Ongoing storm disaster thread

bmags

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)
wut

You wanna answer the question? I clearly wasn't speaking literally. You can't make an argument that "asking questions" is how science works, when you've come to a decision based on exactly zero scientific expertise anyway.

Did you believe scientists that there would be an eclipse? Was there an eclipse? Why do you feel climate change is different? Please use specifics. Thanks.

Edited by Reddy

You wanna answer the question? I clearly wasn't speaking literally. You can't make an argument that "asking questions" is how science works, when you've come to a decision based on exactly zero scientific expertise anyway.

Did you believe scientists that there would be an eclipse? Was there an eclipse? Why do you feel climate change is different? Please use specifics. Thanks.

I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to convey here. You aren't speaking (??? I cant hear you) literally? Well then what the hell are you doing?

I think you should take a break. Just safely slide away and let this babble fade into the abyss where nobody can find it. I'm keeping the quote though, that's an all timer.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 08:51 PM)
Well how do we know it's a once in 500 year storm? From what I understand the Comanche did not keep detailed weather records. I think some of these ideas need to be reevaluated, and the "once in x amount of years" weather event label perhaps doesn't fit.

Why is it you accept science for so many things, yet not this? It is too bad Al Gore was really the front man on this subject, and people made it a political thing and not common sense.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 08:51 PM)
Well how do we know it's a once in 500 year storm? From what I understand the Comanche did not keep detailed weather records. I think some of these ideas need to be reevaluated, and the "once in x amount of years" weather event label perhaps doesn't fit.

Well, the average second grader learns Dendroclimatology as a way to show past climate changes. And thats just the start of biological indicators. I would suggest a quick google search on how they have determined, scientifically, what weather and climate patterns were back to thousands of years ago.

Of course that probably DOES require a belief in Dinosaurs and that there were civilizations that existed beyond the Comanche hundreds of years ago.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 07:45 AM)
Well, the average second grader learns Dendroclimatology as a way to show past climate changes. And thats just the start of biological indicators. I would suggest a quick google search on how they have determined, scientifically, what weather and climate patterns were back to thousands of years ago.

Of course that probably DOES require a belief in Dinosaurs and that there were civilizations that existed beyond the Comanche hundreds of years ago.

You're in on the China conspiracy, Rock!!!!

I love people who thinks, "Hmmm, oodles and oodles of scientific studies and data to prove climate change is real. None to prove it is a farce. I'll choose the farce!"

Edited by Brian

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
You're in on the China conspiracy, Rock!!!!

I love people who thinks, "Hmmm, oodles and oodles of scientific studies and data to prove climate change is real. None to prove it is a farce. I'll choose the farce!"

FYI, there was no science 500 years ago.

Houston’s ‘Wild West’ growth

How the city's development may have contributed to devastating flooding

Houston calls itself “the city with no limits” to convey the promise of boundless opportunity. But it also is the largest U.S. city to have no zoning laws, part of a hands-off approach to urban planning that may have contributed to catastrophic flooding from Hurricane Harvey and left thousands of residents in harm’s way.

Growth that is virtually unchecked, including in flood-prone areas, has diminished the land’s already-limited natural ability to absorb water, according to environmentalists and experts in land use and natural disasters. And the city’s drainage system — a network of reservoirs, bayous and, as a last resort, roads that hold and drain water — was not designed to handle the massive storms that are increasingly common.

Interesting article that goes into Houston's lack of zoning and how the booming construction there doesn't really take into account how to deal with large storms and potential flooding. The article doesn't touch on this aspect, but that same sort of unplanned rapid expansion contributes to the inability to properly and safely evacuate the area as well.

The commentors on that Big lead story can be rude. That one person said they almost deserve what they got by staying. Give me a break. Nobody deserves that.

Not everybody can flee. s***, you'd probably be fired by your job if you left in this day and age without the mandatory evacuation order. Like the writer said most people stay. Sure you can end up in a shelter but decisions are made and stuff happens.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 12:36 AM)
I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to convey here. You aren't speaking (??? I cant hear you) literally? Well then what the hell are you doing?

I think you should take a break. Just safely slide away and let this babble fade into the abyss where nobody can find it. I'm keeping the quote though, that's an all timer.

What are you even talking about?

Deflect deflect deflect when you can't answer a simple question that would create a big gaping hole in your argument. Fair enough. But we can all see you. Transparent AF.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
What are you even talking about?

Deflect deflect deflect when you can't answer a simple question that would create a big gaping hole in your argument. Fair enough. But we can all see you. Transparent AF.

How dare you address The Duke like that.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 08:15 PM)
Anyone see any info about donating things like clothes etc?

FWIW, US Postal Service has stopped for any zip code that has a 778 to start with, so literally 100 miles from Houston there is no mail service right now. Literally don't even try to ship goods here unless you're able to access your own nationwide shipping network. Basically, don't ship items unless you're actually part of the Walton family or you are in one of the nearby communities already.

If you want to give something tangible that isn't money, give blood. Houston will be collecting zero donations in the near future which means that every pint of blood that would otherwise have been used at the biggest medical complex in the world will have to be supplied from outside the city.

I could probably suggest a gofundme page or two from people who I know first or secondhand if someone were interested, but no pressure.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
FWIW, US Postal Service has stopped for any zip code that has a 778 to start with, so literally 100 miles from Houston there is no mail service right now. Literally don't even try to ship goods here unless you're able to access your own nationwide shipping network. Basically, don't ship items unless you're actually part of the Walton family or you are in one of the nearby communities already.

If you want to give something tangible that isn't money, give blood. Houston will be collecting zero donations in the near future which means that every pint of blood that would otherwise have been used at the biggest medical complex in the world will have to be supplied from outside the city.

I could probably suggest a gofundme page or two from people who I know first or secondhand if someone were interested, but no pressure.

Thanks dude