Players weekend

Kyyle23

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
Looks like i'm in the minority of people that thinks this is just dumb

Just a marketing gimmick to drum up money for the league

It's a marketing gimmick to promote and drum up support for Little League Baseball. It's probably more related to the reduced number of kids playing baseball than a need for cash.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
Looks like i'm in the minority of people that thinks this is just dumb

Just a marketing gimmick to drum up money for the league

I agree. With all the special uniforms, it's just to get people to buy more stuff. I do think it's dumb, but it doesn't really bother me. It's like the Hallmark holidays now.

I do wonder if any team will break from the norm and go back to a pullover full time.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChrisLikesBaseball @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 07:17 AM)
It's a marketing gimmick to promote and drum up support for Little League Baseball. It's probably more related to the reduced number of kids playing baseball than a need for cash.

What are they playing?

Certainly not football with all the CTE concerns....just computer/video games? iPad and tech gadgets?

Also not reading more....

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 10:47 AM)
Yeah I really don't see why this would bother someone.

Because they loathe change.

A coworker is a Yankees fan and hates that THIS is how names get put on their jerseys. I can get that.

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
Because they loathe change.

A coworker is a Yankees fan and hates that THIS is how names get put on their jerseys. I can get that.

Or they can simply just think it's silly and dumb because they think it's silly and dumb. Kind of like the "Turn Ahead the Clock" Jerseys they wore in the early 90's. No harm, but there is a reason they never did it again.

Nothing to do with "change". Not going to affect whether or not I watch the game or whatever. It's not that important.

But not everyone has to like or agree with everything that happens either.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
Or they can simply just think it's silly and dumb because they think it's silly and dumb. Kind of like the "Turn Ahead the Clock" Jerseys they wore in the early 90's. No harm, but there is a reason they never did it again.

Nothing to do with "change". Not going to affect whether or not I watch the game or whatever. It's not that important.

Turn Ahead the Clock was great.

And whenever someone starts complaining it's because of money, it's usually due to change. As in "they're only changing this up for money".

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)

It wasn't that long ago that you rarely saw someone wearing a jersey in the stands. Now they all have the regular, the alternate, the Sunday, the Mother's Day, the Father's Day, the turn back the clock, the Memorial Day/Independence day, the All Star, the Players Choice...and that is just minimum. Too me, it's a bit much. But as long as I can tell who the players are, I'm not really bothered but money is the motivation. Think about how all the weekend themed uniforms and hats change every year. They are selling you something. If people want to buy it, great. I do get more irked when they seemingly wear their black alternates more than the regular uniforms.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 11:23 AM)

Have you not read some of the posts during a trade thread(s) when a poster or more disagrees about a return and the others jump down his or their neck(s) because of it? :lol:

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 06:43 AM)
Have you not read some of the posts during a trade thread(s) when a poster or more disagrees about a return and the others jump down his or their neck(s) because of it? :lol:

When their argument is: "they should have gotten more" without knowing what was offered, it's pretty stupid.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 06:05 AM)
When their argument is: "they should have gotten more" without knowing what was offered, it's pretty stupid.

Time to revive this since we will be seeing those jersey's starting tonight. Not only do the jerseys have the nicknames they also feature a kind of thank you patch on the shoulder where a player names a person or people that influenced his baseball career or people who motivate them .

Here is an article from whitesox.com explaining what all the nicknames mean and the people listed on the thank you patches.

Here is an explanation of the name on Kevan Smith's jersey .

Kevan Smith: "Szmydth"

The catcher's last name was spelled in this manner when his grandparents came over from Poland.

What the article doesn't tell you is that was Kevan's 2nd choice.

His 1st choice was Ripper which I believe was a college or HS nickname. So why didn't he use it ? MLB sent him some kind of waiver that said he in no way was supporting Jack the Ripper , the serial killer from London , England from over 125 years ago. He was so stunned he decided just to pick a new name.

You can now speculate as to why he was called "Ripper" . :D

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 10, 2017 -> 12:19 PM)
It wasn't that long ago that you rarely saw someone wearing a jersey in the stands. Now they all have the regular, the alternate, the Sunday, the Mother's Day, the Father's Day, the turn back the clock, the Memorial Day/Independence day, the All Star, the Players Choice...and that is just minimum. Too me, it's a bit much. But as long as I can tell who the players are, I'm not really bothered but money is the motivation. Think about how all the weekend themed uniforms and hats change every year. They are selling you something. If people want to buy it, great. I do get more irked when they seemingly wear their black alternates more than the regular uniforms.

With you 100% on all of this.

I was watching clips of Jimmy Piersall games when he passed, there isn't a jersey in the stands, people aren't wearing any white sox merch. Just regular clothes.

People can wear what they want, I hope they have fun, but it's a bit much for me.

Either this place is dead from the Sox poor record or this thread has run its course even before the whole thing started. This is supposed to be fun,celebrate the little leagues, honor people who made you the player you are now and those who support you. Wear colorful cleats, swing a colorful bat . it's a pretty big deal around the league this weekend. Are they selling it ? Of course what good idea doesn't get promoted and sold these days ? It's a consumer society. I'm not going to spend any money on it but I still think it's something to promote baseball, it's cool it's fun , it gets people talking .

Baseball is losing interest in US kids. It's a problem that must be dealt with. This is part of that process. Lighten up all you Francis's.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 06:46 PM)
Either this place is dead from the Sox poor record or this thread has run its course even before the whole thing started. This is supposed to be fun,celebrate the little leagues, honor people who made you the player you are now and those who support you. Wear colorful cleats, swing a colorful bat . it's a pretty big deal around the league this weekend. Are they selling it ? Of course what good idea doesn't get promoted and sold these days ? It's a consumer society. I'm not going to spend any money on it but I still think it's something to promote baseball, it's cool it's fun , it gets people talking .

Baseball is losing interest in US kids. It's a problem that must be dealt with. This is part of that process. Lighten up all you Francis's.

Agreed. It's getting a little to serious. It's a sport/entertainment.