8/21/2017 Twins @ White Sox

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 02:53 AM)
Whichever scout recommended Fulmer should be put on notice, if not fired now. he does not have major league quality stuff.

He did at Vandy. Doesn't come close to resembling that guy now

QUOTE (harkness @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:50 PM)
an unfortunate example of how prospects are just prospects.... and draft picks.. well yeah...

Can't do a thing when you've been rushed. Seen some interesting prospects bust out because of that unfortunately.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:53 PM)
Whichever scout recommended Fulmer should be put on notice, if not fired now. he does not have major league quality stuff.

I think it was a "draft by need" and not a "draft best available" type of pick

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 01:59 AM)
Ian Happ would look good in our system/in our lineup right now.

Thank god for those two extra wins that prevented Sox from getting who they wanted

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
He did at Vandy. Doesn't come close to resembling that guy now

What happened to him? I don't recall any serious injuries he's suffered. Given the Sox decent success the last couple of years with pitching prospects in ml, I don't buy that they ruined his mechanics. May just come down to confidence....we rushed him up far too soon after being drafted and he got knocked around a good bit.

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 03:00 AM)
What happened to him? I don't recall any serious injuries he's suffered. Given the Sox decent success the last couple of years with pitching prospects in ml, I don't buy that they ruined his mechanics. May just come down to confidence....we rushed him up far too soon after being drafted and he got knocked around a good bit.

Mechanics are way different than at Vandy

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 08:59 PM)
Ian Happ would look good in our system/in our lineup right now.

Water under the bridge. They just have to more correctly scout how going from 6 days rest to 4 will affect a guy's stuff. Easier said than done though.

Edited by Jack Parkman

I think you first must decide as an organization what and where you think he needs to be. Second, I don't think you can convert him unless he buys into the move. They really need to spend this off season going over his Vandy tape and seeing if something is different. Heck is it possible offseason to have an old pitching coach work with him in conjunction with Coop. I can remember Frank Thomas getting in a funk and getting former coaches to help Hriniak/Lau. We aren't contending next year and Fulmer holds a lot more value if you can get him back to starting effectively. The same holds for Giolitti if he comes up and struggles, we still have all of next year and maybe more for them to get "it". I completely agree with posters thinking he was a need and rush pick. We did him no favors so I feel like cutting him some slack.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 03:01 AM)
I like the Hayes discussion about Collins. Next year will be huge for him with an adjusted swing.

Everyone should listen to south side Sox podcast with the baseball prospectus writer on it. Some good insight in Collins and others.