2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 11:09 AM)
If he is the guy that did the play calling in the first half against the Titans, he might be good. If he is the guy that did the play calling in the 2nd half, he might be bad.

Supposedly, he was the one who called plays first half, but who knows. Don't base your judgement on him on one game though. FYI, Lovie Smith when he was the D coordinator for the Rams, allowed 452 yards in his last game before the Bears hired him.

Also Nagy has facial hair (stache). That's good juju for Chicago championship teams right there.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 11:37 AM)
Supposedly, he was the one who called plays first half, but who knows. Don't base your judgement on him on one game though. FYI, Lovie Smith when he was the D coordinator for the Rams, allowed 452 yards in his last game before the Bears hired him.

Also Nagy has facial hair (stache). That's good juju for Chicago championship teams right there.

It was just one game.

I still can't figure out why with a 21-3 lead at half time. He only gave his RB (who happens to be the rushing leader) four carries in the second half. First carry went for 9 yards. Yuck.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 11:27 AM)
Hopefully, it's up to Nagy first whether or not he even wants Vic on his staff.

of course, but the bears did not allow him to interview with the Bengals last week. So apparently they want him, and hopefully Nagy would want him. I dont see why Nagy wouldnt want him considering his track record, but who knows

Its being reported that Dave Ragone will remain the QB coach

Not crazy about Ragone.

One thing I likeda bout Defillipo over Nagy was Defillipo had been all over so would have met lots of different coaches. I know that coaches are a tight fraternity so he probably knows a bunch, but I don't know how I'd feel if Nagy comes in with 60% of our staff last year.

The Chiefs Kingdom (Ver 2.0) @1_ChiefsKingdom Bombshell! Nagy to Bears was a done deal before Chiefs playoff game. Reid took back play scheming and calling to allow Nagy time to prep for his interview. Nagy helped script first 15 plays with Reid, who then took over play calling.

Patrick Finley‏Verified account @patrickfinley 37m37 minutes ago #Bears DC Vic Fangio becomes a free agent tomorrow. While 3 offensive coaches have already left, no defensive assistants have. That could be telling. Still, Matt Nagy's first test as head coach is recruiting the guys he already has to stay.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 12:40 PM)
The Chiefs Kingdom (Ver 2.0) @1_ChiefsKingdom Bombshell! Nagy to Bears was a done deal before Chiefs playoff game. Reid took back play scheming and calling to allow Nagy time to prep for his interview. Nagy helped script first 15 plays with Reid, who then took over play calling.

Wow, glad to hear that's what happened. Because Nagy was probably #1 on my list before that second half meltdown.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 12:40 PM)

Wow. I'd be pissed as a Chiefs fan. They potentially blew the playoff game to help Nagy move on somewhere else.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 09:54 AM)
of course, but the bears did not allow him to interview with the Bengals last week. So apparently they want him, and hopefully Nagy would want him. I dont see why Nagy wouldnt want him considering his track record, but who knows

Its being reported that Dave Ragone will remain the QB coach

I like this. Have heard a lot of really really good things about Ragone.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 01:25 PM)
1) I don't believe that tweet for a second. I think it's completely made up.

2) This is a great read from a KC columnist on Nagy, with a much more believable story on the 2nd half:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-colum...e193551879.html

The bears did not hire Nagy before interviewing him on sunday, that's crazy.

Of course its made up.

I keep hoping to see Bears sign Fangio to long-term extension. I'd really get fired up if that happened. Very pleased with the move and what seemed like the strategic direction and path we took to execute. I was hoping we were going to be the team that moved swiftly once we found that guy and it seemed we did that (critical given how many openings are out there).

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
Bryant only has one year left on his deal and it's for 12.5 million. Not a crazy contract number, but the problem is that he really isn't that good anymore. You are not getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick from a team. Not for an aging player that hasn't had a thousand yard season in three years. Dallas has cap issues and if they want to bring Demarcus Lawrence back they may have to cut Bryant. So maybe you could talk a team into giving you a 6th round pick or something like that. Dallas also has to sign Zac Martin to a long term deal this year and he is going to be the highest paid guard in the NFL.

Browns have plenty of draft picks and cap space. They could just draft a young WR and then sign someone like Allen Robinson.

I thought Dez has 2 years left.

Crazy that Nagy is only the 2nd offensive coach the Bears have hired since the merger. Trestman was the other, so lets hope Nagy works out better than that, haha. I'm pretty darn excited about the future of the offensive ball. When we hired Trestman I wanted Andy Reid and now we get a Reid disciple. I think Reid's offense is really interesting and QB friendly and while Nagy has limited play-calling, he seems to have the respect of his units and was innovative in how they rolled out the offense. Especially like the use of the run-option as much as they did as that should play into Trubisky's strengths (and Howard is a fantastic runner out of the shotgun which is where you'd run a lot of run-option). The key of course is I don't want to get our QB unnecessarily killed.

The fact that Nagy kept in touch with Trubisky and believed in Trubisky obviously helped as Pace has hitched his wagon on Trubisky and thus would obviously want his HC to have the same stance. Any word on how long Nagy's contract will be? Can we keep Fangio already....haha. If we don't, we need to know quick so we can get a good assistant. It looks like Packers will be interviewing Pettine (who would be a good hire) and are clearly interested in interviewing Vic (and will definitely be reaching out to him once his contract expires). Bengals tried and were blocked (and are now hiring Lions DC, Terryl Austin, which is an excellent hire).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 8, 2018 -> 05:41 PM)
Crazy that Nagy is only the 2nd offensive coach the Bears have hired since the merger. Trestman was the other, so lets hope Nagy works out better than that, haha.

If your referring to the 60’s AFL merger I believe that Jack Pardee was an offensive coach. Even though he was technically a special teams coach I would think that you would have to consider Ditka more of an offensive coach as well.

That aside, I do like the hire too!

https://theathletic.com//206862/2018/01/09/...d/?redirected=1

Post-coach hire fawning praise :)

Excerpt

The most important aspect for a coach for me is simple: Is he dynamic? Not just as a coach, but as a person. As a schemer, Nagy was able to implement and coach his quarterbacks in one of the more unique offenses in the NFL. He’s coached everything from spread to the West Coast the last several years. Implementing an offense for Trubisky will not be an issue for Nagy because he has coached it all. I would expect the Bears to be a very enjoyable watch in 2018.

But Nagy is also just a really smart guy. That is important in a league full of coaches who are over their heads. For example, John Fox just wasn’t dynamic enough. Clearly, I’m just preaching to choir for Bears fans with that statement. That won’t be an issue with Nagy.

Not the best written article but the guy worked with him in 2010.

Fangio's contract is up today, still no update. I heard he had already been a top 5 paid DC, so I'm sure they will pony up, but the Packers are coming hard after him too. Hopefully Nagy can convince him. Given Nagy's inexperience as a coach, it would be good to have an established ready DC like Fangio to run the D.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 10:48 AM)
Can't say I read this and thought "Ryan Pace has his finger on the pulse on the cutting edge of NFL trends"

https://www.theringer.com/2018/1/9/16867564...eagles-patriots

I can't say I know their cap situation and how it works as compared to with the Eagles and Browns were detailed in teh story but it seems like the Wheaton and Glennon contracts could impact what would have been able to be rolled over inot this offseason.

I was unaware of the rollover options. Makes the bad middle of the road FA signings worse. Although keeping guys on teh field would help.

Isn't Ted Phillips the cap guru?