2017-2018 NFL Thread

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:51 AM)
Yes, but that didn't happen. They won those games and that's what makes them so great. Also, you could say the same thing about the two Super Bowls vs the Giants. The Giants literally needed miracle plays to win those games. Catching hail mary passes off your helmet by a career back up player kind of miracles. Patriots could easily be undefeated in Super Bowls.

The idea that Tom Brady is average is one of the craziest things I've ever read about sports. Same with the idea that they just got "lucky".

Every champion gets "lucky" at some extent. Even statistically, getting "lucky" that many times means you aren't really "lucky" anymore.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:54 AM)
Every champion gets "lucky" at some extent. Even statistically, getting "lucky" that many times means you aren't really "lucky" anymore.

Yeah, things have to go our way. You can look at a lot of championship teams and see things like that. Across all sports.

Listen, I don't like Tom Brady and the Patriots. They are the evil empire that wins all the time. Dosen't mean they aren't good.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:51 AM)
Yes, but that didn't happen. They won those games and that's what makes them so great. Also, you could say the same thing about the two Super Bowls vs the Giants. The Giants literally needed miracle plays to win those games. Catching hail mary passes off your helmet by a career back up player kind of miracles. Patriots could easily be undefeated in Super Bowls.

The idea that Tom Brady is average is one of the craziest things I've ever read about sports. Same with the idea that they just got "lucky".

Oh of course, I made reference to that in my post, but just as easily as they could be undefeated in Super Bowls, they could be 1-6. It goes both ways. The margin was razor thin. I understand the nature of football necessitates 1 game playoffs, but it doesn't actually find the best team that year because there is no series of games. Too much variance in a one-game tournament. NCAA Tourney is the same. You run into an outlier at the right time and you're eliminated. I think that if they were either 4-3 or 3-4 I wouldn't talk as much about the luck factor, because the luck has evened out at the end.

I personally think football should be run like Baseball was until 1969, where the two best records jump directly to the Super Bowl. You proved you were the best over 16 games, why take some stupid random event and throw it all out the window. Kinda agree on Baseball as well. To me, with playoffs, less=more.

Edited by Jack Parkman

I think even if the Patriots had gone 3-4 in Super Bowls they would be considered one of the greatest dynasties in the NFL. People forget how hard it is to get to the Super Bowl every year. I think the Patriots have kinda of messed that up in a way.

Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tony Romo, Brett Favre, Dan Marino. All hall of fame players and three Super Bowl wins combined.

Hell, John Elway didn't win his last two until the final two years of his career when the team was all about running the ball.

QUOTE (Tony @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 11:08 AM)
When someone continues to get “lucky”, it stops being luck.

Not when the margin is razor thin. Doesn't change the fact that Seattle and Atlanta's coaching staff mismanaged the ever loving hell out of their games, allowing NE to win. Those two are more on BB than Brady. I agree that you have to be lucky and good to win a championship in sports, however when the margin is so thin that one play could change the outcome in either direction, and it goes your way 5/7(so far) times, I'd say that is both lucky and good. If they were just that much better, the games wouldn't have been that close.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 10:57 AM)
Yeah, things have to go our way. You can look at a lot of championship teams and see things like that. Across all sports.

Listen, I don't like Tom Brady and the Patriots. They are the evil empire that wins all the time. Dosen't mean they aren't good.

I would love nothing more than to see the Pats bomb and suck for a long period of time. Their staying power over a very long period of time is as powerful of a statement as there is as to how "lucky" they are.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 22, 2018 -> 01:04 PM)
I would love nothing more than to see the Pats bomb and suck for a long period of time. Their staying power over a very long period of time is as powerful of a statement as there is as to how "lucky" they are.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Brady is done. He has to retire at some point, I think.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 11:42 AM)
Should WR be the #1 target for the Bears in round 1?

Or OL, or DB?

If they trade down I'd be fine taking a WR in round 1. I really don't like the idea of taking a WR in the top 10 though, particularly since there isn't a truly standout WR in the draft this year.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 10:49 AM)
If they trade down I'd be fine taking a WR in round 1. I really don't like the idea of taking a WR in the top 10 though, particularly since there isn't a truly standout WR in the draft this year.

Yeah, Calvin Ridley is not worth a top 10 pick. Maybe in the 20s. If you are gonna do that, might as well take a different guy somewhere in the 2nd-4th round anyway.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 11:12 AM)
Bears have 2 picks in the first four rounds. If they aren't in love with any player in the first and have a willing partner, it might be smart to trade back.

Same would go for the 2nd round.

That's not accurate, Bears have 2 fourth round picks. 1, 2, 4, 4

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 10:42 AM)

Or OL, or DB?

With that high of a pick, go impact pass rusher. Leonard has not stayed healthy. They need to pressure the QB.

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 08:42 AM)

Or OL, or DB?

OLB is a legit option, imo. I'd probably rank it OLB (i.e., pass rusher) / WR. DB fits the bill but my gut says it will be one of the other two positions. We could go oline and in general I imagine if we go oline / wr we have traded down.

Hub was mentioning a safety at 8. Says the guys available at the other positions of need either aren't top 10 guys or will be long gone. Of course, this is really early in the process. Hub also believes when it is all said and done, Mason Rudolph will be the first QB selected.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 12:11 PM)
Hub was mentioning a safety at 8. Says the guys available at the other positions of need either aren't top 10 guys or will be long gone. Of course, this is really early in the process. Hub also believes when it is all said and done, Mason Rudolph will be the first QB selected.

If Mason Rudolph 1st means there was a run on QBs then that's good, if it means none of the qbs are top pick worthy (which i'd put money against), then that's bad.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 03:36 PM)
I would like to go to a Super Bowl at least one in my life, but not for that kind of money.

I've heard nothing good about it if your team ain't in it, and for me, that's the reality every year :)

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 04:07 PM)
I've heard nothing good about it if your team ain't in it, and for me, that's the reality every year :)

It's probably a lot of crowded everything.

I'm definitely not going when my team is in it. I'm not showing that kind of emotion in public.