A Star is Born

caulfield12

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 05:54 AM)
Regardless of what the board thinks, that is why He was traded in the first place. Unprofessional + the laroche saga is what started it all. FO was sick of him. Same with Eaton.

What ? Are you saying the Sox decision to rebuild was based on Sale's behavior ? Or maybe you are saying that even if the Sox rebuilt if Sale was a model citizen they wouldn't have traded him ?

That is way out there man, either theory .

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)
What ? Are you saying the Sox decision to rebuild was based on Sale's behavior ? Or maybe you are saying that even if the Sox rebuilt if Sale was a model citizen they wouldn't have traded him ?

Well, Abreu is DFA-worthy

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:19 AM)

The conspiracy theory out there at first was that the Sox weren't rebuilding but they were just trading the bad apples(Sale and Eaton) but like I said, any even small thought of that being true went out the window with everything else they've done.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 05:55 AM)
Well, they did trade Eaton/Sale/Duke well before Q, for conspiracy theorists out there...

No need to fan the flames. It is just absurd. I can't believe this line of thinking still exists. If you rebuild you trade all vets worth anything. Sale or Eaton should be exempt when they bring the best return ? It's not personal it's business, pure and simple.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 06:24 AM)
The conspiracy theory out there at first was that the Sox weren't rebuilding but they were just trading the bad apples(Sale and Eaton) but like I said, any even small thought of that being true went out the window with everything else they've done.

I thought it was pretty much put to bed because of everyone else being traded , that's why I offered the alternative take that even during a rebuild Sale would have been kept if he was a not such a hot head.

So anyway yeah way to make it all about you ron883 instead of celebrating Moncada's walk off.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:25 AM)
No need to fan the flames. It is just absurd. I can't believe this line of thinking still exists. If you rebuild you trade all vets worth anything. Sale or Eaton should be exempt when they bring the best return ? It's not personal it's business, pure and simple.

Sale and Eaton started it. The sox FO viewed them as toxic and wanted them out. After trading them, it really started the rebuild. That toxicity affects business BTW. Sale had no respect for authority. The FO wanted him gone. There was no point in holding on to Q or others with such a bad team.

To address the Sale discussion, I don't think his behavior had anything (or very little) to do with the trade. I'm sure the front office was upset with the way he behaved at times, but if they did not get the offer they were looking for he would not have been traded. To Sale's credit, it seems like he's doing well in Boston. He's pitching very well, and it seems like he's been mature. If a meltdown occurs in the playoffs, we'll have to see how that goes.

As far as Moncada, man it's nice to see him excel. He has quickly turned around his slow start. The patience he shows at the plate with his ability to see pitches is very encouraging. That home run last night was great. Hitting a 98 mph pitch on the outer part of the plate to left center requires a lot of power. His swing looks so smooth. And the walk-off...fantastic. This kid is going to be a star.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 07:54 AM)
Regardless of what the board thinks, that is why He was traded in the first place. Unprofessional + the laroche saga is what started it all. FO was sick of him. Same with Eaton.

How in the world can people still hold on to this? This is 100% laughable.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)
Sale and Eaton started it. The sox FO viewed them as toxic and wanted them out. After trading them, it really started the rebuild. That toxicity affects business BTW. Sale had no respect for authority. The FO wanted him gone. There was no point in holding on to Q or others with such a bad team.

Is there a trading block for posters? Maybe we can get a PTBNL?

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:58 AM)
he should clear waivers with ease, but I'm not sure anyone wants that contract even for a PTBNL

Good point. That toxicity affects business BTW. He has no respect for authority. The FO wants him gone. There was no point in holding on to him with such a bad attitude.

When Moncada gets into a favorable count like 2-0, where he can lock-in to a fastball if it's in the zone, it just seems like game over. I'm actually surprised the ball only want as far as it did, he seemed to get all of it (maybe it was a bit toward end of bat).

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:34 AM)

Dude, just stop, you're embarrassing yourself with this nonsense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:51 AM)
How in the world can people still hold on to this? This is 100% laughable.

Yeah and especially since its known that Hahn was wanting to rebuild before the Sale/LaRoche/Eaton Saga's. Which means Hahn was willing to deal them before all that stuff but JR was pushing to try and win one more.

I don't deny the antics of those players ticked off some folks in the FO but those antics are not why those players were traded.

* wanders off in search of tin foil batters helmet *

Edited by BlackSox13

I think it is possible that once the front office decided on a rebuild, they knew that Sale, due to his highly competitive nature, may not fare well on a really bad team especially one tanking. Q was always quiet and highly professional. While I think the constant trade rumors bothered Q, he never publicly complained. I don't know if Sale would have handled it as well. It really doesn't matter because once the decision to rebuild was made, they both had to go as they were the assets most likely to return important rebuild pieces. Eaton also had value. It was business and assets left as soon as the offers were judged to be adequate.

You can argue the Sale trade feels a player light, but we arguably got back the highest ceiling positional & pitching prospects in baseball. If even one of these two works out, the trade is an anbsolute win for us because we were not going to be able to put a winner around Sale before we lost him to free agency. If both work out, wow is all I have to say.

Ultimately the Sox got what they needed to make a no regrets deal and took it. The move was made 100% on merit with the intention of kicking the rebuild off right and had nothing to do with behavioral issues. The notion that the front office RF aded Sale & Eaton for such reasons and only then decided to rebuild is some the bats*** craziest nonsense I have ever heard.

This is hilarious. Moncada hits a game tying HR, then the game winning single and people are stil whining about Sale. Seriously, you've had 9 months to accept he's gone, get over it already.

Anyway. I am f***ing thrilled with the trades and the Sox sweep over the Astros. Some younger guys are stepping up and contributing to these wins, as a fan, this is exactly the way I'd like to them win.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 09:40 AM)
This is hilarious. Moncada hits a game tying HR, then the game winning single and people are stil whining about Sale. Seriously, you've had 9 months to accept he's gone, get over it already.

Anyway. I am f***ing thrilled with the trades and the Sox sweep over the Astros. Some younger guys are stepping up and contributing to these wins, as a fan, this is exactly the way I'd like to them win.

And still currently have the second pick. All is going according to plan.

Sidenote: how have the Giants played four more games than us?

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 11, 2017 -> 08:40 AM)

I'm surprised the board is not talking about Moncada as well. He is essentially the key piece to our rebuilding effort and he just had a superstar performance last night.

Even though wins do not matter moving forward in 2017, this game felt oddly significant and a glimpse into what our very bright future holds. Moncada has all the potential to become a star player for the White Sox.