8-16 Games

joejoedairy

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 05:55 PM)
I think he's a better prospect right now than Moncada ever has been.

There, I said it.

I agree. He is more complete. More raw in the sense of distance to bigs still, but seems more likely a guy who won't strike out 30% of his at bats. Then again, we all know how anti strikeout I am. None of this is based upon Yoan's current production...I don't overlook a few weeks experience (for a guy who is raw and needs to make certain adjustments).

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Moncada has Rickey Henderson lite potential. He'll never steal as many bases, but Rickey Henderson is the 2nd best baseball player I've ever seen.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:17 AM)
That makes me want to comp Moncada to Tim Raines, the original Henderson lite.

Yeah, I don't think he will ever really have 40 homer power, but I think he will have some pop (maybe 20-25 homers on a season to season basis) but he is going to turn groundballs into singles, singles into doubles, and doubles into triples. If they let him run, he can be Henderson or Raines disruptive to a defense.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 08:20 AM)
Yeah, I don't think he will ever really have 40 homer power, but I think he will have some pop (maybe 20-25 homers on a season to season basis) but he is going to turn groundballs into singles, singles into doubles, and doubles into triples. If they let him run, he can be Henderson or Raines disruptive to a defense.

To turn ground balls into singles...you need to make contact. Not saying he won't learn, but a 25-30% k-rate for him would not be an effective use of his speed.

I wouldn't put Eloy above Moncada. A corner outfielder with average speed and likely average at best defense vs. a middle infielder with 5 tools? I think Eloy will be a beast at the plate but Moncada just has the capability to provide value in so many other ways.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)
I wouldn't put Eloy above Moncada. A corner outfielder with average speed and likely average at best defense vs. a middle infielder with 5 tools? I think Eloy will be a beast at the plate but Moncada just has the capability to provide value in so many other ways.

That is missing a guy who has 40 homer and 40 double potential, plus seems to have a feel for hitting for average at the same time. He makes contact, and has a K rate in the 20% range so far this season.

It is a tough call. I think that Moncada has a higher ceiling because of his speed, but I think Eloy is much closer to his ceiling. If I had to bet on it, I would guess that Moncada may have a path that more resembles Avi's while Eloy could be a guy who could hit more like Bryant and hit from day one.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 10:07 AM)
That is missing a guy who has 40 homer and 40 double potential, plus seems to have a feel for hitting for average at the same time. He makes contact, and has a K rate in the 20% range so far this season.

It is a tough call. I think that Moncada has a higher ceiling because of his speed, but I think Eloy is much closer to his ceiling. If I had to bet on it, I would guess that Moncada may have a path that more resembles Avi's while Eloy could be a guy who could hit more like Bryant and hit from day one.

I can't put Moncada and Avi in the same sentence, because Avi has zero OBP skills, while Moncada has ability to have elite OBP skills. Reality is, Moncada should be good (even with a high k-rate)...however, if he gets his k-rate in check (and presumingly as a result hits the ball with solid / strong contact on a regular basis, while leveraging his power tools, etc), we are talking about someone who can be elite. Jimenez has elite skills as well...more raw in the sense that he needs to prove himself at higher levels...but someone who has proven more from an ability to reduce k's, etc.

I continue to say, it is very very difficult to be a very good offensive player if you strike out a lot. Similarly, if you can't draw walks at all, your ability to be well above average offensively is also limited. The nice thing about quite a few of the newcomers to the Sox system is they have demonstrated strong walk abilities (which can be hard to teach) but most do have the flaw of high k-rate's. That said, you can hope with time/development, you can see improvements to those factors on the down-side and potentially more noticeable improvements. I continue to be of the believe that advanced stats don't accurately account/negate for the strikeout.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:23 PM)
I can't put Moncada and Avi in the same sentence, because Avi has zero OBP skills, while Moncada has ability to have elite OBP skills. Reality is, Moncada should be good (even with a high k-rate)...however, if he gets his k-rate in check (and presumingly as a result hits the ball with solid / strong contact on a regular basis, while leveraging his power tools, etc), we are talking about someone who can be elite. Jimenez has elite skills as well...more raw in the sense that he needs to prove himself at higher levels...but someone who has proven more from an ability to reduce k's, etc.

I continue to say, it is very very difficult to be a very good offensive player if you strike out a lot. Similarly, if you can't draw walks at all, your ability to be well above average offensively is also limited. The nice thing about quite a few of the newcomers to the Sox system is they have demonstrated strong walk abilities (which can be hard to teach) but most do have the flaw of high k-rate's. That said, you can hope with time/development, you can see improvements to those factors on the down-side and potentially more noticeable improvements. I continue to be of the believe that advanced stats don't accurately account/negate for the strikeout.

The comp isn't in terms of talent or style. The comp is in terms of time to develop. Moncada is still really raw.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 11:39 AM)

I've been saying it for a while, I think Eloy is he safest prospect in this organization. I have a hard time seeing him not put up Nelson Cruz (the younger version) type numbers.

While Moncada has a spacious ceiling and could be a Robbie Cano or Tim Raines, he's just as likely to be come a Jurrickson Profar or Byron Buxton. I would be Eloy over Moncada in my list.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
I've been saying it for a while, I think Eloy is he safest prospect in this organization. I have a hard time seeing him not put up Nelson Cruz (the younger version) type numbers.

While Moncada has a spacious ceiling and could be a Robbie Cano or Tim Raines, he's just as likely to be come a Jurrickson Profar or Byron Buxton. I would be Eloy over Moncada in my list.

safest as in becoming a star MLB player? safest as becoming average player?

How would you rank Kopech? Safe as in a starting pitcher? Or just as a solid pitcher (relief or starter)?

I would say with the adjustments he has made in the second half that he will be a pretty good pitcher. Now whether he is a starter or shut down pitcher in bullpen I am not sure

QUOTE (kingranch @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)

How would you rank Kopech? Safe as in a starting pitcher? Or just as a solid pitcher (relief or starter)?

I would say with the adjustments he has made in the second half that he will be a pretty good pitcher. Now whether he is a starter or shut down pitcher in bullpen I am not sure

Prior to the last month I held a greater level of fears that Kopech could crater at the upper levels because of a lack of control much like Tyler Glasnow did. It is darned near impossible to survive in MLB if you are walking 5 guys per 9 innings. Off of the top of my head I can think of young Nolan Ryan and young Randy Johnson. What really moved them to the next level was even mediocre control. Now if Kopech's recent flirtation with control is a real thing, that totally changes his profile going forward. You can't deny the arm, but if you can't throw strikes, it is really hard to succeed at the major league level.

QUOTE (kingranch @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 02:51 PM)

Safest as in the highest floor, and I think his floor is league average RF, obviously it's a lot higher if his hitting catches up to his power.

Kopech is having a great stretch no doubt, but I like to see him keep this up for a bit longer before I fully by into it. If he can sustain his improved control, his floor would be a solid mid rotation starter. And what's separating his floor and ceiling is command of his pitches.