Rotation: Shields, Lopez, Giolito, VET FA

Bench: C Narvaez, 1B/3B/SS/LF/RF Cordell, INF Saladino, OF Willy Garcia

Next Guys Up: 2B/3B/LF Peter, Utility Hanson, P Fulmer, OF Liriano, P Danish

'Pen: Jones, Petricka, Putnam, Bummer, Minaya, Purke, Clarke

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 11:27 AM)
CF Leury

2B Moncada

RF Avi

1B Abreu

LF Delmonico

DH Davidson

SS Anderson

C Smith

3B Sanchez

P Rodon

This is probably as realistic as it gets

CF - L. Garcia

2B - Moncada

1B - Abreu

RF - A. Garcia

DH - Delmonico

3B - Davidson

LF - Cordell

C - Iannetta

SS - Anderson

BE - Narvaez, Sanchez, Engel, Hanson/ W. Garcia

SP - Rodon, Shields, Giolito, Lopez, Free Agent to flip when Kopech comes up

RP - Jones, McGee, Putnam, Petricka, Minaya, Infante, Bummer

I would try signing Jake McGee to a 3 year contract since the Sox dont have a shutdown lefty in the pen and see if they can get Iannetta for one season. He's currently 12th in framing, been solid defensively, has a .343 wOBA, and could bring a veteran presence for the young guys to work with. Ideally the FA SP they get would be a lefty, but I'd just look for someone you could flip at the deadline once Kopech is ready. The bench allows for a lot of versatility in the lineup with Narvaez and Sanchez hitting lefty.

QUOTE (Dunt @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
CF - L. Garcia

2B - Moncada

1B - Abreu

RF - A. Garcia

DH - Delmonico

3B - Davidson

LF - Cordell

C - Iannetta

SS - Anderson

BE - Narvaez, Sanchez, Engel, Hanson/ W. Garcia

SP - Rodon, Shields, Giolito, Lopez, Free Agent to flip when Kopech comes up

RP - Jones, McGee, Putnam, Petricka, Minaya, Infante, Bummer

I would try signing Jake McGee to a 3 year contract since the Sox dont have a shutdown lefty in the pen and see if they can get Iannetta for one season. He's currently 12th in framing, been solid defensively, has a .343 wOBA, and could bring a veteran presence for the young guys to work with. Ideally the FA SP they get would be a lefty, but I'd just look for someone you could flip at the deadline once Kopech is ready. The bench allows for a lot of versatility in the lineup with Narvaez and Sanchez hitting lefty.

Putnam is already going to miss most (if not all) of next season.

What do you think of Moncada leading off? After watching him run the bases, I'm beginning to think of him as potentially the most dynamic lead off hitter, since Ricky Henderson. As I posted the other day, he has a good eye and sees a lot of pitches. I'd rather not saddle him with the extra burden of having to hit in the #2 hole.

Just let him concentrate on getting on and then turn him loose.

Versus RHP

2B - Moncada

RF - A. Garcia

1B - Abreu

DH - Delmonico

3B - Davidson

LF - Cordell

CF - L. Garcia

C - Narvaez/Smith

SS - Anderson

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
CF Leury

2B Moncada

RF Avi

1B Abreu

LF Delmonico

DH Davidson

SS Anderson

C Smith

3B Sanchez

P Rodon

Some of these guys like Willy, Saladino, Hanson, Smith won't survive a 40 man pair down. I'd be pretty surprised if one of the four isn't DFA.

Otherwise, that lineup looks good just replace Davidson with The bessssssssss in July.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 01:03 PM)
What do you think of Moncada leading off? After watching him run the bases, I'm beginning to think of him as potentially the most dynamic lead off hitter, since Ricky Henderson. As I posted the other day, he has a good eye and sees a lot of pitches. I'd rather not saddle him with the extra burden of having to hit in the #2 hole.

Just let him concentrate on getting on and then turn him loose.

Versus RHP

2B - Moncada

RF - A. Garcia

1B - Abreu

DH - Delmonico

3B - Davidson

LF - Cordell

CF - L. Garcia

C - Narvaez/Smith

SS - Anderson

I wouldn't mind him hitting leadoff not because of "lead-off skills" or anything like that, but more because I want him getting as many PA's as possible.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
Some of these guys like Willy, Saladino, Hanson, Smith won't survive a 40 man pair down. I'd be pretty surprised if one of the four isn't DFA.

Otherwise, that lineup looks good just replace Davidson with The bessssssssss in July.

There really isn't going to be a 40 man roster crunch. All of those guys sans Hanson should be safe (assuming Willy has an option left). The Sox are going to have around ten 40 man spots to play with between FA, Rule 5 additions (both internal and external) and any trade acquisitions. And Avi and Abreu are really the only guys on the roster that are tradeable that would bring back assets that would need to be protected.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
There really isn't going to be a 40 man roster crunch. All of those guys sans Hanson should be safe (assuming Willy has an option left). The Sox are going to have around ten 40 man spots to play with between FA, Rule 5 additions (both internal and external) and any trade acquisitions. And Avi and Abreu are really the only guys on the roster that are tradeable that would bring back assets that would need to be protected.

Larry on SSS did a good break down and there will be a crunch.

https://www.southsidesox.com/2017/8/18/1615...coming-whitesox

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Aug 20, 2017 -> 06:01 PM)
Gonzalez pitched a good game for the win today. This will probably be his last start in a White Sox uniform. I thought we would get at least 2 more starts from him before the August 31 deadline. Now that Lester is on the Cubs DL , I figure Hahn will trade Gonzalez to his life long favorite team the Cubs. Older fans remember when Arnold Johnson owned the Kansas City As he traded numerous of his best players to the Yankees. It went on for years. It helped the Yankees maintain their dynasty in the 1950s and 1960s. I can't help but wonder if we're going to see the same type of situation with the Cubs and Hahn. He recently traded Quintana which should help them the next few years getting into the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gonzalez go the Cubs either.

He'll probably take on that Heyward contract too, which you know will inhibit the Cubs from making other moves in the future. Take Heyward for Gonzalez and suddenly the Cubs have the depth in the rotation and have room in the budget this offseason to sign another guy. It doesn't matter if they screw it up because they know they have a guy in Hahn to take on any bad contract for them while giving them a quality player.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)

Yah, I've read it. I still don't think there will be a crunch. The Sox 40 man roster will be at 35 after the season and removal of impending FAs. Then the Sox have their pick of whomever they want to cut from the last list of bullets in Larry's article - my guess is Alfredo Gonzalez, Jacob May, Alen Hanson, Greg Infante, Petricka are all removed from the 40 man. That gets you down to 29. Cordell is already on the 40 man and included in my numbers.

Add Liriano, Gillaspie, Peter, Fry, Guerrero, and Jimenez and you still have 5 spots left on the 40 to play with.

Some dudes are going to get cut from the 40 man, but the Sox aren't going to be cutting legitimate assets to make room on the 40, and that is what I consider to be a true 40 man crunch.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 01:31 PM)

It is a stretch to call this a "crunch". There aren't a whole of players who are really going to harm us if they aren't the 40 man roster. I get some players have to be added, but there is plenty of room to carve off chaff. A good chunk of that bullpen is going to be erased, for good reason. Do you see Danny Farquar holding down a roster spot? Anyone really worried about a team claiming Tyler Danish? Greg Infante? I'd put money on Putnam being a non-tender with his injury and arb standing.

There are also a few position players would will be carved off of the roster as well. I am going to bet that one of Hanson or Peterson isn't on the 40 man come winter. Alfredo Gonzalez is Spanish for unemployed come December. The OF is probably also one OF heavier than it needs to be, especially if Avi comes back next year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
It is a stretch to call this a "crunch". There aren't a whole of players who are really going to harm us if they aren't the 40 man roster. I get some players have to be added, but there is plenty of room to carve off chaff. A good chunk of that bullpen is going to be erased, for good reason. Do you see Danny Farquar holding down a roster spot? Anyone really worried about a team claiming Tyler Danish? Greg Infante? I'd put money on Putnam being a non-tender with his injury and arb standing.

There are also a few position players would will be carved off of the roster as well. I am going to bet that one of Hanson or Peterson isn't on the 40 man come winter. Alfredo Gonzalez is Spanish for unemployed come December. The OF is probably also one OF heavier than it needs to be, especially if Avi comes back next year.

I laughed. :hawk:

I really like the idea of signing Chris Iannetta as a mentor and someone who can frame for these young pitchers.

DH - Gillaspie#

C - Iannetta - FA

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada#

SS - Anderson

3B - Davidson

LF - Delmonico*

CF - Garcia#

RF - Engel

SP - Rodon*

SP - Lopez

SP - Giolito

SP - Chatwood / Santiago* / Tillman - FA

SP - Shields

C - Narvaez*

UT - Sanchez#

UT - Peter*

OF - Garcia / Cordell / Tilson

CL - Jones

SU - FA

SU - Bummer*

MR - Clark*

MR - Rule V

LO - Fry*

LR - Danish

Trade Avisail.

QUOTE (beautox @ Aug 24, 2017 -> 03:23 PM)
I really like the idea of signing Chris Iannetta as a mentor and someone who can frame for these young pitchers.

DH - Gillaspie#

C - Iannetta - FA

1B - Abreu

2B - Moncada#

SS - Anderson

3B - Davidson

LF - Delmonico*

CF - Garcia#

RF - Engel

SP - Rodon*

SP - Lopez

SP - Giolito

SP - Chatwood / Santiago* / Tillman - FA

SP - Shields

C - Narvaez*

UT - Sanchez#

UT - Peter*

OF - Garcia / Cordell / Tilson

CL - Jones

SU - FA

SU - Bummer*

MR - Clark*

MR - Rule V

LO - Fry*

LR - Danish

Trade Avisail.

Two major issues with the above. Engel doesn't have the arm for RF and I'm not sure what Gillaspie has done to deserve a starting spot on the major league roster. I'd start Cordell & Willy over both of them.