8/16 Sox @ Dodgers

LittleHurt05

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 05:34 AM)
ok...this right handed Moncada needs to go....enough already.

Absolutely terrible swings as a righty. He just looks bad overall at the plate and keeps falling behind in the count. Frustrating after he seemed to be adjusting well.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:34 PM)
ok...this right handed Moncada needs to go....enough already.

I'd give him more than a month before writing him off from the right side. You got to give him the chance to actually make some adjustments. And as someone else mentioned, it's unlikely he's going to be any better against LHP batting lefty.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 04:39 AM)
Ugh. I really wanted Benintendi from the BoSox and I have never seen what makes Moncada so exciting for people. That k-rate is ugly. 28% at AAA, 37% up here? Good luck, kid, but that won't work.

Boston wasn't trading him

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:41 PM)
Boston wasn't trading him

Then we should have looked elsewhere. I just don't know how, in the 2017 draft, we seized on this idea of low-K types, but less than a year earlier, when making the most important trade in recent history, we ignored that aspect when choosing our top prize.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)
Then we should have looked elsewhere. I just don't know how, in the 2017 draft, we seized on this idea of low-K types, but less than a year earlier, when making the most important trade in recent history, we ignored that aspect when choosing our top prize.

If you'd rather have Robles and Giolito than Moncada and Kopech then I don't know what to tell you. Nobody else was ponying up anything that good for Sale.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:39 PM)
Ugh. I really wanted Benintendi from the BoSox and I have never seen what makes Moncada so exciting for people. That k-rate is ugly. 28% at AAA, 37% up here? Good luck, kid, but that won't work.

You've never seen what makes Moncada so exciting? Five tools with a plus batter's eye isn't exciting? wRC+ of 156 & 152 in high A & AA as a 21 year old isn't exiting? 45 stolen last year isn't exciting?

I swear some of you guys have the patience of a three year old. Dude was almost universally considered a top two prospect for good reason and that's because he has the talent to be a top two or three player in baseball. Whether he gets there, who knows, but people need to stop jumping to ridiculous conclusions a month into his professional career. Most young players don't come up and dominate from the get-go. If you can't accept there is a learning curve, do yourself a favor and come back a year from now when the worst is finally behind him.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:48 PM)
If you'd rather have Robles and Giolito than Moncada and Kopech then I don't know what to tell you. Nobody else was ponying up anything that good for Sale.

I suppose that's the tricky part. If we do Sale for Robles, Giolito ++, where do we deal Eaton? Also, we constantly talk about Yoan being the best prospect in baseball, but if Dombrowski was only willing to trade him and not Devers/Benintendi, shouldn't that tell us something? It's not like we're the first to point out his shoddy contact rate.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:51 PM)
You've never seen what makes Moncada so exciting? Five tools with a plus batter's eye isn't exciting? wRC+ of 156 & 152 in high A & AA as a 21 year old isn't exiting? 45 stolen last year isn't exciting?

I swear some of you guys have the patience of a three year old. Dude was almost universally considered a top two prospect for good reason and that's because he has the talent to be a top two or three player in baseball. Whether he gets there, who knows, but people need to stop jumping to ridiculous conclusions a month into his professional career. Most young players don't come up and dominate from the get-go. If you can't accept there is a learning curve, do yourself a favor and come back a year from now when the worst is finally behind him.

For me, he passes the eye test. You can see the mountain of talent he possesses. He's only 22, so as I think you correctly assert, it's only a matter of time with Yoan.

QUOTE (StrykerSox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:46 PM)

By this logic, I guess you wouldn't have wanted Kris Bryant a few years back as he K'd 28.6% of the time in AAA. Funny how that's gone down in the majors. Maybe because he has elite bat speed & a great batter's eye and he's been able to make the necessary adjustments.

Moncada's K rate was 28.3% in AAA this year. He's got tremendous bat speed & a plus batter's eye. He's a special f***ing talent just like Bryant and your view on him is simply short-sighted & lazy.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 10:51 PM)

I'm gonna be honest- I have no idea what wRC+ is. I also don't care.

You like peripherals? Try this one. 22% K rate at A in 2015. 25% at A+, AA in 2016, 28% at AAA in 2017.

I can understand Blake Rutherford might need to fill in his boots a bit to reach his full power potential. I can understand that Zach Collins has been focusing on his D and his bat is still pretty advanced, stats be damned. I can be plenty patient with the young ones. But I don't see how a guy who has had serious contact issues his entire career will suddenly fix them to be a decent ball player.

And Dombrowski still kept Devers and Benintendi and traded Moncada. Why would one of the game's best GMs be so certain as to which highly touted prospect to trade?

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 17, 2017 -> 12:06 AM)
Petricka is just ungodly bad. Rather see Fulmer out of the pen

With Rodon, Lopez, Hansen, Dunning, Giolito, Kopech, Stephens, Guerrero, whoever else I'm forgetting, a potential FA signing, etc, chances are we'll be fine finding 5 starters. We might as well convert him to a reliever soon where I think he can be excellent.

QUOTE (Thad Bosley @ Aug 16, 2017 -> 11:54 PM)
For me, he passes the eye test. You can see the mountain of talent he possesses. He's only 22, so as I think you correctly assert, it's only a matter of time with Yoan.

Exactly. These at-bats against LHP have been ugly, but that's not uncommon for a young player, especially now the scouting reports are out on him. Like all players, he'll have to make adjustments and I see absolutely no reason why he won't make those. People need to remember that he was completely rushed to the majors because was able to be productive despite his strikeout issues. It may take a year, it may take two, but the dude will develop into a quality big league hitter. Whether he fulfills his potential of "Robinson Cano with more speed" remains to be seen, but he's far too talented believe he won't get a helluva lot better in the coming years.