Kopech will have a chance to win a rotation spot next spring

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 07:53 PM)
Giolito too.

I forgot about him. Nasty.

I do think we should not let our future studs play on 120 loss teams. Keep them in the minors until we at least have the possibility of .500. But hey, I want to win now so I will accept the rushing of players if that's what it takes.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
This is absolutely consistent with what Rick Hahn has said about believing 2019 is when his window re-opens.

Yep and to do that, you need to at least ensure you are getting your guy's feet wet in 2018 (or a good variety of them). It takes time and not everyone is just going to emerge overnight and some will never emerge.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:53 PM)
Moncada came up not because he was making Mincemeat of the Minors but because the major league trade deadline schedule dictated it. I'm guessing we'll see Kopech up after the Super-2 deadline for the same reason.

Right. Post trade deadline is in August. Plus, who are the Sox going to have to trade in the rotation next July?

Locks: Rodon, Lopez, Shields and Giolito (maybe not a lock for Gio yet, but at this point I'd be surprised if he isn't in OD rotation)

Maybe they sign a flip candidate for the 5th spot, but there are plenty of internal options that could be given a shot (Stephens, Guerrero, Danish, Fulmer (unlikely), maybe even Adams). I'd lean towards giving the job to Stephens or Guerrero who will play the majority of next seasons at 25 and 24, instead of a guy like Chatwood or Sanitago that are unlikely to bring anything of value back in July.

I like it. I've said for a while this year that Kopech is the star of that Sale trade. He's the type of talent that could pitch his next start in the majors and he'll still produce. I like the Sox are pushing him and I think he'll respond. I also think he's the type of guy if he does fail, that he'll go back and fix it and succeed.

All that being said - I also see this as a motivator more than anything. My guess would be June/July 2018 when he is called up.

My guess on Eloy would be next September for a cup of coffee and then back down in 2019 for a few weeks or whatever timeline is necessary for an extra year of control.

Next year I can see ending the year rotation with Kopech, Rodon, Lopez, Giolito and ______

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:57 PM)
If Kopech forces his way into the MLB rotation next year, even EARLY next year, fine.

If Kopech is in the MLB rotation on Opening Day, the White Sox are stupid.

Service time is important.

Hahn is not stupid enough to give up basically a whole 7th year just to get the 2 extra starts Kopech would have by being on the opening day roster.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 12:52 PM)
"Has a chance to earn it"

He is gonna have to knock them over. I mean, he could, but it isn't as if he is being handed a spot

I hope this is right. At the very least I would like to see him pitch half a season in Charlotte and keep his walk totals down. He did achieve the most important landmark this year in getting through an entire season without injury or incident, and even managed to get his walk totals down over the last month.

Hopefully this is a reward for a home run of a season, but not something that is set in stone.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
Hahn is not stupid enough to give up basically a whole 7th year just to get the 2 extra starts Kopech would have by being on the opening day roster.

All for a year they have zero chance at getting to the playoffs.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
I forgot about him. Nasty.

I do think we should not let our future studs play on 120 loss teams. Keep them in the minors until we at least have the possibility of .500. But hey, I want to win now so I will accept the rushing of players if that's what it takes.

Your hyperbole gets real old. This is nowhere near a 120 loss team with or without our prospects being called up. Why? Because there has only been one 120 loss team since the turn of the 20th century.

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:00 PM)
Right. Post trade deadline is in August. Plus, who are the Sox going to have to trade in the rotation next July?

Locks: Rodon, Lopez, Shields and Giolito (maybe not a lock for Gio yet, but at this point I'd be surprised if he isn't in OD rotation)

Maybe they sign a flip candidate for the 5th spot, but there are plenty of internal options that could be given a shot (Stephens, Guerrero, Danish, Fulmer (unlikely), maybe even Adams). I'd lean towards giving the job to Stephens or Guerrero who will play the majority of next seasons at 25 and 24, instead of a guy like Chatwood or Sanitago that are unlikely to bring anything of value back in July.

I would still guess that the 5th spot in our 2018 rotation will be filled by a rule 5 draft pick as we have a clear opening right there and no internal candidates who will be likely to force them off the roster. We don't have room for guys in the infield or outfield, but the rotation has an opening so it's a logical place.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:11 PM)
Nope. Really think they are gonna lose a year of control on him? Lip service.

Exactly. Zero chance Kopech is on the opening day roster and the Sox burn a season of valuable control for 2-3 starts.

Kopech just got promoted to AAA and is only 21 years old, why rush him to the majors before he is ready?

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
Exactly. Zero chance Kopech is on the opening day roster and the Sox burn a season of valuable control for 2-3 starts.

Kopech just got promoted to AAA and is only 21 years old, why rush him to the majors before he is ready?

So Fine. Adjust the thinking. "Kopech will have a chance to be up 2 weeks after the season starts".

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)
So Fine. Adjust the thinking. "Kopech will have a chance to be up 2 weeks after the season starts".

This is exactly what they mean. Of course they're going to bring them up once they AT LEAST secure the extra year. I think what he (Hostler) meant was there's nothing Kopech can learn at AAA that he wouldn't be able to do at the ML level and get acclimated at the same time.

Edited by TheTruth05

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:23 PM)
This is exactly what they mean. Of course they're going to bring them up once they AT LEAST secure the extra year. I think what he (Hostler) meant was there's nothing Kopech can learn at AAA that he wouldn't be able to do at the ML level and get acclimated at the same time.

I agree. Which then begs the question, if that does indeed happen, who are they signing for that 5th spot and for 2 weeks? They giving it to whoever impresses in the spring and then shoving them in the pen when Kopech comes up? Not gonna lie I'd love to see MiGo back for another year, but I suspect he will go to a contender.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:16 PM)

Sox FO March 29th " we sent Kopech down to Charlotte to work on some things". April 29th " Kopech has eally impressed at Charlotte so we're calling him up". :lol:

QUOTE (flavum @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 12:30 PM)
If that's the case, then I also change my mind on Jimenez. They may get these guys to Chicago faster as long as they feel they can handle the inevitable ups and downs.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 01:13 PM)
Anyone else get the impression the Sox might want to not tank next year ? I read a lot of Sox stuff and that's the impression I am getting.

Yes. That's what I've thought all along, the Sox do not seem likely to tank in 2018, and they aim to compete in 2019. I don't think Kopech will break camp with the big league club, that's ridiculous, but I do think both he and Eloy will be up next year (and for good) before September.

This is smart on many levels. One, it motivates Kopech, who from his twitter, seems a bit frustrated he's not already in MLB. Two, it motivates the fanbase and will probably sell some more spring training tickets and trips now. And lastly there's no downside come April 4th when they send him to AAA like they planned all along.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:06 PM)
I would still guess that the 5th spot in our 2018 rotation will be filled by a rule 5 draft pick as we have a clear opening right there and no internal candidates who will be likely to force them off the roster. We don't have room for guys in the infield or outfield, but the rotation has an opening so it's a logical place.

I just listed several internals candidates for the 5th spot. I obviously think we'll grab a Rule IV guy, but I'd be surprised if he was in the rotation. Either a utility guy or relief pitcher.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:40 PM)
I just listed several internals candidates for the 5th spot. I obviously think we'll grab a Rule IV guy, but I'd be surprised if he was in the rotation. Either a utility guy or relief pitcher.

I highly doubt that they would attempt to get a utility player. Even if they dump Saladino and Hanson, counting Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, and that 3b we traded for from Milwaukee, we have more than enough guys for the infield positions who should get some big league playing time next year. I similarly don't look at Stephens or Guerrero and think they are obvious rotation candidates for next year - if they don't grab a rule 5 player and I still think they will, then in that case I'd expect them to sign someone Holland-like (someone suggested Lynn earlier in this thread) who can fill the role for part of the year.

Edit: LOL I even forgot Davidson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 02:48 PM)
I highly doubt that they would attempt to get a utility player. Even if they dump Saladino and Hanson, counting Sanchez, Leury Garcia, Anderson, Moncada, and that 3b we traded for from Milwaukee, we have more than enough guys for the infield positions who should get some big league playing time next year. I similarly don't look at Stephens or Guerrero and think they are obvious rotation candidates for next year - if they don't grab a rule 5 player and I still think they will, then in that case I'd expect them to sign someone Holland-like (someone suggested Lynn earlier in this thread) who can fill the role for part of the year.

I think this is all spot on for how the Sox operate. They usually find and invite about a half dozen pitchers on MiLB deals to spring training with various levels of chances to make the team. You'll have both guys on minor league deal/spring training invites along with a Rule 5 pick or two, to go with guys like Giolito/Lopez who are higher confidence levels for making the team.

I would say as it stands today the White Sox have two rotation locks. Rodon and Shields will be on the White Sox roster with near 100% certainty, but for different reasons. Lopez I would put at about 90%. Giolito about 70%. Both could lose spots with bad springs, but in general are probably breaking camp. That leaves the last 1 to 2 spots for competition between everyone else.

QUOTE (lasttriptotulsa @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 08:05 PM)
Your hyperbole gets real old. This is nowhere near a 120 loss team with or without our prospects being called up. Why? Because there has only been one 120 loss team since the turn of the 20th century.

I'm not the first to mention 120 losses on here.

And guess what? With this bullpen, it's a 110-120 loss team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 29, 2017 -> 03:16 PM)
I'm not the first to mention 120 losses on here.

And guess what? With this bullpen, it's a 110-120 loss team.

I beg to differ I am pretty sure you are the first and only