Delmonico promoted to big league club

shipps

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
Yeah that's fine too. Hopefully Cordell is healthy for OF at bats next year as well. I think I've seen enough of Engel (small sample size but minor league numbers are meh).

I want to see Engel in CF daily for the same idea, but the opposite reason. He is one hell of a defensive CF. He is almost has to be the best one in the organization. Now we have to see if he can hit.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:47 PM)
Yeah that's fine too. Hopefully Cordell is healthy for OF at bats next year as well. I think I've seen enough of Engel (small sample size but minor league numbers are meh).

Tilson should be in the mix as well. I think Cordell ends up the super utility guy as he has played pretty much every position outside of the battery.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:50 PM)
I want to see Engel in CF daily for the same idea, but the opposite reason. He is one hell of a defensive CF. He is almost has to be the best one in the organization. Now we have to see if he can hit.

Engel should be in CF next year unless we somehow find a better option with mix of defense and hit tool. He can't hit much, but he is an elite defender. If Engel can become just a .240/.320/.390 guy, that is plenty valuable with his defense in CF until something better comes along.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:42 PM)
They need to really see if they can turn Demonico into a LF if they think his bat is for real. He needs to be playing in the field regularly while the games don't matter to know if he can when they do.

Agreed, I want to see him out there in LF at least 3 times a week with maybe 1 game at 1B, 1 at 3B, and 1/2 at DH. No point in not getting him reps in the field at this juncture.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 08:33 PM)
Engel should be in CF next year unless we somehow find a better option with mix of defense and hit tool. He can't hit much, but he is an elite defender. If Engel can become just a .240/.320/.390 guy, that is plenty valuable with his defense in CF until something better comes along.

small sample size but Engel is not lighting up the defensive metrics. Leury grades out as much better

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 03:32 PM)
It's impossible for me to believe Engel has been not good in CF. He seems to have been covering for subpar players to his left and right and gotten everything hit over his head.

All it proves to me is that defensive metrics still aren't all that great, because Engel is the real deal in CF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 03:28 PM)
They are hitting him for his range? lol, wut? Engel gets some of the best reads and range I have seen this year. That is terrible.

Actually it looks like it's his arm that's the biggest culprit of his mediocre defensive metrics so far. Though I do agree that his range should be graded better than it has.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 03:27 PM)
The eye test tells me he is quite good. I am shocked the defensive metrics don't agree.

It's steadily climbing up. Just last week, it was a bit worse. Hell, his DRS is now -1 which was -4 a couple of weeks ago.

QUOTE (knightni @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Are there any really good CF prospects besides Robert?

Rutherford though there's obviously questions if he can stay in center.

And agreed on people who say give Nicky all the reps in left field for now. He hasn't played there a ton and who the hell knows maybe he becomes capable out there. Worth a shot at this moment.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 04:46 PM)
Rutherford though there's obviously questions if he can stay in center.

And agreed on people who say give Nicky all the reps in left field for now. He hasn't played there a ton and who the hell knows maybe he becomes capable out there. Worth a shot at this moment.

He seems to be athletic enough, couldn't be worse than Dayan or Avi out there at times.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
The eye test tells me he is quite good. I am shocked the defensive metrics don't agree.

Why would you be shocked ? Many of these metrics are not an exact science especially the defensive metrics. I have quit mentioning (except for now) how I feel about framing pitches but I almost cringe every time I see people talking about them as if its some great matter of concern. I have written about that til I'm blue in the fingers but no ones minds will be changed including mine. So I have chosen the "why argue about it" stance until framing as a big concern ( maybe a minor concern) fades away into the baseball obscure stats dustbin.