowledge and experience in this situation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 09:57 PM)
not sure why you think you need to attack me personally about this. It really hurts my feeling when you say you doubt my football knowledge.

Yes, it would be the best scenario to give a rookie the best preparation for a game. That doesn't mean that is what the coaches feel is best.

I do think your opinion is wrong and is based purely on not liking the way Glennon is playing. And my opinion is that this is the wrong way to approach this. Glennon has no bearing on the future of this franchise. Trubiskey does. I'm still not sure why anyone would want to risk that just for the chance of a few wins on a bad team.

Does phrasing it with the word opinion in it make it better? Of course they are my opinions. However, my opinions don't count as much as the coach's do, because of their intimate knowledge of the situation and experience, which you seem to think is less important than your knowledge and experience in this situation.

Oh stop...nobody is attacking you. You just threw out all this stuff about "not in his best interest"...and then claimed you'd like to see him start. Which is it? You also claim it makes no difference what his teammates think. Of course it does! Other teams have no problem doing this (starting rookies). Trubisky is ready...he's been ready. Fox is just a stubborn ass...but that's neither here nor there. It Glennon's teammates have zero confidence in him...you don't think that's an issue?

You claim my opinion is based on "not liking how Glennon is playing"....lol...ummmmm....I think 99% of Chicago feels the same way. It's based on the fact that Glennon absolutely stinks and they have to spoon feed him plays so he doesn't get killed back there and it completely limits what the offense can do. He's horrible! You put the best player out there. They've had how many months now to prepare Trubisky? And I don't care if you want to claim he was playing against 2nd or 3rd string D...he still made plays. Stop and think...he made plays play WITH 2nd and 3rd string O. He's ready. And yes...he'll still make rookie mistakes. But this team will be better with his rookie mistakes than Glennon's complete ineptness that handcuffs the entire team. I get your point of coddling him til "he's ready"...I just don't buy that form of preparedness....not with this scenario. Trubisky is head and shoulders more capable of running this offense that the Giraffe.....

QUOTE (ptatc @ Oct 1, 2017 -> 07:59 PM)
so you are going to sacrifice the future of Trubiskey because glennon is incompetent? That's your philosophy. I would choose not to.

There are 11 games left. If he is compleely terrible, we should worry since typically bad players have a tendency to not ever turn out to be good, although Goff is even disputing that. Goff, Wentz, Newton, Ryan, Wilson, Prescott, Luck, Winston, Mariota, Stafford. All of them started, experienced bumps in the road, and some still are experiencing issues, but no one is expecting a championship this year. We all EXPECT Trubisky to struggle some. That's life as a rookie QB, with a few exceptions.