Giolito named starter for Tuesday

Nokona

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 11:22 AM)
No official word, but I think he is here for the rest of 2017 at least.

Sweet. I wonder if they will go to a 6 man rotation then, or have Gio (Or Holland) work out of the pen. I guess it probably depends on Holland's start today.

I like the idea of our future rotation getting to know each other now. With Rodon here, he is essentially leading the pack as far as experience/tenure goes with the Sox, but with him getting to know ReyLo and Gio right now, they can develop that chemistry now instead of later, which is cool. With Kopech at AAA, if he forces the issue next year (which I actually fully expect him to), I wouldn't be surprised to see him come up in June.

I could see a rotation next year in July or August consisting of (in no particular ranking order), Giolito, Rodon, Kopech, Lopez, and Shields. I would actually like to see them sign MiGo to another 1 year deal, and have him be in Kopech's spot, then when Kopech is ready, place MiGo or Shields in the pen. All of this of course depends on injuries and performance.

Coop has got to be ecstatic to work with all of these promising, developing young starting arms, rather than a bunch of solidified vets.

Edited by Scoots

QUOTE (Scoots @ Aug 19, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
With ReyLo hurt that probably means Holland stays as the starter for now. That sucks. How have we been so unlucky with horrible starters? Covey, Shields, Holland, Danks. Probably others. Those last 3 actually were considered aces at one point in their careers.

Danks was unlucky. Shields was majorly trending downward and Holland was a injured reclamation project, no unluckiness there.

To anyone who didn't watch the game:

The box score says 4 earned runs, but 3 of them were truly earned. One was due to Leury failing to catch a ball that was literally hit right at him and then not ruled an error because there was no catch attempt.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 10:40 PM)
To anyone who didn't watch the game:

The box score says 4 earned runs, but 3 of them were truly earned. One was due to Leury failing to catch a ball that was literally hit right at him and then not ruled an error because there was no catch attempt.

No walks in his first start is good. 3 home-runs is bad.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 08:06 AM)
No walks in his first start is good. 3 home-runs is bad.

I know it. I thought he should have pitched a no hitter. To me, the home runs are of no concern and will be cleaned up as he learns the mental side of pitching at the big league level. The command was impressive and he has good stuff. This kid will be a solid middle rotation starter down the road, at worst a lower end rotation starter, which will probably mean a deep rotation.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:24 AM)
The homers were also a result of him having virtually no off speed stuff last night.

Defintiely agreed - he was able to get through 6 innings relying on basically one pitch which is impressive to me but also was expected. Did anyone think the fastball had a little run to it (away from lefties, into a righty)? It didn't seem completely straight as opposed to Fulmer's the other night. I thought the fastball location to the lefties was above average for most of the night - he was able to get inside quite often.

Also - anyone know how many swinging strikes he generated? I'm assuming low since he was only throwing the fastball with a little bit of the change.

QUOTE (pablo @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 10:59 AM)
Defintiely agreed - he was able to get through 6 innings relying on basically one pitch which is impressive to me but also was expected. Did anyone think the fastball had a little run to it (away from lefties, into a righty)? It didn't seem completely straight as opposed to Fulmer's the other night. I thought the fastball location to the lefties was above average for most of the night - he was able to get inside quite often.

Also - anyone know how many swinging strikes he generated? I'm assuming low since he was only throwing the fastball with a little bit of the change.

Since he only threw one game, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out but I am confused which stat and which site tracks this.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

ARe the swing % what we are looking for?

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
Since he only threw one game, it shouldn't be that hard to figure out but I am confused which stat and which site tracks this.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playe...&position=P

ARe the swing % what we are looking for?

It's SwStr% under the Plate Discipline tab and at the far right. Yesterday it was at 10.1% for Giolito, league average this year is 10.4%.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
It's SwStr% under the Plate Discipline tab and at the far right. Yesterday it was at 10.1% for Giolito, league average this year is 10.4%.

Good stuff. Obvious improvement from early in the year where he could go 3-4 innings with only 1-2 swinging strikes.

But he really needs to get offspeed stuff going or change speeds a lot more with the fastball.

QUOTE (bmags @ Aug 23, 2017 -> 11:32 AM)
Good stuff. Obvious improvement from early in the year where he could go 3-4 innings with only 1-2 swinging strikes.

But he really needs to get offspeed stuff going or change speeds a lot more with the fastball.

I have no idea what the game plan was against the Twins. He threw very few curves when it seemed like he should throw more to see if he could get a feel for it. Could be the game plan was to use the fastball quite a bit. stay ahead of the hitters and keep walk totals down. All three HR's came on fastballs.

I think it was a very impressive start. game-wise and career-wise. But when you are used to Holmberg, Holland, Shields and Pelfrey just about anyone who goes 6 innings seems impressive.

Giolito became the first White Sox pitcher to not walk a batter and go six or more innings in his team debut since Orlando Hernandez on April 8, 2005 against the Twins per whitesox.com