Delmonico promoted to big league club

shipps

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 09:08 AM)
He has only driven in 1 less run than Tyler Saladino.

That is kind of funny, but sad. I think Delmonico is going to be a good .270-.280 hitter in the majors with 15-20 HR power. He is still only 25 and doesn't look at all like he is intimidated up here. He bounced around to different organizations and now has stability in the White Sox.

As far as his defense he should be able to handle one of the corner OF spots, he will certainly have the arm considering he was at 3B. He is going to be a solid MLB and if he can give us what Melky gave us with a slightly lower average but a little more pop then that is a quality piece of your team that wont cost a lot.

Our shortstop and right fielder lead the world in errors at their respective positions. Our first baseman is up there in errors himself and is below-average defensively. I like Delmonico's bat, but not sure it makes sense at this point in time to introduce yet another such defensive liability into the mix on a regular basis, particularly when a guy like Rodon is trying to turn the corner on potential ace status, and with the young guys Lopez and Giolito soon to arrive.

Edited by Thad Bosley

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 10:16 AM)
Our shortstop and right fielder lead the world in errors at their respective positions. Our first baseman is up there in errors himself and is below-average defensively. I like Delmonico's bat, but not sure it makes sense at this point in time to introduce yet another such defensive liability into the mix on a regular basis, particularly when a guy like Rodon is trying to turn the corner on potential ace status, and with the young guys Lopez and Giolito soon to arrive.

I thought this is a rebuild. The others who clearly don't look like they belong on a major league roster will never sniff playing time in a few years. With Delmonico it's possible so he gets looks. If Avi Garcia gets 9 lives Delmonico needs at least 3 or 4.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
I thought this is a rebuild. The others who clearly don't look like they belong on a major league roster will never sniff playing time in a few years. With Delmonico it's possible so he gets looks. If Avi Garcia gets 9 lives Delmonico needs at least 3 or 4.

It is a rebuild, but of a pitching staff, too. And it's going to be difficult to do that if they run out a defensive unit each day that gives up 30, 31 outs. Gotta catch that baseball for these young arms!

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 11:16 AM)

Replace the SS with a better one - like Leury.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
You always find a place for a guy who can provide above average production batting left handed. Delmonico deserves his shot.

Is Delmonico reallly expected to be an above average hitter? I haven't seen enough power to see that if he is playing 3B or LF.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 06:30 PM)
I can't believe people actually want abandon ship with Anderson in year one of our rebuild.

I don't want to abandon him. But the Sox should tell him this offseason that in spite of his nice contract, his playing time will be determined by whether he becomes a better on base percentage guy and if he cleans it up defensively. The guy proved last year he has glove potential. So work on it this offseason or let the guy we just acquired start at short next year and have Anderson learn how to play baseball in the minors for the final bad year of the rebuild. He has to improve at the plate where he has shown potential (10 homers this year not bad; lotta doubles) and more importantly settle down defensively.

I hate to say it, but his nice contract appears to have hurt him as well as the personal tragedy in his life. The tragedy gives him a free pass on his horrible play this season. But next season he needs to improve a lot and try to put the horrible tragedy behind him.

I expect him to hit .285 with 20 home runs, 84 RBI and cut his errors in half.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
I can't believe people actually want abandon ship with Anderson in year one of our rebuild.

I can't believe people are married to the worst SS in MLB, when there is at least one SS better than him already in the roster.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

Not ready to give up on Timmy yet. I think he can turn it around and probably will next year. But given where we are in our rebuild and the upcoming drafts, future trades, etc...I could very well see Tim as similar to Starlin Castro--a competent SS who gets traded to add some additional prospect capital to the contending club. I think guys like Turang in the draft or eventually current top prospects like Rodgers end up on this squad and Tim gets shipped off.

Anderson's value right now is about even with Avi Garcia.

They'll try him in CF or LF before they just attempt to dump his contract. They have a lot invested in his succeeding for this organization. As far as the Starling Castro comparisons, they're not even in the same ballpark offensively.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 12:10 AM)
I can't believe people are married to the worst SS in MLB, when there is at least one SS better than him already in the roster.

I can't believe people think he has already reached his peak in the worst year of his life.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 09:00 AM)
I can't believe people think he has already reached his peak in the worst year of his life.

I don't think he was prepared for the majors and should probably still be in the minors but I also felt that Rodon should have not come up until this year as well.

I really hope things in this organization have changed other trading MLB talent for MiLB talent. If not it's going to be a long decade.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
I don't think he was prepared for the majors and should probably still be in the minors but I also felt that Rodon should have not come up until this year as well.

I really hope things in this organization have changed other trading MLB talent for MiLB talent. If not it's going to be a long decade.

If it hadn't really changed, Fulmer/Giolito/Lopez/Moncada would have been on the April 1 roster.

Yep.

Using these prospects to build a competitive major league team is a lot harder than tearing it down. And considering what they had to trade, it shouldn't be on a Astros-like timeline.

These are the 2nd year statistics of one of the best SS's of the current generation:

.255/.271/.373, 2.2% BB, 13.5% K (16.4% MLB average), 0.5 WAR, 64 wRC+, 229 PAs

And these are the statistics of Tim Anderson:

.237/.258/.361, 2.5 BB%, 27.9% K (21.6% MLB average), -1.0 WAR, 59 wRC+, 402 PAs

Jose Reyes was only 21 years old in 2004, but considering where both are at with regards to their overall baseball age, I'd say they are similar.

Anyone willing to write Tim Anderson off in the first year of the rebuild needs a reality check.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 10:25 AM)
These are the 2nd year statistics of one of the best SS's of the current generation:

.255/.271/.373, 2.2% BB, 13.5% K (16.4% MLB average), 0.5 WAR, 64 wRC+, 229 PAs

And these are the statistics of Tim Anderson:

.237/.258/.361, 2.5 BB%, 27.9% K (21.6% MLB average), -1.0 WAR, 59 wRC+, 402 PAs

Jose Reyes was only 21 years old in 2004, but considering where both are at with regards to their overall baseball age, I'd say they are similar.

Anyone willing to write Tim Anderson off in the first year of the rebuild needs a reality check.

Anyone will to write off Tim Anderson after during his first full year in the bigs is in for a loooong rebuild.

Rodon in AAA last year would have been a joke. Like MLB players association grievance joke.