Delmonico promoted to big league club

shipps

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
Rodon in AAA last year would have been a joke. Like MLB players association grievance joke.

I've said it before, but it isn't too hard to look back at where and when Rodon was drafted and draw a realistic scenario with him making his major league debut right about now.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rodon's 2015 callup was clearly too early. He would have benefited from being allowed to focus on his changeup and fastball command without worrying about Major League results. But would be crazy to see him down again in 2016.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 10:56 AM)
Rodon's 2015 callup was clearly too early. He would have benefited from being allowed to focus on his changeup and fastball command without worrying about Major League results. But would be crazy to see him down again in 2016.

Yes, NOW it is too late. But if he had taken a traditional trip through the minors it might have looked like this...

Drafted 2014, signed late. Goes to rookie ball for some short starts and relief appearances as is traditional for starters the Sox don't want to rush to limit IP.

2015, start off in Low A, eventually move to High A after the ASG.

2016 run through AA, maybe a late move up to AAA.

2017 start at AAA, called up around trading deadline to replace a traded pitcher.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)
Yes, NOW it is too late. But if he had taken a traditional trip through the minors it might have looked like this...

Drafted 2014, signed late. Goes to rookie ball for some short starts and relief appearances as is traditional for starters the Sox don't want to rush to limit IP.

2017 start at AAA, called up around trading deadline to replace a traded pitcher.

That seems very slow. I think we would have had issues being that conservative as he watched someone like Nola in the big leagues for 2 years. We'll see the track someone like Kyle Wright takes.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:03 AM)

That's the type of timeline you give a pitcher drafted out of high school, not a college pitcher who went 3rd overall. 22 year old Carlos Rodon in low A ball would be a joke. He would be lights out.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 11:34 AM)
That's the type of timeline you give a pitcher drafted out of high school, not a college pitcher who went 3rd overall. 22 year old Carlos Rodon in low A ball would be a joke. He would be lights out.

Yet there is Hansen.

I know they are different situations but not that vastly different that they can't be compared.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 02:46 PM)
Yet there is Hansen.

I know they are different situations but not that vastly different that they can't be compared.

Except for rehab starts, Rodon has 34 1/3 minor league innings under his belt. Rodon is vastly different from just about every pitcher.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 6, 2017 -> 12:14 PM)
It is a rebuild, but of a pitching staff, too. And it's going to be difficult to do that if they run out a defensive unit each day that gives up 30, 31 outs. Gotta catch that baseball for these young arms!

So he doesn't even get a chance to prove himself now? Where's that gif of the dog someone posted a while back that looks like Avi trying to play defense in the outfield.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 7, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Anyone will to write off Tim Anderson after during his first full year in the bigs is in for a loooong rebuild.

He belongs in AAA until he can bring a major league approach at the plate. Time to give him a wake up call. Draft Turang also to send the message.

Last 2 threads I clicked on to actually talk about baseball ( you know young players, the shift, stealing bases) have devolved into amateur shrink threads about Tim Anderson.

So anyway how about that kid Delmonico bunting for hits 2 times now to beat the shift. Would be cool to see Moncada do that from the left side also.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 8, 2017 -> 11:44 PM)
Last 2 threads I clicked on to actually talk about baseball ( you know young players, the shift, stealing bases) have devolved into amateur shrink threads about Tim Anderson.

So anyway how about that kid Delmonico bunting for hits 2 times now to beat the shift. Would be cool to see Moncada do that from the left side also.

Love it. I mean if they are going to GIVE you something like an 80/90% chance at a hit, you HAVE to take it. We talk about statistics in baseball and odds and run expectancy, this highest possibility has to be when they give you that kind of of a percentage at a base hit versus any of the other odds.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 09:01 AM)
Love it. I mean if they are going to GIVE you something like an 80/90% chance at a hit, you HAVE to take it. We talk about statistics in baseball and odds and run expectancy, this highest possibility has to be when they give you that kind of of a percentage at a base hit versus any of the other odds.

The solution for beating the shift is being willing to occasionally lay down successful bunts to get on base. Eventually teams will stop shifting if you continue to do that.

A bunt down the third base line is extremely difficult for a pitcher to deal with, so anything in play that goes more than 10 feet is likely to be a hit.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 9, 2017 -> 08:18 AM)
The solution for beating the shift is being willing to occasionally lay down successful bunts to get on base. Eventually teams will stop shifting if you continue to do that.

A bunt down the third base line is extremely difficult for a pitcher to deal with, so anything in play that goes more than 10 feet is likely to be a hit.

Well against a vacated left side the ideal thing to do is just bunt it hard and get it past the pitcher. Doesn't have to be a perfect bunt but ideally it should go further than 10 ft. Bunt hard enough to get it past the pitcher but shouldn't have to hug the line so there's room for error. If it ends up rolling to 3rd base or past it that's perfect.

Hes been on a tear since he got promoted, 7 game hit streak to start his career. I like comps personally and I think a good/better/best scenario would be something like this

Ben Broussard / Travis Shaw / Brandon Belt

KATOH preseason by stats only had him ranked at #92 with 4.4fWAR

I really enjoy his approach at the plate and love his willingness to bunt against the shift and his splits in the minors as he has progressed have been average to slightly above against left handed pitching.

I like what I've seen from Delmonico so far...at the plate at least. I think we all know he's not going to be a .380 hitter, but I think he's working on earning himself a chance to be part of the 25-man next season. I could see him being the DH while getting a few starts at 3rd or in the outfield.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 09:37 AM)
I like what I've seen from Delmonico so far...at the plate at least. I think we all know he's not going to be a .380 hitter, but I think he's working on earning himself a chance to be part of the 25-man next season. I could see him being the DH while getting a few starts at 3rd or in the outfield.

There's no reason he's not. He's young, cost controlled, and has flashed if nothing else a strong platoon bat. I've probably said it a million times but other than some flashes from Moncada in spring, Delmonico was by far the loudest young Sox bat I saw. He has no position but if he can hit 280/340/480 it really doesn't matter, he's a MLB regular.

I'm not at all convinced he is but the path is cleared to give him 500 PA next year to find out.

After the 3 hit 2 HR game against the Dodgers I have to say it. Oh Nicky you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Nicky , hey Nicky !

And for all those who have no idea what I'm talking about there's this gem from way back in 1982.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:40 PM)
Might as well play Davidson at 3B and let Delmonico get a bulk of DH at bats while seeing some time at LF and 1B.

They need to really see if they can turn Demonico into a LF if they think his bat is for real. He needs to be playing in the field regularly while the games don't matter to know if he can when they do.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
They need to really see if they can turn Demonico into a LF if they think his bat is for real. He needs to be playing in the field regularly while the games don't matter to know if he can when they do.

Yeah that's fine too. Hopefully Cordell is healthy for OF at bats next year as well. I think I've seen enough of Engel (small sample size but minor league numbers are meh).

Edited by soxfan2014