2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:41 AM)
He's certainly winning a press conference.

Great answer on calling every play too. And good on Adam Hoge for asking

Loved his answer and the transparency. Also just amazing how good of a rapport he seemed to have with Reid. Man Nagy was dynamic answering the various questions. Agree...he certainly won the press conference.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right, he's getting flack for not guaranteeing a super bowl next year, or like, detailing exactly the offenses he'll run. Glad he was vague. He's supposed to be a guy that fits the talent to his personnel. Let him figure out what that is.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 02:30 PM)
Right, he's getting flack for not guaranteeing a super bowl next year, or like, detailing exactly the offenses he'll run. Glad he was vague. He's supposed to be a guy that fits the talent to his personnel. Let him figure out what that is.

I think some fans would have loved for him to go up there and say Uh I think I will use Cohen as I did Hill....and Shaheen is definitely as dynamic as Kelce...Mitch will be an Alex Smith but with a Aaron Rodgers mentality...blah blah blah...the Bears will look like the Chiefs did but we will go even further because Mitch is a top end QB....

Meatball fans would eat that up and believe it.

QUOTE (shipps @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 02:27 PM)
I think some fans would have loved for him to go up there and say Uh I think I will use Cohen as I did Hill....and Shaheen is definitely as dynamic as Kelce...Mitch will be an Alex Smith but with a Aaron Rodgers mentality...blah blah blah...the Bears will look like the Chiefs did but we will go even further because Mitch is a top end QB....

Meatball fans would eat that up and believe it.

Yep...meatballs might like it, but it would be a bunch of BS. I think the reality is he's going to have to start really looking at film, etc. Naive for anyone to think that this guy, as the OC of the Chiefs, was spending that much time watching film on the Bears. Additionally, the reality is, given that he was prepping a team for the playoffs, he wasn't able to just spend a week (before the interview) taking a crash course on the Bears. I'm sure he was able to find some time to prep for Bears/Colts interviews but I think it was more talking about concepts, how they'd build the team, etc. It really had to help that Nagy had insights into Trubisky (which enabled Pace to move a bit quicker which might have helped seal the deal over the Colts). I think he felt the love and also obviously bought into the long-term plan.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 02:30 PM)

Didn't they teach him to just say 'I will beat Green Bay" multiple times? Welcome to Chicago...

Will be interesting to see what happens. Obviously, new teams will be in play (once they hire coaches). Chargers and Seahawks are the two existing teams with openings (I believe). I guess technically Seattle does not have an opening so if Bradley went there it would be because their DC went somewhere else.

Niners could still make a play to bring Fangio back (they wanted him a year ago).

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 07:05 PM)
Rappaport:

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/950923362322305024

Things looking good.

Yep; Bearreport has someone reporting it as done too. Hopefully it gets finalized by the time I'm up tomorrow. Will feel much better having that continuity (and an awesome DC locked back down). Reports are that Nagy put on a full court press for Fangio and that is why we are seeing teams interested in Fangio's services going another direction. Possibly why we are seeing Bevell sign with Chargers as well.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 09:56 PM)
Yep; Bearreport has someone reporting it as done too. Hopefully it gets finalized by the time I'm up tomorrow. Will feel much better having that continuity (and an awesome DC locked back down). Reports are that Nagy put on a full court press for Fangio and that is why we are seeing teams interested in Fangio's services going another direction. Possibly why we are seeing Bevell sign with Chargers as well.

Not following your last sentence on Bevell. What does that signify?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 08:26 PM)
GB gets Pettine. Looking like it’s still open for Fangio to come back.

I'm excited about Pettine. Him and Rex Ryan put together some impressive defenses and didn't always have high end talent.

It's like getting a sane Rex Ryan.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:22 AM)
I'm excited about Pettine. Him and Rex Ryan put together some impressive defenses and didn't always have high end talent.

It's like getting a sane Rex Ryan.

Is there a contractual reason that he hasn’t been in the league since he was fired in 2015? Seems strange

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 08:51 AM)
Is there a contractual reason that he hasn’t been in the league since he was fired in 2015? Seems strange

He took a year off after being fired by the Browns and this past season he was working with the Seahawks as a consultant. I read he was with the Seahawks learning about their defensive scheme. Which is something else I like. That he has knowledge in a couple different types of defense.

@JasonLaCanfora

2m2 minutes ago

Eliot Wolf has in fact accepted the Browns offer to join their front office. He's agreed to a 4-year deal to work with GM John Dorsey

Suck to see Wolf leave Green Bay, but the Browns actually have some pretty good people running the show now. If that owner stays out it, they could have something.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 10:04 AM)
Suck to see Wolf leave Green Bay, but the Browns actually have some pretty good people running the show now. If that owner stays out it, they could have something.

*headline from Jan 1 2019*

the Browns fire entire front office following 1-15 season, extend Hue Jackson’s contract

Adam Jahns seems pretty sure Fangio is coming back. He was supposedly the second highest paid coordinator in the game last year, and with an offensive young coach, that probably made the Bears want to retain him even more.

It does contradict what many of the beat writers were writing earlier, that if he wasn't the head coach Fangio was out of there, and that the reason the Bears didn't want to fire Fox during the season was they didn't want Fangio to take over and do well because there were some in the upper levels Vic rubbed the wrong way.

He is 59 years old. Chances are, his odds of ever landing a HC position in the NFL are very long.