Which team lands Gonzalez?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which team lands Gonzalez?

• Milwaukee
    • Colorado
    • Baltimore
    • Seattle
    • Other

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 12:32 PM)
Wow, really? I'm surprised that it would require that much. That hurts. Maybe a qualifying offer isn't such a good idea, after all. I wonder if that isn't negatively affecting

any current trade negotiations.

Why would it hurt trade negotiations? No one would ever consider giving him a QO so it's a non-issue.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 11:44 AM)
Why would it hurt trade negotiations? No one would ever consider giving him a QO so it's a non-issue.

If a team is considering their options, once the season is over, it might diminish his perceived value to them, in that they would not get a draft pick, unless they were willing to make that kind of qualifying offer. So, it means they would receive no additional value, beyond his contribution, during the next month and a half. Is that not a valid consideration? I don't know.

A player is only eligible for a qualifying offer if they remain with 1 team the entire season. Once they are traded, they are no longer eligible for the offer. This does not affect Gonzalez's trade value one bit.

Frankly, Miguel Gonzalez is likely a 5th starter at best, and the Sox just haven't gotten the offer they want yet. There's no rush. He just has to be gone by midnight on August 31st, which means he must be traded on or prior to August 30th. If he is traded on August 31st, he is not eligible for the postseason, which doesn't mean he can't be traded, but it would greatly diminish the need for a team to trade for him, and greatly diminishes his overall value.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/pos...son-eligibility

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
A player is only eligible for a qualifying offer if they remain with 1 team the entire season. Once they are traded, they are no longer eligible for the offer. This does not affect Gonzalez's trade value one bit.

Frankly, Miguel Gonzalez is likely a 5th starter at best, and the Sox just haven't gotten the offer they want yet. There's no rush. He just has to be gone by midnight on August 31st, which means he must be traded on or prior to August 30th. If he is traded on August 31st, he is not eligible for the postseason, which doesn't mean he can't be traded, but it would greatly diminish the need for a team to trade for him, and greatly diminishes his overall value.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/pos...son-eligibility

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that.

Since coming off the DL, he has held the opposition to 1 or fewer earned runs in 5 of the 8 starts, while going at least 6 innings, in all but one of those games.

Only one of those 8 starts was not a "quality start".

Wouldn't you think that someone could really use him, for the stretch run? We may be surprised at how good of a return the Sox get for him, if he is traded before the 31ST.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 26, 2017 -> 01:01 PM)
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know that.

Since coming off the DL, he has held the opposition to 1 or fewer earned runs in 5 of the 8 starts, while going at least 6 innings, in all but one of those games.

Only one of those 8 starts was not a "quality start".

Wouldn't you think that someone could really use him, for the stretch run? We may be surprised at how good of a return the Sox get for him, if he is traded before the 31ST.

I think they'll get something for him, probably a PTBNL or cash.

I don't think he's particularly great, but he's certainly better than some pitchers on wild card contending rotations...and he's currently pitching a lot better than that.

All I can figure is that Hahn wants something of legit value for him - a reasonable "lottery ticket"...and I agree with Hahn on that.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
It would be cool if he puts up 6-7 good innings tomorrow afternoon, and gets traded before they fly back to Chicago.

To be eligible for the postseason, trades have to be completed by 11pm central tomorrow night.

It's possible a team could trade for him without actually wanting to use him in the playoffs. If he's an improvement over a team's 5th starter, you still want him to take the ball every 5 days until the post-season. 5th starters in the playoffs are likely in the pen or left off the roster completely.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 08:05 AM)
I don't think he's particularly great, but he's certainly better than some pitchers on wild card contending rotations...and he's currently pitching a lot better than that.

All I can figure is that Hahn wants something of legit value for him - a reasonable "lottery ticket"...and I agree with Hahn on that.

Yes, and, like many decisions/negotiations, things tend to happen at the last minute. In this case, that's tonight.