2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 04:47 PM)
Sean Payton 2014-2016

They did make the playoffs 5 out of the last 9 seasons though, and that definitely happens few and far in between. When you have a franchise QB, you have a much better chance to succeed. Saying Fox was a good coach when he had a franchise QB (a record setting offense to boot) just shows that he's capable of doing what most coaches could do, does not in fact suggest he's a good coach. I think letting Fox go is the right call here.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 02:02 PM)
While I usually agree with that, it seems like the tide has changed a little recently. Did Jared Goff become a franchise QB overnight or is he getting coached up so well? The Vikings have had Sam Bradford and Case Keenum all year and are the 2 seed. None of the 4 AFC quarterbacks playing this weekend are franchise QBs by any means.

The Vikings also have one of the best defenses in the league, plus actual weapons on offense.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 04:32 PM)
Wow, that is pretty ridiculous. When was his contract up anyways?

Pace’s contract was up next year along with Fox’s. Now his contract will match with his next coach

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 06:29 PM)
Makes sense, should have realized there was an explanation.

That probably is the reason, but Ted Phillips was pretty busy listing all the things Ryan Pace has accomplished since joining the Bears. I listen to Hampton, OB and Koz after each game, and the Bears could win 50-0 over New Ngland, those guys would make it seem like they got killed. This was the exact opposite. When Phillips was speaking, you would have thought Pace had this team in the Super Bowl every year.

I just don't see how Fox can get fired for going 14-34, and Pace gets extended when even he himself said that a lot of that was on him. I guess it's so someone won't freak out and not come on board because they think a new GM is one 7-9 season away. And I suppose even if they had to eat a couple or three years of money and dump him, it probably isn't anywhere near as much money as they blew on Glennon.

But if the Bears are 7-9 or 6-10 next year, why would they continue with this guy? His job should depend on winning some games at some point. I hope we are at that point now.

Pace gets a shot because he has drafted some outstanding young players the last two years:

Whitehair, Howard, Tarik, Shaheen, Jackson, Carson to name a few. Need Floyd to develop and Trubiskey to be a franchise guy, but after Pace's lackluster 2015 draft class where he really only got one good player, he has landed some players to build around. That said he has made his share of gaffs as well....he needs a killer draft and off-season, starting with nailing down a great coach.

I'd be a John Fox fan if the NFL would dump instant replay. LOL

Edited by kwolf68

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Jan 1, 2018 -> 09:17 PM)
Need Floyd to develop and Trubiskey to be a franchise guy, but after Pace's lackluster 2015 draft class where he really only got one good player, he has landed some players to build around. That said he has made his share of gaffs as well....he needs a killer draft and off-season, starting with nailing down a great coach.

He didn't have alot of his guys (scouts, personnel, etc) yet. Bears hired him so late in the draft process. I don't put the '15 draft on him as much as others do.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:28 AM)
Doesn't McDaniels want control over the 53?

I believe so (which he had in Denver and Belichick has now) so that may hit a snag there since Pace has already said he is the one who will have control in his presser.

I dont see how McDaniels can ask for control of the 53 man roster after the dumpster fire he left in his wake in Denver. I would give him input, but there would be no way in hell i would cede control.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:42 AM)
I dont see how McDaniels can ask for control of the 53 man roster after the dumpster fire he left in his wake in Denver. I would give him input, but there would be no way in hell i would cede control.

Yeah, it scares me that there was no "lesson learned" there. But I am much higher on this version of Belicheck assistants, who have had much more time under Belicheck and how that team is arranged.

I'd be pro-Patricia. I like his all around the field background and think it lends itself well to HC position. But obviously he'd need a guru.

I would love to know how McDaniels is viewed in coaching circles as far as having connections. If he's well liked and well connected or what

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:50 AM)
Yeah, it scares me that there was no "lesson learned" there. But I am much higher on this version of Belicheck assistants, who have had much more time under Belicheck and how that team is arranged.

I'd be pro-Patricia. I like his all around the field background and think it lends itself well to HC position. But obviously he'd need a guru.

I would love to know how McDaniels is viewed in coaching circles as far as having connections. If he's well liked and well connected or what

More than Weis and Crennel? I dunno man, Belichecks coaching tree hasnt really done much without him. Its hard for me to get behind anyone that has coached under him

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:53 AM)
More than Weis and Crennel? I dunno man, Belichecks coaching tree hasnt really done much without him. Its hard for me to get behind anyone that has coached under him

Yeah I guess I was thinking just in terms of offensive coordinator timing but you are right weis was with him for like 10 years.

I guess there is no reason to believe this time it's different but I still kinda believe it is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 11:42 AM)

Agreed on the control part, but let's not hold what he did 9 years ago as a 32 year old head coach as the end all. From all accounts, he has really matured now and there's no questioning his pedigree as a tactician.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 09:39 AM)
What is the point of your post?

I think Brian's point is that you might as well meet with him and have the conversation and then go from there. I have always thought it is best to have a front office and HC who are aligned, but the ultimate say of the roster should rest with the GM.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 12:13 PM)
I think Brian's point is that you might as well meet with him and have the conversation and then go from there. I have always thought it is best to have a front office and HC who are aligned, but the ultimate say of the roster should rest with the GM.

I’m not advocating they don’t meet with him, I’m just asking if he was still on that as he was last year with 49ers because it makes it unlikely he comes here.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 2, 2018 -> 02:13 PM)

There you go. If he can't work with someone else and he says that in the meeting, that would make me strongly question whether his hiring would end up much like it did in Denver.