Trade avi in the offseason?

ron883

I've read where the Orioles will offer Manny Machado a big contract this off season. Baltimore has indicated that if he turns down their offer they will probably trade him. That being said, I hope the White Sox offer Garcia a long term contract. If he turns it down, trade him. I hope Garcia remains a member of the White Sox. After the White Sox sign Garcia I'm hoping they sign Addison Reed and JD Martinez to long term contracts.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 04:18 PM)
I've read where the Orioles will offer Manny Machado a big contract this off season. Baltimore has indicated that if he turns down their offer they will probably trade him. That being said, I hope the White Sox offer Garcia a long term contract. If he turns it down, trade him. I hope Garcia remains a member of the White Sox. After the White Sox sign Garcia I'm hoping they sign Addison Reed and JD Martinez to long term contracts.

Why would a rebuilding team sign a guy like Reed to a long term contract?

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 03:18 PM)

I've only seen this speculated by fans in the comment section on MLBTR.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 02:24 PM)
Why would a rebuilding team sign a guy like Reed to a long term contract?
1) Reed is only 29 years old. 2) Reed is better than anybody the team has now in the bullpen, which isn't saying much. This has now become the worse White Sox bullpen since 1970.

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)
1) Reed is only 29 years old. 2) Reed is better than anybody the team has now in the bullpen, which isn't saying much. This has now become the worse White Sox bullpen since 1970.

1. Reed doesn't turn this bullpen into a better bullpen automatically. 2. Rebuilding. Buckle up

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 04:08 PM)

Until the Sox need a good bullpen, they aren't going to spend money on one. They may go dumpster diving for arms this winter, but they aren't spending big money until they know A.) they will be good enough to need to spent, and B.) which starters are going to fail and get used in the pen, and which of these arms acquired as relievers will be able to stick out there.

The market for Addy Reed is far from the store the Sox will be shopping in this winter. He is more of the Macy's market, while the White Sox will be garage sailing.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 04:24 PM)
Until the Sox need a good bullpen, they aren't going to spend money on one. They may go dumpster diving for arms this winter, but they aren't spending big money until they know A.) they will be good enough to need to spent, and B.) which starters are going to fail and get used in the pen, and which of these arms acquired as relievers will be able to stick out there.

The market for Addy Reed is far from the store the Sox will be shopping in this winter. He is more of the Macy's market, while the White Sox will be garage sailing.

This is exactly what they will do. Sign a decent amount of guys to minor league (some mlb) deals and see what sticks.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (WBWSF @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 09:08 PM)
1) Reed is better than anybody the team has now in the bullpen, which isn't saying much. This has now become the worse White Sox bullpen since 1970.

Sox brass and Sox fans don't care. We're still in the tank/rebuild mode. If we wanted a real closer next year to contend or for whatever other reason we'd have kept Robertson, WBWSF, right? It's not Reed time yet. Sox still want to lose; kids aren't ready and fans are being patient and not putting pressure on anybody to win now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 09:24 PM)

Exactly. Sox aren't interested in signing anybody for the big league roster right now. Sure they'd sign guys for the minor leagues if they are young enuf but they aren't looking for real players yet.

Sure am glad that the free agent market isn't the only place to find a good closer. They can be traded for later as needed or even better, develop one. Hmm, a good example might be the one a few are pining for. Yep, it was the White Sox that developed Reed as a closer. Point is, why go out and sign Addison Reed when it's possible we already have the future closer in the system? The Sox have a ton of lively arms and I see no reason why the future closer will not come from within the Sox system.

Lol, f***ing incredible. After all the complaining about Robertson's contract, the Sox find a team to trade for that contract and the next great idea is to repeat that process with Reed? Insanity.

This doesn't seem like the Orioles MO.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)
Sure am glad that the free agent market isn't the only place to find a good closer. They can be traded for later as needed or even better, develop one. Hmm, a good example might be the one a few are pining for. Yep, it was the White Sox that developed Reed as a closer. Point is, why go out and sign Addison Reed when it's possible we already have the future closer in the system? The Sox have a ton of lively arms and I see no reason why the future closer will not come from within the Sox system.

Lol, f***ing incredible. After all the complaining about Robertson's contract, the Sox find a team to trade for that contract and the next great idea is to repeat that process with Reed? Insanity.

That's why I said the White Sox are going to see who fails as a starter and which relievers in the minors are going to help them before they worry about the big market. They have some big arms coming through the system, and not all are going to make it as starters.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 05:45 PM)
That's why I said the White Sox are going to see who fails as a starter and which relievers in the minors are going to help them before they worry about the big market. They have some big arms coming through the system, and not all are going to make it as starters.

Right and all people need to do is take a little time to read about those arms and they will see why most of us do not desire to sign Reed. He isn't necessary at this point. I get it though, some folks are more comfortable with the proven and familiar instead of the unknown.

Honest question for those that want to sign Reed. Knowing the Sox are rebuilding, give one good reason why Reed would want to sign with the White Sox?

Don't say money because we already know that's not the answer. Reed will get that regardless of who he signs with.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 10:29 PM)

I appreciate your post until the end. People complaining about Robertson's contract were out of line, IMO. The man is/was a good closer and worth the $$. Sox dumped him cause no need for him now and get good prospects for him during a tank job. But why would anybody complain about his contract? If we had a good team he'd be a suitable to good closer. We just didn't need him since we are apt to stink not only this year but next. He actually was one of the few guys we've paid big bucks to since the WS that was earning his keep money wise.

Edited by greg775

No thanks to Reed for reasons everyone has mentioned. As for JD Martinez...everything I've read and heard come out of his mouth out here in PHX...he's enamored with the DBacks so far and would love to stay out here. He wants to be on a team that's contending now...not a few years from now is what he's said.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:52 PM)
Because many see STL as a fit for Avi. Give me Carson Kelly and a Hot N' Ready for Avi and I'd be stoked.. Mostly about the pizza though

How? They already have too many outfielders plus young guys like Bader, O'Neill and Sierra.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)
How? They already have too many outfielders plus young guys like Bader, O'Neill and Sierra.

Many posters here put them at the top of the list of Avi suitors. Weren't there rumors they were interested around and before the deadline too?

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 03:56 PM)

Also yes.. they have a lot of below average outfielder that they thought would be good who haven't turned out.. Piscotty, Grichuk. IDK if they're a fit too for the reasons you mentioned but they definitely aren't set in the outfield.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 04:11 PM)
Many posters here put them at the top of the list of Avi suitors. Weren't there rumors they were interested around and before the deadline too?

Yeah, but those were deadline rumors before STL traded for O'Neill. The rumor cooled pretty quick after that trade. I think the Cards move a few outfielders this winter so they can add Bader and O'Neill's power to their 2018 lineup.

How many top 50 position player prospects does it take to produce one guy, who ever puts up a year like the one Avi is having?

Look, I love these young prospects and the whole rebuild, as much as anyone, but at some point, it seems like you have to appreciate the rare successes and try to

hang on to them. Avi is a young guy, and has many years of his prime before him.

I hope that they extend him and lock him up for the next 5 or 6 years, to take him through his prime. He and Abreu, who could ultimately move to DH, could comprise half of the middle of the order, for the upcoming window of contention, beginning in 2019. I want both of them on that roster. I hope that Moncada becomes a Tim Raines, Ricky Henderson type lead off guy. If you plug Jimenez into the middle of the order and add one big left handed bat, you have the run production needed to win

a lot of games.

Beyond the production, there are a also few intangibles that come with keeping guys like Jose and Avi. Jose is a terrific leader and club house guy. Both could provide some important veteran presence, on what will be a very young team. There is also something about the camaraderie of maintaining a core of guys, and not turning over the entire roster. It is also difficult to build fan loyalty to a revolving door of prospects.

I just don't think that the success rate of prospects is high enough to trade away every prospect that works out, for the hope and "promise" of more and more prospects

QUOTE (Tony @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 07:58 PM)
Pretty solid take, Lillian.

I can't put myself on the trade Avi bandwagon yet. Based on his age, I just don't agree that he won't be a solid contributor when this team is supposed to compete.

The question isn't as much trade Avi or not, it is do you believe in him enough to give him a big money multi-year extension? If you keep him around, that is the point you are getting too. We saw what a pure hitter at the of his contract was worth this season, so the window is narrowing quickly to get anything for Avi.