8/24 Games

The doubts about Zavala are based more upon his defense, than his bat. If he can prove himself to be a good catcher, perhaps he will at least become the platoon partner for Collins, when the team is ready to contend. It's hard not to like his bat. It doesn't have to be one, or the other, Collins and Zavala could both make it.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
The fact that you think batting average means nothing when evaluating a prospect tells me everything I need to know. I guess that fact that he has an abysmal contact rate against guys in A ball means nothing.

.366 wOBA, 129 wRC+....looks like he did fine to me in A+

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
The fact that you think batting average means nothing when evaluating a prospect tells me everything I need to know. I guess that fact that he has an abysmal contact rate against guys in A ball means nothing.

Seby Zavala is not a .300 hitter. His average in A+ is being fueled by a .378 BABIP. He is closer to a .270 hitter in the minors, which probably translates to a .240 hitter in the majors. And Zavala is not without contact issues of his own - a 23.7% K% is nothing to write home about.

I will take Collins, thank you.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 07:00 AM)
Nobody mentioned Rose's grand slam. He is putting up a solid slugging %. He's on a pace of 40 doubles and 25 homers, in a full season. I'm intrigued because

he is purportedly a very good defensive third baseman, although he has played more first base, thus far.

We may ultimately see a battle between Burger and Rose for the hot corner, with Davidson becoming a DH, if he isn't traded. Whether, or not, Burger can stick at third, is the biggest question. He is 2 years younger than Rose, so perhaps we will get a chance to see both of them get a shot on the parent club, before it all shakes out.

At any rate, so far they are the 2 best hot corner prospects, in the system. However, no one should ignore Curbelo, who very well could be in the mix.

I think you read some old scouting reports, because I don't he has any future at 3B anymore.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 02:39 PM)
I think you read some old scouting reports, because I don't he has any future at 3B anymore.

Yes, the scouting report was indeed an old one. I couldn't find anything current, regarding his defense at third. So, you don't think that he is capable of playing solid defense there?

QUOTE (Lillian @ Aug 25, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
Yes, the scouting report was indeed an old one. I couldn't find anything current, regarding his defense at third. So, you don't think that he is capable of playing solid defense there?

I was told he has enough arm for 3B and can play there "in a pinch." He has solid power but I don't think he is going to hit for enough average to be a major league contributor.