Covey to be recalled

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
So that's the same rule? I thought Nieto had to be on the roster all season? Covey was recalled from the minors?

Covey has been on the DL. You can spend time on the DL, but must spend 90 active days on the 25 man.

QUOTE (Leonard Zelig @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 12:41 PM)
So that's the same rule? I thought Nieto had to be on the roster all season? Covey was recalled from the minors?

He had been on the DL for a couple of months and was on a rehab assignment. They can't send him down without offering him back to Oakland. If he gets hurt again before rosters expand, he might not make the 90 days either, although I don't see what the big deal would be if Oakland wanted him back.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
Even if we lost him back to the A's, would we really be losing much?

He's already 26 and got shredded during his ML stint, has only 6 games of AA play and only 2 at AAA (both during his rehab assignment).

I am certainly no Covey fan, but at this point, we may as well keep him on the roster. Clearly he isn't going to be a ML starter, but maybe he can become a useful middle reliever. He can go back to the minors next year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
I am certainly no Covey fan, but at this point, we may as well keep him on the roster. Clearly he isn't going to be a ML starter, but maybe he can become a useful middle reliever. He can go back to the minors next year.

There is no reason for the Sox to be giving even marginal players away. While he clearly wasn't ready this year, that actually is the entire reason he was available this year to the Sox. Get him his 90 days and they you own his rights for the next 5 years. That is the best way to handle this.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)
There is no reason for the Sox to be giving even marginal players away. While he clearly wasn't ready this year, that actually is the entire reason he was available this year to the Sox. Get him his 90 days and they you own his rights for the next 5 years. That is the best way to handle this.

I know it was the Padres, but the dude struck out 9 guys in like 4 innings. Really, that tells me there is something there. It's not easy to strike out 9 guys in 4 innings at any professional level, let alone in the majors.

May as well run him out there and let him pitch.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
Even if we lost him back to the A's, would we really be losing much?

He's already 26 and got shredded during his ML stint, has only 6 games of AA play and only 2 at AAA (both during his rehab assignment).

I don't see him being a part of a contender even as a long reliever. So no I don't think it matters at this point

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 04:20 PM)

Well yeah after giving away a guy who would be a top 5 prospect in our organization this year yeah, I guess.