FS: Blake Rutherford confident as 1st full season winds down

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
Wait, the Sox had a deal in place for Q to the NYY? I had never heard that before.

Q was suppose to go to Pittsburgh, Cutch to NYY, and prospect (Rutherford possibly) to CHW. If you connect the dots between Brian's (RaBBit) tweets on 12/23 and later Rick Hahn's comments about a Christmas Eve deal, yes, it appears it was nearly completed.

Edited by southside hitman

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
Wait, the Sox had a deal in place for Q to the NYY? I had never heard that before.

I think that was the rumored three way between the Sox, Yanks and Pirates.

Great write-up Rob, really enjoyed the read. Sounds like Rutherford has the right attitude to go with his confidence.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)
Q was suppose to go to Pittsburgh, Cutch to NYY, and prospect (Rutherford possibly) to CHW. If you connect the dots between Brian's (RaBBit) tweets on 12/23 and later Rick Hahn's comments about a Christmas Eve deal, yes, it appears it was nearly completed.

Beat me to it. :D

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 12:55 PM)

Christmas Eve deal was Robertson to the Nats.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 01:17 PM)
Do you have a link for that?

No, but it was it. RH this spring said nothing was ever close with Q. I was in the room when he brought up the Christmas Eve thing at Soxfest, because someone asked him if there were periods where deals wouldn't be made. He through out he thought he had one on Christmas Eve this year, and New Years Eve or something like that previously. It was later found out, the Sox and Nats did agree to a trade but it was rejected by the Nats owner.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)

And now we got Rutherford and Eloy. I am content.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 01:25 PM)
No, but it was it. RH this spring said nothing was ever close with Q. I was in the room when he brought up the Christmas Eve thing at Soxfest, because someone asked him if there were periods where deals wouldn't be made. He through out he thought he had one on Christmas Eve this year, and New Years Eve or something like that previously. It was later found out, the Sox and Nats did agree to a trade but it was rejected by the Nats owner.

Thanks, I have updated the article to be more ambiguous on Rick's quote (Scott Gregor speculated on Quintana), but I am going off of Brian's report for the Q for Rutherford reported swap.

QUOTE (southside hitman @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 01:33 PM)
Thanks, I have updated the article to be more ambiguous on Rick's quote (Scott Gregor speculated on Quintana), but I am going off of Brian's report for the Q for Rutherford reported swap.

It worked out better for the Sox. Rutherford is more highly ranked, obviously Kahnle and Frazier were in the deal, but the Sox would have had to eat half of Robertson's deal. The Yankees prospects are a bit more interesting to me, and I am not a Rutherford guy.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:57 AM)
He's in his first full pro season and a teenager in Low A, pretty unlikely.

Rutherford needs to take a big step forward next year and really show us what he can do. He's a year older than most prospects drafted out of high school, so more production will be needed.

Defensively he grades as average, so the bat must play for him to hold down a corner OF spot.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
Rutherford needs to take a big step forward next year and really show us what he can do. He's a year older than most prospects drafted out of high school, so more production will be needed.

Defensively he grades as average, so the bat must play for him to hold down a corner OF spot.

And yet still two years young for current level. He doesn't need to make some giant leap, just needs to develop. Plenty of patience is OK here. A prep draftee playing A-ball in his second year and doing decent but not great is not a problem.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 05:35 PM)
And yet still two years young for current level. He doesn't need to make some giant leap, just needs to develop. Plenty of patience is OK here. A prep draftee playing A-ball in his second year and doing decent but not great is not a problem.

For a decent prospect? Yes, but I have higher expectations with a prospect of Rutherford's pedigree. I understand it takes time to develop, but a corner outfielder will have to show more pop to make it in the majors.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 03:07 PM)
For a decent prospect? Yes, but I have higher expectations with a prospect of Rutherford's pedigree. I understand it takes time to develop, but a corner outfielder will have to show more pop to make it in the majors.

Yeah he's had a disappointing season and has been very mediocre since joking the Sox. Sub 600 OPS with abysmal slugging. Scouting reports on him haven't been kind either. Needs a big year next season to make scouts a believer again.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 30, 2017 -> 06:15 PM)
Yeah he's had a disappointing season and has been very mediocre since joking the Sox. Sub 600 OPS with abysmal slugging. Scouting reports on him haven't been kind either. Needs a big year next season to make scouts a believer again.

I haven't followed his progress all the close that entire year...but why is everyone saying (or some) he's had a disappointing year? Is it lack of power numbers you find disappointing? Or want a higher average? Just curious...

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 31, 2017 -> 01:01 AM)
I haven't followed his progress all the close that entire year...but why is everyone saying (or some) he's had a disappointing year? Is it lack of power numbers you find disappointing? Or want a higher average? Just curious...

Yep no power and a few reports of weak contact by those that have seen him live