8/21/2017 Twins @ White Sox

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:01 PM)
Mechanics are way different than at Vandy

And they completely crippled his development when they were trying to win now. We got a bit lucky with Rodon (although it took him a couple of years to really figure it out). I am still stunned they started him in AAA this year.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fulmers stuff is as underwhelming as everyone has been saying, converting him to a reliever will not work. You still need at least 1 good pitch to possibly be a quality reliever. At this point, the Sox and Carson just need to stick their noses to the grindstone and try to get his stuff back to where it was when they drafted him. It sucks to see him struggle so much being that he's one of our first rounders, but you can't give up now and the Sox need to find a way to keep this kid confident in himself as his struggles continue. Sadly, I can't see him being very confident right now, so I hope the Sox can help him as much as possible over the offseason to find his "stuff".

QUOTE (South Sider @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 02:11 AM)
If Fulmers stuff is as underwhelming as everyone has been saying, converting him to a reliever will not work. You still need at least 1 good pitch to possibly be a quality reliever. At this point, the Sox and Carson just need to stick their noses to the grindstone and try to get his stuff back to where it was when they drafted him. It sucks to see him struggle so much being that he's one of our first rounders, but you can't give up now and the Sox need to find a way to keep this kid confident in himself as his struggles continue. Sadly, I can't see him being very confident right now, so I hope the Sox can help him as much as possible over the offseason to find his "stuff".

Completely agree hence my comment of even getting him with someone he worked with in the past when he was good i.e. Vandy pitching coach etc

Edited by BamaDoc

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:10 PM)
he's a gas can on any days of rest

Agreed, I was referring to the once a week starting schedule that college and high school pitchers have. Sometimes you don't know how good a pitcher's stuff really is until they go to the pros. Fulmer is exhibit A for how scouting mistakes happen with pitchers. You are an Area Scout. You see him in at Vandy with lights out stuff. Everyone agrees. He gets to the pros and the stuff goes from MLB quality to Org filler quality after losing 2 days of rest. I take back what I said earlier. I loved the Fulmer pick when it happened, he looked super nasty at Vandy, but he just doesn't have it in the pros. It happens.

It's still too late to swap Fulmer and Glasnow straight up huh? (mentioned that months ago before the season :lol:) I still believe in Fulmer but he needs alot of work. Fastball is still hitting 95-96. Everything else isn't as strong and that includes his control.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:19 PM)
He doesn't have enough time on the books to make it a career yet. Give him a chance

He's had minimal if any success above A+ ball. That isn't anything other than organizational filler. They messed up the scouting, I can see how it happened. You need to hit on top 10 picks but this guy looked like a #2 in the making at Vandy.

I don't get why people are so impatient. He sucks, but it really is not an issue for us to try him as a reliever next year. It's not like we're trying to contend or we have a packed bullpen or anything. The risk is nonexistent. Worst case scenario, he sucks and we lose more games, and get a better pick.

Edited by Jose Abreu

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 22, 2017 -> 02:24 AM)
I don't get why people are so impatient. He sucks, but it really is not an issue for us to try him as a reliever next year. It's not like we're trying to contend or we have a packed bullpen or anything. The risk is nonexistent. Worst case scenario, he sucks and we lose more games, and get a better pick.

Honestly, I'm more frustrated with how poorly Moncada and Anderson played today than Fulmer. With that said, hopefully Giolito performs decently tomorrow. Not overly optimistic

Flavum, you might as well update the standings. Can't see the sox pulling this one out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
Not overly optimistic

I mean, that isn't your M.O. anyways. ;)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:24 PM)

The difference between a starter and a reliever is having 3 pitches vs 2. Honestly, I'm not sure he has one MLB quality pitch. It doesn't matter how hard you throw if you can't even come close to hitting your spots. You still need a good fastball and a good offspeed pitch to be a reliever. He has none of the above. His regular velocity is 90-93 , even out of the pen that isn't going to cut it anymore without elite command.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:16 PM)
Agreed, I was referring to the once a week starting schedule that college and high school pitchers have. Sometimes you don't know how good a pitcher's stuff really is until they go to the pros. Fulmer is exhibit A for how scouting mistakes happen with pitchers. You are an Area Scout. You see him in at Vandy with lights out stuff. Everyone agrees. He gets to the pros and the stuff goes from MLB quality to Org filler quality after losing 2 days of rest. I take back what I said earlier. I loved the Fulmer pick when it happened, he looked super nasty at Vandy, but he just doesn't have it in the pros. It happens.

Exactly. At least the Sox are in the position to have a deep enough system that Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Hansen, Dunning, Adams, Stephens, and Guerrero are are still viable future SP options. Just sucks he was a #1 pick.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
Honestly, I'm more frustrated with how poorly Moncada and Anderson played today than Fulmer. With that said, hopefully Giolito performs decently tomorrow. Not overly optimistic

Yeah, I'm starting to get a little worried about Moncada. He has a great eye but a ton of swing and miss.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
His regular velocity is 90-93

That is completely false. Along with this game and the times I've seen him with the Knights, he was definitely 94-96. Obviously with the control issues, it won't matter anyways.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Aug 21, 2017 -> 09:32 PM)
That is completely false. Along with this game and the times I've seen him with the Knights, he was definitely 94-96. Obviously with the control issues, it won't matter anyways.

That is what I've seen at the Major league level last year. I took what he was throwing today with a grain of salt because he was amped for his first start.