Lets Catch up from the last few Days

Rowand44

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)
Micker Adolfo hit a couple of dingers last night too.

Amongst Sallie league leaders, he is 3rd in homers, tied for 3rd in 2b's, 5th in RBI, 11th in hits, 18th in SLG, 20th in OPS.

Burger, Rutherford, Adolfo were taking turns having monster days while the site blew up. That Kanny offense is absurd.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Our low levels are full of prospects. Upper levels there a smattering of prospects but a lot of filler. Gonna take awhile, longer than I had hoped.

Hate to be the pessimist but a lot of these prospects will become filler at the upper levels.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 01:07 PM)
Our low levels are full of prospects. Upper levels there a smattering of prospects but a lot of filler. Gonna take awhile, longer than I had hoped.

The upper levels have a ton of pitching prospects, position prospects not so much.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I don't agree with that. Kopech is in AA, Giolito and Lopez in AAA...Id say their top end talent is fairly spread out.

We currently do not have any true quality position player prospects playing in AA/AAA right now that project to be everyday mlb players.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 05:52 PM)
Well they graduated Delmonico and Moncada in the last few weeks. High A is also closer to the majors than many people realize.

Yes and no. Players can go from high-A to the MLB in about half a season, so in that regard I would agree completely. On the other hand, the difference between high-A and AA seems to be the biggest jump of any within the minors, so you really begin to weed people out.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 06:19 PM)
Yes and no. Players can go from high-A to the MLB in about half a season, so in that regard I would agree completely. On the other hand, the difference between high-A and AA seems to be the biggest jump of any within the minors, so you really begin to weed people out.

I agree with all this. It really just depends on the player.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 03:55 PM)
I don't agree with that. Kopech is in AA, Giolito and Lopez in AAA...Id say their top end talent is fairly spread out.

There's a good chance at least one of those three guys fails miserably at the major league level and spends the next few years as AAA fodder. I'm not even going to start getting overly optimistic on anyone until they can handle AA ball. Young prospects with projectability are fun to stockpile and watch. But at this point there's a much better chance Delmonico reaches 1000 PAs in the bigs than Rutherford or Adolfo. They're still so far away their likeihood of success is fairly low.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 04:19 PM)

In general, I think it is a pretty ballsy assertion to say that players will go from A high to MLB in half a season. That would be more the exception to the rule vs. the norm. Reality is you are talking more like 1-2 years, for special prospects, possibly on the shorter-end, but that also depends on overall maturity and experience level. If you are a 19 year old-kid, I'd put that gap probably wider then even the 1-2 year mark.

If there is a player in the Sox system who is showing the ability to just fly through the majors its Eloy Jimenez. And really we do not know with Luis Robert yet, he's crushing his competition in the DSL but we wont really have an idea of who he is on the field until the AFL (if the Sox chose that) or his first stateside assignment. If he really is "The Cuban Bryce Harper" he'll force their hand pretty quickly.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 4, 2017 -> 07:32 PM)
In general, I think it is a pretty ballsy assertion to say that players will go from A high to MLB in half a season. That would be more the exception to the rule vs. the norm. Reality is you are talking more like 1-2 years, for special prospects, possibly on the shorter-end, but that also depends on overall maturity and experience level. If you are a 19 year old-kid, I'd put that gap probably wider then even the 1-2 year mark.

You're right, but there are exceptions where you can see a player who has spent the better part of his career in low A or high A get promoted to AA, absolutely rake, and rather than taking a stop at AAA they are promoted right to the majors, but that is very, very rare.

I said half a season but I think I was thinking more along the lines of half a year, meaning 6 months. I don't think it's far fetched that Eloy could get a cup of coffee in 2018, but I don't think the Sox will do so because they will want the extra year of control. I definitely think he is up and in the lineup by about May 15th of 2019, though that also depends upon health (and progression too, but he is such a good hitter already).

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 10:18 AM)
He's not really crushing his competition in the DSL.

A .500 OBP is impressive in any minor league, so I would say robert is doing just fine after not playing organized baseball in a year. He should be ready to start playing in kannapolis to start 2018

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 5, 2017 -> 05:10 PM)
.977 OPS is crushing, or at least very close to it.

977 is obviously a great OPS, but a large part of that is OBP and a large part of that is a lot of walks, which is not the definition of crushing. Still, his stats are okay.