Ongoing storm disaster thread

bmags

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a wedding to go to in Houston this weekend. My Thursday morning flight was canceled earlier, I'm trying to find a new one but I'm having a hell of a time. I'm in the wedding party but the only other options I was given to switch to get in late Friday night which would mean I'd miss the rehearsal. Other options I'm considering is just biting the bullet and paying a big sum for another flight Friday morning or flying into Austin and renting a car. The groom says the area where the wedding is was mostly unaffected so all things are a go at the moment.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
Ann Coulter just blamed Harvey on Houston electing a lesbian mayor....

"I don't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than "climate change.""

What in the actual F***?

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:47 AM)
"I don't believe Hurricane Harvey is God's punishment for Houston electing a lesbian mayor. But that is more credible than "climate change.""

What in the actual F***?

Just one of the more completely terrible people in the world.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
Ironically, I don't believe this is a worst case scenario by any stretch. It's major flooding, but the storm itself didn't strike the city. Worst case scenario combines this amount of rainfall with a direct storm surge strike.

This has been bugging me all day - 2k5 is right, you can't evacuate that city in 2 days, but at the same time the 500 year floodplains of these rivers are now being filled 3 times in the last 2 years. I am getting now why ordering an evac would be a disaster, but that means because the city is so big you're leaving the people who can't afford to evac on their own as sitting ducks.

I don't know what the answer is here, but this isn't a situation I'm comfortable with. Either we have dozens of dead people and tens of billions of dollars in taxpayer funds flowing into Houston every 10 years or so, or we rethink how this city operates before the next one hits - and basically none of the big time storm surge protection projects would have put a dent in this flooding, they were aimed at the last storm.

I am pretty sure we have had this debate from time to time, but realistically with as many people who put themselves in harms way of natural disasters, there isn't a way to make things fully safe from 50 inches of rain everywhere that is at risk for this.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
She didn't blame it on a lesbian mayor. She was just saying climate change isn't to blame for an Atlantic hurricane that is only remarkable for the densely populated area it hit.

You gotta be really sensitive to think she's blaming it on the mayor.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
I am pretty sure we have had this debate from time to time, but realistically with as many people who put themselves in harms way of natural disasters, there isn't a way to make things fully safe from 50 inches of rain everywhere that is at risk for this.

this may be relevant

chart-national-flood-insurance-program-d

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 04:45 PM)
I have a wedding to go to in Houston this weekend. My Thursday morning flight was canceled earlier, I'm trying to find a new one but I'm having a hell of a time. I'm in the wedding party but the only other options I was given to switch to get in late Friday night which would mean I'd miss the rehearsal. Other options I'm considering is just biting the bullet and paying a big sum for another flight Friday morning or flying into Austin and renting a car. The groom says the area where the wedding is was mostly unaffected so all things are a go at the moment.

Keep us posted Omar. Man, that is crazy timing. I'm still wondering with so many of those highways under water (and yet to drain) and all the danger of roads caving in, etc (as at least one has done) how the hell you can navigate to get to the area of the wedding? I mean Houston is normally total gridlock anyway. When you land at Hobby or Intercontinental I would wonder how the hell you would be able to navigate the floodwaters to the wedding.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 05:05 PM)

I never thought of that but you are right. It poured 50 inches of rain there with no letup. I mean Lawrence, Ks., would be underwater. It would have to be. What would happen in Chicagoland if a storm just wouldn't move out and dropped 50 inches of water straight down on Chicago? Good point.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:45 AM)

Airlines usually waive change fees during massive event like these, which could help you pick a different flight or maybe to Austin.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
One inch of rain is roughly equal to ten inches of snow. I don't remember any 500 inch snowstorms.

I have lived in the lake effect belt all of my life, and we have never had a 50 incher. We topped out at around 36 in one shot. I am pretty sure Chicago's biggest fall is about 10 inches less than that.