Zack Collins/Eloy Jimenez promoted

Jose Abreu

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
I think Gio and Kopech are up once the Sox secure the extra year of control. I'd be tempted to let Kopech start the year in the Sox rotation

Kopech's IP: 2015 - 65 , 2016- 78.2. 2017- 119.1

Kopech needs one more season to build up those innings which I'm guessing the 2018 target to be around 160-175. Depending on how many innings Kopech pitches for Charlotte next year, I can see the Sox calling him up in September if he's got some innings to spare.

QUOTE (BamaDoc @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:47 PM)
Did Kopech throw in the instructional league last year? If so it won't be as much of a jump in innings.

In the regular season and AFL last year, Michael Kopech threw 78.2 IP. He is 40 above that right now. He is going to get shutdown very quickly, I'd say one or two more starts at most.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 04:14 PM)
In the regular season and AFL last year, Michael Kopech threw 78.2 IP. He is 40 above that right now. He is going to get shutdown very quickly, I'd say one or two more starts at most.

He only has about 3 starts, maybe 4 at the most this year anyway. My guess is he makes all of them. If his velocity or stuff were suffering they would have shut him down any time now, but he seems to be getting better not worse... so the Sox will let him keep going.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 03:15 PM)
He only has about 3 starts, maybe 4 at the most this year anyway. My guess is he makes all of them. If his velocity or stuff were suffering they would have shut him down any time now, but he seems to be getting better not worse... so the Sox will let him keep going.

I agree^

Let Kopech finish out the season strong with another 3-4 starts and then shut him down until 2018. He has made significant strides this season. 140 innings or so would be a great accomplishment for him at age 21.

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
I think Gio and Kopech are up once the Sox secure the extra year of control. I'd be tempted to let Kopech start the year in the Sox rotation

Ain't gonna happen. I'd be blown away if the Kopech throws a pitch in the majors before next September, and actually surprised if he even pitches for the Sox at all next season. 2019 is the year.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 04:51 PM)
Ain't gonna happen. I'd be blown away if the Kopech throws a pitch in the majors before next September, and actually surprised if he even pitches for the Sox at all next season. 2019 is the year.

Really? I could definitely see him dominating AAA next year (even in that ballpark) and forcing our hand in June/July.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 06:57 PM)
Kopech is the best pitching prospect in baseball, if he's dominant next April & May in AAA, the Sox will have no choice but calling him. And I don't think it's that crazy of an outcome.

It's not. Basically 50/50 that happens. I want to say no way before Super 2, but if he's THAT dominant, to hell with that as well.

QUOTE (Donaldo @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 07:42 PM)
Who will take their place on the W-S roster?

There are plenty of choices at Kannapolis. You could see a Micker Adolfo for one, another option would be Rutherford. Maybe Casey Schroeder for Catcher? There is a jam of catchers at the Rookie ball level that could move up to Kanny.

QUOTE (kingranch @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 12:00 PM)
Kopech should start on the 18th

Thanks, man. I live NW of ATL so BHam is only an hour and a half..two hours from the house. Been wanting to go check out the Barons on a Kopech night but the rest of the roster was never anyone warranting the drive. With Jiminez and Collins up, Kopech night would be great to catch.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 11:13 PM)
Thanks, man. I live NW of ATL so BHam is only an hour and a half..two hours from the house. Been wanting to go check out the Barons on a Kopech night but the rest of the roster was never anyone warranting the drive. With Jiminez and Collins up, Kopech night would be great to catch.

Nice, let us know if you go.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Aug 15, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
I will really enjoy watching the Charlotte rotation next year. Potentially starting the season with a rotation of:

1. Giolito

2. Kopech

3. Stephens

4. Guerrero

5. Adams

I think Adams stays in AA for the start of next season. Also don't think Giolito will be in Charlotte long.

I had Zavala on my midseason list but this is craziness. He went from underrated to overrated pretty quickly. He's 24 years old at High A and there's definite concern that he's not a major league catcher. He can hit but in no universe is he the caliber of prospect that Zack Collins is. These things aren't mutually exclusive. Every time Collins gets mentioned, Zavala doesn't need to be brought up. They will likely share time in Birmingham next year as well.

Slightly off topic, but speaking of Birmingham I just looked over their roster and checked Courtney Hawkins and Keon Barnum's stats. Good lord. I knew they were bad, but jeez.

With Hawkins, is moving him to pitcher a legitimate possibility or are we just gonna leave him in the OF until we're either forced to release him or, by some miracle, he figures it out? If we do try him on the mound, I would think that move would have to be made as soon as this season ends, as he's not getting any younger. I remember reading a speculative article about it on FutureSox awhile back.

Barnum's days as a member of the Sox organization are probably numbered, but he has hit 16 dingers through 82 games during his second try at AA so maybe he can cut down his strikeouts and make more contact, but I doubt it.

Hawkins, Barnum, Keenyn Walker and Jared Mitchell...

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)
I had Zavala on my midseason list but this is craziness. He went from underrated to overrated pretty quickly. He's 24 years old at High A and there's definite concern that he's not a major league catcher. He can hit but in no universe is he the caliber of prospect that Zack Collins is. These things aren't mutually exclusive. Every time Collins gets mentioned, Zavala doesn't need to be brought up. They will likely share time in Birmingham next year as well.

Zavala is 23 actually

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 12:49 PM)

Age is much less important for catchers.