23 members have voted

1. 1. Which team lands Gonzalez?

• Milwaukee
    • Colorado
    • Baltimore
    • Seattle
    • Other

QUOTE (Dunt @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
No chance in hell you are not a troll. Gio up in September? What the f*** are you even talking about?

I have my opinions; you have yours.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
If you would have told me months ago that we would have traded Gonzalez for a former second round pick (still 20-years old), I would have taken that every day of the week.

It's time to develop some of these high round draft picks who look like busts. Sox have done it with pitchers. Why not spend a few bucks and get the best hitting version of Coop and sign him up? Hahn's career is on the line if this all doesn't work out so you'd think he'd improve our minor league instructors.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

It's time to develop some of these high round draft picks who look like busts. Sox have done it with pitchers. Why not spend a few bucks and get the best hitting version of Coop and sign him up? Hahn's career is on the line if this all doesn't work out so you'd think he'd improve our minor league instructors.

Didn't they just do exactly this over the past year or so?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 12:40 PM)

greg I love ya buddy but Gio is up already up and in the rotation there is no opinion in that.

Look for Crete to beat Brother Rice tonight btw.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 12:44 PM)

Yep. But you have to follow the minor leagues in order to know this privileged information that lies hidden within thy tinfoil hat. Trust in the foil and it will set your ancient baseball knowledge free!!! Wooooooo.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)

I hope the guys they got are the best.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 07:14 PM)
greg I love ya buddy but Gio is up already up and in the rotation there is no opinion in that.

Look for Crete to beat Brother Rice tonight btw.

I thought Gio's was just a late season reward/look. If we have he and Rodon for sure in the rotation next year and if Lopez is in the rotation, for their sake I hope they speed up the rebuild. I don't care what anybody says. Pitchers failing at any point of their careers is not necessarily healthy.

I hate to over-react about Rice but didn't like what I saw vs. Marist. Now that's a first game and all that. Maybe that junior QB is going to be great. By no means am I burying a high school kid after one start. I'd move the senior QB to RB or defense and simplify the offense and see if some of the new skill players can develop. I would think Rice will come out fired up beyond belief vs. Crete wanting to not go 0-2. I'd think they will show considerable improvement with a whole new cast of characters this year trying to run the dreaded spread.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)
I hope the guys they got are the best.

I thought Gio's was just a late season reward/look. If we have he and Rodon for sure in the rotation next year and if Lopez is in the rotation, for their sake I hope they speed up the rebuild. I don't care what anybody says. Pitchers failing at any point of their careers is not necessarily healthy.

I hate to over-react about Rice but didn't like what I saw vs. Marist. Now that's a first game and all that. Maybe that junior QB is going to be great. By no means am I burying a high school kid after one start. I'd move the senior QB to RB or defense and simplify the offense and see if some of the new skill players can develop. I would think Rice will come out fired up beyond belief vs. Crete wanting to not go 0-2.

Now you've completely lost it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 01:52 PM)

It would be silly to "accelerate" the rebuild as you say, which I assume you are implying as bringing in multiple free agents, when the guys in the rotation haven't proven anything. Giolito appears to be a guy who is going to be maddeningly inconsistent for at least the first part of his career, and that may never change. He has absolutely wicked stuff, but his command is very, very off right now, and every player in the major leagues will be able to hit a fastball at 95 MPH if it's up and over the plate, every player can hit a hanging curve, every player can hit a hanging slider, and every player can hit an elevated changeup.

Let these guys work and get better next season, and then maybe in 2019 you start looking for reinforcements on the free agent and trade markets.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 04:47 PM)
It would be silly to "accelerate" the rebuild as you say, which I assume you are implying as bringing in multiple free agents, when the guys in the rotation haven't proven anything. Giolito appears to be a guy who is going to be maddeningly inconsistent for at least the first part of his career, and that may never change. He has absolutely wicked stuff, but his command is very, very off right now, and every player in the major leagues will be able to hit a fastball at 95 MPH if it's up and over the plate, every player can hit a hanging curve, every player can hit a hanging slider, and every player can hit an elevated changeup.

Let these guys work and get better next season, and then maybe in 2019 you start looking for reinforcements on the free agent and trade markets.

No one should be surprised if Giolito takes the Gavin Floyd route as a starter.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 08:26 PM)
I'd be thrilled if the Sox get a Gavin Floyd 2.0 - he was extremely reliable for the Sox.

In retrospect you can say that. Floyd was somewhat of a whipping boy here on Soxtalk but maybe I am only remembering later in his career. I seem to recall some " deer in the headlights" comparisons with him. Perhaps if he was better looking .... :P

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 10:33 PM)
In retrospect you can say that. Floyd was somewhat of a whipping boy here on Soxtalk but maybe I am only remembering later in his career. I seem to recall some " deer in the headlights" comparisons with him. Perhaps if he was better looking .... :P

He was much more appreciated once he left...

Without mentioning names...when he came up there were some "I could hit Gavin Floyd!" posts. He then dropped a dominant season the next year and was key to us making the playoffs.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 1, 2017 -> 10:36 PM)
Without mentioning names...when he came up there were some "I could hit Gavin Floyd!" posts. He then dropped a dominant season the next year and was key to us making the playoffs.

Not to mention the "I won't post on Soxtalk anymore if..." post.

I don't think the return is that good but then again there wasn't really a market for Gonzalez. At least the guy has physical tools evidenced by his second round selection even though he has not hit in pro ball.

Still I don't expect him to make the majors, his k to bb rate is really bad and while he has some raw pop it hasn't translated to game power.

Problem is is that he hits too many grounders (50%), he needs to elevate more to maybe become a poor mans roughned odor.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 2, 2017 -> 09:36 AM)
I don't think the return is that good but then again there wasn't really a market for Gonzalez. At least the guy has physical tools evidenced by his second round selection even though he has not hit in pro ball.

Still I don't expect him to make the majors, his k to bb rate is really bad and while he has some raw pop it hasn't translated to game power.

Problem is is that he hits too many grounders (50%), he needs to elevate more to maybe become a poor mans roughned odor.

I also have my doubts but what's a month of MiGo really worth? Worth taking a shot on a toolsy project, can't fleece every team like Hahn did for Jennings or Swarzak

I'll be the first to admit I was a hard on Floyd. He got a lot of undeserved criticism thrown his way.