2017-2018 NFL Thread

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 14, 2018 -> 08:51 PM)
It always amazes me how so many collegian and professional athletes can be so incredibly gifted and at the same time so unbelievably unaware of situations that occur within games they’ve played their entire lives.

I thought the clusterf*** there was going to be Diggs not trying to go out of bounds. Instead, it was the safety not even laying a damn body part on the wide open tackle he had. Crazy.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 01:44 AM)
I thought the clusterf*** there was going to be Diggs not trying to go out of bounds. Instead, it was the safety not even laying a damn body part on the wide open tackle he had. Crazy.

Even the next morning that play is one that is going to be talked about forever. SO many things had to happen exactly the way they happened, otherwise that game was lost for Minny.

Half of Case Keenum's throws are just him throwing the ball in the air hoping his guys get it. I feel like he should have thrown like 3 or 4 picks yesterday. I don't know if he is just getting lucky or his WR are just making crazy plays.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 08:34 AM)
Half of Case Keenum's throws are just him throwing the ball in the air hoping his guys get it. I feel like he should have thrown like 3 or 4 picks yesterday. I don't know if he is just getting lucky or his WR are just making crazy plays.

He definitely has a horseshoe up his a** with only one of those "hail mary" like throws being picked but he's been solid overall so I won't bash him completely. Credit where it's due.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 01:44 AM)

After watching it live and then watching a bunch of replays, i'm convinced that (1) he was scared of getting a PI called on him for hitting a defenseless receiver, which is why he went low and (2) he was trying to be sure that he was between Diggs and the sideline so Diggs couldn't get out of bounds. He tried to anticipate where Diggs was going to spin once he landed, and unfortunately missed.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 12:28 PM)
After watching it live and then watching a bunch of replays, i'm convinced that (1) he was scared of getting a PI called on him for hitting a defenseless receiver, which is why he went low and (2) he was trying to be sure that he was between Diggs and the sideline so Diggs couldn't get out of bounds. He tried to anticipate where Diggs was going to spin once he landed, and unfortunately missed.

Oh and someone should add this - Bleeping Bleep **** those refs were 100% intent on calling everything they could as a PI on the Saints. My word.

I had when players like that fail in a massive moment. For example, back in the national championship game, I didn’t want Bama to win but after their kicker had that miss (where he choked), I kind of wanted them to win so no one would crucify the kid. I feel more strongly about this fact pattern when it comes to amateurs vs. professionals, but still that just sucks.

I also think to myself, what if that happened to the Bears (or for the Bears). I think I’d have died in either case.

Turning the table, the Bears are going to be interesting. I don’t know that they will be amazing or what, but they are going to be progressive or so it seems (based upon how they have built out this staff). Could turn into a giant dumpster fire but this is like no Bears coaching staff we’ve seen (except maybe Trestmans, haha). Not saying it’s the same as Trestman’s as Fangio on the D makes things a lot better but Trestman would have been considered somewhat of a “progressive” coach (not as young though).

Excited to see what happens.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 10:38 AM)
Oh and someone should add this - Bleeping Bleep **** those refs were 100% intent on calling everything they could as a PI on the Saints. My word.

It was quite the change from the Steelers/Jags game where the receivers and corner backs were wrestling on every play and nothing was called.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 11:54 AM)
It was quite the change from the Steelers/Jags game where the receivers and corner backs were wrestling on every play and nothing was called.

I really do wish I could say that officiating didn't decide both of those games yesterday, but it was at least as big of a factor as anything else. I'd have loved those games so much more if I hadn't felt the officials wound up with a lot of weak calls favoring the 2 teams that won.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 10:58 AM)
I really do wish I could say that officiating didn't decide both of those games yesterday, but it was at least as big of a factor as anything else. I'd have loved those games so much more if I hadn't felt the officials wound up with a lot of weak calls favoring the 2 teams that won.

The Saints have only themselves to blame.

There was some really bad calls on the Saints early in the game. There was one play where the Saints CB didn't even touch Diggs and they called PI.

I think the NFL needs to take a look at PI flags. Maybe do a minor one for 15 yards and a major that spots the ball. You can't have a PI that the CB barely even touches the WR and it turns into a 50 yards penalty.

I wanted to Saints to win because I don't want any NFC North Rival even sniffing the Super Bowl but the trigger finger by the refs with the PI and holdings were a bit of karma from the benefit of calls NO got last week against the Panthers.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 12:53 PM)
There was some really bad calls on the Saints early in the game. There was one play where the Saints CB didn't even touch Diggs and they called PI.

I think the NFL needs to take a look at PI flags. Maybe do a minor one for 15 yards and a major that spots the ball. You can't have a PI that the CB barely even touches the WR and it turns into a 50 yards penalty.

I've long thought PI should be challengeable. If they still used the "conclusive evidence to overturn the call on the field" standard then I think it could fix a lot of the egregious ones, where a guy trips over his own feet and still winds up with a PI called on the defense & stuff like that.

Unfortunately, with how the "catch" rule has gone on replays this year, I'm less confident in my belief that this would work than I was last year.

There was a call in the Steelers game where Juju Smith Schuster pushed a Jacksonville DB into Bell out of bounds. The dude got hit with a personal foul penalty. That's a call that should be immediately changed by the people in New York. Not reviewed, just changed on the spot via their headsets.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 04:09 PM)
McDaniels to the Colts. Should be interesting to see what happens there if Luck isn't healthy. I think McDaniels will want to move on if he doesn't trust Luck's shoulder anymore

They've got a $12.8 million cap hit if they cut him "After" this season, if I'm reading this right it's $22 million to cut him this season.

As opposed to the Jax/Steelers game where they were allowing them to do anything they wanted on every play.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 02:02 PM)
There was a call in the Steelers game where Juju Smith Schuster pushed a Jacksonville DB into Bell out of bounds. The dude got hit with a personal foul penalty. That's a call that should be immediately changed by the people in New York. Not reviewed, just changed on the spot via their headsets.

How about the one where after Ben threw the ball the D-lineman picked him up and threw him down? That was a game where they truly let them do whatever they wanted.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jan 15, 2018 -> 02:09 PM)
McDaniels to the Colts. Should be interesting to see what happens there if Luck isn't healthy. I think McDaniels will want to move on if he doesn't trust Luck's shoulder anymore

Reports are this isn't done anymore, as the Titans job has opened, and is McDaniels' first choice of job. Colts will have to fight it out with the Titans for his services.

EDIT: McDaniels still going to Colts.

Edited by Jack Parkman

Am I the only one who hates the current NFL playoff format? I think that hockey is the only sport that should have more than 8 teams in the playoffs. I'd do away with divisions, keep the 16 game schedule and play each team in your conference once, and the team that finished in the corresponding spot in the opposite conference. So if you are the Giants, you play the Browns, based on my schedule. Then, the top 4 teams in each conference make the playoffs. Any and all tiebreakers can be decided by H2H or point differential vs the 15 in conference opponents, in the rare case of a tie.

Edited by Jack Parkman