Giants interested in Stanton

southsider2k5

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)

I think I read on espn that people are speculating we have interest in him too...

QUOTE (yesterday333 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 05:21 PM)
I think I read on espn that people are speculating we have interest in him too...

espn are a bunch of idiots...so I'd take that with a grain of salt.

why would the Sox have interest?

that being said...I wonder what any of these packages would look like (from the 4 teams mentioned as most interested: Giants, Cards, Phillies, Rangers)...

Edited by Wanne

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
If we take on that contract, I am not willing to give up anything of value... at all.

As good as Stanton has been, agreed. Not interested in paying a 27 year old approximately 295M for the next 10 years.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/miami-marlins/g...o-stanton-6864/

QUOTE (ron883 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 06:54 PM)
Sox will be better suited waiting to give Harper or Machado offers. You know KW has one of them in his sights. Pass on Stanton. Wait for Machado and Harper.

Hard pass on all three. Harper and Machado will be in the same boat as Stanton once they get their contracts. Would rather use that money over the next five years or so to start locking up some of the young players long term. Would also leave money to fill multiple holes through free agency when the time comes.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 05:59 PM)
Hard pass on all three. Harper and Machado will be in the same boat as Stanton once they get their contracts. Would rather use that money over the next five years or so to start locking up some of the young players long term. Would also leave money to fill multiple holes through free agency when the time comes.

Agree with this. Don't start giving big money to FA's or other players in trades until we know where our holes are on the roster when all the young guys are up.

QUOTE (soxforlife05 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 07:25 PM)
Agree with this. Don't start giving big money to FA's or other players in trades until we know where our holes are on the roster when all the young guys are up.

Exactly. It's going to take time to develop players and then acclimate to the majors.

Curious how the Giants are interested in Stanton given their payroll projection for next year is 225M. That number is based on current contract and arbitration estimates for next season.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/SF...contracts.shtml

I'll go against the grain here and say I'd absolutely be interested in Stanton. Obviously it depends on what you'd have to give up but even if that contract bites you in the ass in the last few years he really has a chance to put you over the top these next 5 or so when our current group of prospects is ready to make moves.

QUOTE (Quin @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Hypothetically if the Sox claimed Stanton, who's the highest rated prospect you'd be willing to part with?

May be going against everyone here, but I'd give them Carson Fulmer, especially if the organization projects him as a reliever. Although that could be too high.

Edited by Soxnfins

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
I'll go against the grain here and say I'd absolutely be interested in Stanton. Obviously it depends on what you'd have to give up but even if that contract bites you in the ass in the last few years he really has a chance to put you over the top these next 5 or so when our current group of prospects is ready to make moves.

Let's assume that they aren't going to move him now as they are in the race, and then let's also assume that they will want someone notable in the offseason as he has become the face of their franchise. As much as you and I know it to be the case, they do not want to simply say they were trading that contract. They want to at least be able to hang their hat on someone their fanbase can look forward to watching for the next several years.

I really don't see this being possible unless the team trading for Stanton is willing to part with some talent. I also don't see a team being willing to part with some talent without getting some kind of salary relief.

So what are you willing to move and for what amount of money are you asking Miami to eat?

I think I might go as far as giving them Lopez and a few lower level guys if they'd eat $35-40 million.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:09 PM)
May be going against everyone here, but I'd give them Carson Fulmer, especially if the organization projects him as a reliever. Although that could be too high.

I'd consider guys from the second tier, but definitely not the first.

Sorry guys...that's still a ton of quiche/assets to have to fork over for one guy. I'm on board with staying the course with the rebuild and wait for guys like Jimenez, Moncada, Robert, Rutherford, Burger, etc... to develop. When the Sox are primed for a big run...Stanton will probably be 32 years old. Not that that's old...but I'd hate to be saddled with an albatross contract for someone that age. I sure as hell don't want to give up any of the young talent...

I think the Marlins put Stanton out there to gauge interest for a potential fire sale this winter. That farm is horrible and despite a nice little run recently, they aren't going to do anything in that division. With new ownership it would be a perfect time for them to rebuild.

Man, am I glad the Sox did their rebuild when they did.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:20 PM)
Let's assume that they aren't going to move him now as they are in the race, and then let's also assume that they will want someone notable in the offseason as he has become the face of their franchise. As much as you and I know it to be the case, they do not want to simply say they were trading that contract. They want to at least be able to hang their hat on someone their fanbase can look forward to watching for the next several years.

I really don't see this being possible unless the team trading for Stanton is willing to part with some talent. I also don't see a team being willing to part with some talent without getting some kind of salary relief.

So what are you willing to move and for what amount of money are you asking Miami to eat?

I think I might go as far as giving them Lopez and a few lower level guys if they'd eat $35-40 million.

I'd hate for them to go that far to then give away a quarter of a billion dollars worth of options.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 04:17 PM)
I'll go against the grain here and say I'd absolutely be interested in Stanton. Obviously, it depends on what you'd have to give up but even if that contract bites you in the ass in the last few years he really has a chance to put you over the top these next 5 or so when our current group of prospects is ready to make moves.

I'm with you. I figure he'll opt out in a couple years, but I think he's the perfect fit for what we are trying to do. And if you can get him by taking on salary (which we actually have the capacity to do)...you go for it, imo. Even if it isn't until 2019 we are contending for a wildcard, you are talking about one "wasted" year and not giving up key prospects. I think we'd be crazy not to be involved (if it is more of a dollar play than a prospect play). If it is a prospect play, I agree, we should not be involved.

QUOTE (Soxnfins @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 05:09 PM)

I'd make that trade without thinking twice. I'd probably be willing to give up Fulmer / Adolfo...those type of guys.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 06:31 PM)
Sorry guys...that's still a ton of quiche/assets to have to fork over for one guy. I'm on board with staying the course with the rebuild and wait for guys like Jimenez, Moncada, Robert, Rutherford, Burger, etc... to develop. When the Sox are primed for a big run...Stanton will probably be 32 years old. Not that that's old...but I'd hate to be saddled with an albatross contract for someone that age. I sure as hell don't want to give up any of the young talent...

32 years old? That is 5 years from now. If we are talking 5 years to be primed for a big run, things have gone really wrong. To me Stanton should be in his prime when you are contending for a series and he should also help you get to contention faster (as long as you are using cash / lesser prospects to get that piece (I'm not dealing a top 200 guy at the time, since there is a major risk Stanton ops out more near term).

If the Marlins wanted something to show face, I'd trade Abreu and Fulmer for Stanton. I like the idea of keeping Abreu around, but I'd be interested in Stanton for being a key piece to our long-term rebuild (who really speeds up the process for 2019 wild card contention with what you hope is an upward trajectory from there).

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Aug 28, 2017 -> 06:59 PM)

Machado will be 26 when he hits FA. A 10 year deal would pay for his age 26-35 seasons. That's unlikely to be a crippling deal. Harper is an even better candidate, but the numbers on him are going to be insane.