2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 05:06 PM)
This is why Tom Brady is the GOAT.

He's not. He's an average QB who has been the beneficiary of having the best coach in NFL history. He had zero to do with any of his wins. They won 3 SBs because of his kicker and 2 because the opposing coaching staff pissed themselves. He deserves zero rings, and I give 100% of the credit of the Pats to Belichick, and zero to Brady. Right place at right time. The year that they won 11 games with Matt f***ing Cassell at QB proved this to me. Would people say he was the GOAT if he was 3-4 in Super Bowls instead of 5-2? No. I rest my case. He SHOULD BE 3-4 in Super Bowls. That is a losing record mind you. To me, even though this thought is a a consensus, it is an insult to my football intelligence to say otherwise. Brady and Favre are the most overrated QBs in NFL history and it isn't even close.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 05:36 PM)
He's not. He's an average QB who has been the beneficiary of having the best coach in NFL history. He had zero to do with any of his wins. They won 3 SBs because of his kicker and 2 because the opposing coaching staff pissed themselves. He deserves zero rings, and I give 100% of the credit of the Pats to Belichick, and zero to Brady. Right place at right time. The year that they won 11 games with Matt f***ing Cassell at QB proved this to me. Would people say he was the GOAT if he was 3-4 in Super Bowls instead of 5-2? No. I rest my case. He SHOULD BE 3-4 in Super Bowls. That is a losing record mind you. To me, even though this thought is a a consensus, it is an insult to my football intelligence to say otherwise. Brady and Favre are the most overrated QBs in NFL history and it isn't even close.

this. Not to mention...again....one...ONE penalty called on NE today. lol... My son and I sat there and counted at least 4 holding calls that they refused to call on NE. Jags crapped down their pants tho...plain and simple. Very Fox-like handing off on every first down and watching the RB run right up the guards ass....EVERY 1st down. And their lack of blitzing was mind boggling.

I'm not saying he's not good...but GOAT?!? not IMO...and everybody got one of those.

I already know I won't be watching another NFL/NE/Goodell Super Bowl butt-kissing fest in two weeks. Just won't do it. I'll be out paddling the yak fishing somewhere....

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 05:06 PM)
This is why Tom Brady is the GOAT.

Yeah, what he and Belichik have done is pretty amazing, especially in this era. There seems to be so much parity in the NFC , but the Patriots control the AFC. I do think they belong linked together, cause the rest of the roster keeps turning over and performing too.

The Jaguars did get too conservative, either they trusted their defense too much or didn't trust Blake Bortles.

Well, Garoppolo's success is another argument, and Jacoby Brissett being serviceable to a lesser extent.

Everyone watching just had a feeling that NE was going to come back, despite the Jags' stout defensive numbers. Even without Gronkowski, it wasn't even all that dramatic.

I think part of the problem is nobody 100% believes in Blake Bortles...if you had Aaron Rodgers leading the Jags in the 4th quarter, then you'd really have some drama on your hands, or Cam Newton.

In the end, the Patriots had one of the easiest paths to a SB in recent NFL history.

One way or the other, the NFL is breathing a huge sigh of relief with the playoff tv ratings being down in the 14-16% range, Jacksonville would have been a disaster, except for British football fans who have developed a loyalty to that team.

Philly or Minny both provide compelling storylines, so that's another plus for the NFL.

The tickets brokers are now going to take just a small bath...but all the Philly fans will somewhat offset that.

Of course, it would have greatly motivated Eagles' and Pats' fans to be able to leave in early February for an actual warm weather site. That will come back to haunt the NFL...what can you do besides go to the Mall of America and look at the frozen source of the Mississippi River?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:09 PM)
The tickets brokers are now going to take just a small bath...but all the Philly fans will somewhat offset that.

Of course, it would have greatly motivated Eagles' and Pats' fans to be able to leave in early February for an actual warm weather site. That will come back to haunt the NFL...what can you do besides go to the Mall of America and look at the frozen source of the Mississippi River?

Dude. Do you really think Eagles fans would pass on the Super Bowl because it's in a cold weather town? The game is in indoors. It's the Super Bowl, not the Capital One Bowl

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 09:21 PM)
Dude. Do you really think Eagles fans would pass on the Super Bowl because it's in a cold weather town? The game is in indoors. It's the Super Bowl, not the Capital One Bowl

Guess I'm seriously underestimating the rabid nature of Eagles fans...

The face value of tickets for Super Bowl LII in Minneapolis on Feb. 4 will set back fans anywhere from $950 in the nosebleed section to $5,000 for club seats. And that’s before any transaction fees or secondary-market bump-ups, which Yahoo Sports’ Charles Robinson predicts could yield ticket costs as high as six times their printed price — or more.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/super-...a-20180121.html

Early line has the Patriots as 6 point favorites, over/under of 48 points.

Edited by caulfield12

Brady is 27-9 in the playoffs, with a better than 2:1 TD:INT ratio, has a 91 QB Rating, and has made it to a Super Bowl every other year on average.

In the regular season he's 196-55 with a better than 3:1 TD:INT ratio, and almost a 100 QB Rating.

Brady sucks, Trubisky will suck. Parkman hates everyone.

Who *is* good..?

QUOTE (soxfan49 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 07:58 AM)
Brady is 27-9 in the playoffs, with a better than 2:1 TD:INT ratio, has a 91 QB Rating, and has made it to a Super Bowl every other year on average.

In the regular season he's 196-55 with a better than 3:1 TD:INT ratio, and almost a 100 QB Rating.

Brady sucks, Trubisky will suck. Parkman hates everyone.

Who *is* good..?

Brady definitely doesn’t have “it” 🙄

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 08:16 AM)
2 of the most annoying fanbases in sports are in the SB. Interest in this year's SB will be very very low for me.

However, the videos of Eagles fans destroying Philly win or lose will be worth it IMO.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 06:41 PM)
Brady's incredible but Patriots in another sb is boring

I tend to think the same thing, but you have to admit the Patriots Super Bowls have been pretty good.

Couple games with winning field goals at the end.

Even the losses had some crazy moments with Eli making insane plays.

Crazy INT at the goal line.

Overtime game.

I'd say the one game they played that was really boring was the last time they played the Eagles. Even that game came down to the end.

The Patriots vs Panthers is still one of my favorite Super Bowls.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
I tend to think the same thing, but you have to admit the Patriots Super Bowls have been pretty good.

Couple games with winning field goals at the end.

Even the losses had some crazy moments with Eli making insane plays.

Crazy INT at the goal line.

Overtime game.

I'd say the one game they played that was really boring was the last time they played the Eagles. Even that game came down to the end.

The Patriots vs Panthers is still one of my favorite Super Bowls.

It is pretty crazy, of their 7 Super Bowl appearances under Brady, last year was the biggest final victory margin, and that was 6 points in Overtime.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 08:46 AM)
It is pretty crazy, of their 7 Super Bowl appearances under Brady, last year was the biggest final victory margin, and that was 6 points in Overtime.

It's pretty crazy. You think one of those Super Bowls they would of just killed the other team. Like the 49ers win over the Broncos in Super Bowl XXIV.

I think part of it is that Belichick/Brady really drive some of those teams to victory. Teams that really aren't that impressive. Look at the Patriots this year, if you took that same team and put another good QB and another good coach, but not Belichick/Brady with that team. They are probably a decent team, but not a Super Bowl type team.

I think it's also a league thing. You just don't see the crazy blow outs in the Super Bowl as often. Still happens, but it's pretty rare.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 05:36 PM)

The "average QB" stuff is nonsense, but I totally agree that Brady and the Patriots have been extremely lucky. The tuck rule nonsense should have prevented them from getting to their first SB. If the Seahawks just run the ball they lose a few years ago. If the Falcons ran the ball one time (to burn the clock) they lose last year. They play in the weakest division in football. Their competition is Buffalo, Miami and New York. Barf. They get a golden ticket to the playoffs, first round byes and home field advantage on a yearly basis because of it.

Now, that being said, Belichick is the greatest coach ever. His half time adjustments are insane. I just saw a stat that they are 3-4 in the last 10 years when trailing by more than 10 pts in the 4th in the playoffs. The rest of the league is 3-70. So, they're pretty freakin clutch and Brady makes plays constantly to bring them back and/or win games. He's far better than "average." I really don't see how anyone can argue that he's not the best given the accomplishments. Are there better athletes at the position? Sure. Are there better throwers? Sure. Are there guys with stronger and more accurate arms? Sure. But who cares? The dude wins and that's the goal of playing the game.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:08 AM)
The "average QB" stuff is nonsense, but I totally agree that Brady and the Patriots have been extremely lucky. The tuck rule nonsense should have prevented them from getting to their first SB. If the Seahawks just run the ball they lose a few years ago. If the Falcons ran the ball one time (to burn the clock) they lose last year. They play in the weakest division in football. Their competition is Buffalo, Miami and New York. Barf. They get a golden ticket to the playoffs, first round byes and home field advantage on a yearly basis because of it.

Now, that being said, Belichick is the greatest coach ever. His half time adjustments are insane. I just saw a stat that they are 3-4 in the last 10 years when trailing by more than 10 pts in the 4th in the playoffs. The rest of the league is 3-70. So, they're pretty freakin clutch and Brady makes plays constantly to bring them back and/or win games. He's far better than "average." I really don't see how anyone can argue that he's not the best given the accomplishments. Are there better athletes at the position? Sure. Are there better throwers? Sure. Are there guys with stronger and more accurate arms? Sure. But who cares? The dude wins and that's the goal of playing the game.

Of course the average QB stuff is nonsense, I hate Tom Brady. 2001-02 was a traumatic experience for me as a die-hard Bears fan and casual Raiders fan. To see my two favorite teams get screwed(Jim Miller getting pile driven into the ground by that DE from Philly in the 1st 10 minutes of the game and knowing they had no chance, to the infamous Tuck Rule) Bears were not beating the Rams anyway, but that is beside the point. The Tuck Rule game was the descent into a decade and a half of hell for the Raiders and I take great pleasure in seeing Brady fail(however rare that is) I took all of my disappointment in that season and have channeled it into wanting to watch Brady suck and epically fail. The past 16 years have been incredibly frustrating to me as a football fan. My "Brady Sucks" idea is more of a schtick than an actual football thought. Deep down I know the truth, I just will never admit it. It doesn't change the fact that 6/7 of Brady's SB appearances were literally one play from changing the outcome in the other direction, whether he won or lost. SB 39 vs. Philly was the only one that was a tall tall task for them to lose the game, as Philly was down 10 points with roughly 5 mins left in the game, IIRC. It is hard to say that his success is anything more than an incredible stroke of luck when one play could have changed the outcome of 4/5 of his wins. He's 4 plays from being one of the biggest SB losers of all time. Imagine if he was 1-6 in those SBs? What would people think of him? I wish I lived in that universe.

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:24 AM)
Of course the average QB stuff is nonsense, I hate Tom Brady. 2001-02 was a traumatic experience for me as a die-hard Bears fan and casual Raiders fan. To see my two favorite teams get screwed(Jim Miller getting pile driven into the ground by that DE from Philly in the 1st 10 minutes of the game and knowing they had no chance, to the infamous Tuck Rule) Bears were not beating the Rams anyway, but that is beside the point. The Tuck Rule game was the descent into a decade and a half of hell for the Raiders and I take great pleasure in seeing Brady fail(however rare that is) I took all of my disappointment in that season and have channeled it into wanting to watch Brady suck and epically fail. The past 16 years have been incredibly frustrating to me as a football fan. My "Brady Sucks" idea is more of a schtick than an actual football thought. Deep down I know the truth, I just will never admit it. It doesn't change the fact that 6/7 of Brady's SB appearances were literally one play from changing the outcome in the other direction, whether he won or lost. SB 39 vs. Philly was the only one that was a tall tall task for them to lose the game, as Philly was down 10 points with roughly 5 mins left in the game, IIRC. It is hard to say that his success is anything more than an incredible stroke of luck when one play could have changed the outcome of 4/5 of his wins. He's 4 plays from being one of the biggest SB losers of all time. Imagine if he was 1-6 in those SBs? What would people think of him? I wish I lived in that universe.

Yes, but that didn't happen. They won those games and that's what makes them so great. Also, you could say the same thing about the two Super Bowls vs the Giants. The Giants literally needed miracle plays to win those games. Catching hail mary passes off your helmet by a career back up player kind of miracles. Patriots could easily be undefeated in Super Bowls.

The idea that Tom Brady is average is one of the craziest things I've ever read about sports. Same with the idea that they just got "lucky".