Adam Engel

Lillian

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 01:58 PM)
Trading Jose in any way to "make room" for Delmonico and Davidson would be a very stupid move. If the right deal is there sure, make it. You don't even consider Delmonico or Davidson's playing time in the equation. For a guy that is essentially bad Adam Dunn, Davidson gets way too much f***ing love here.

Cool, he hits HR. He's also a butcher in the field and has an .280 OBP. There is more to baseball than HR.

That's based on Hahn's recent comments that Dick Allen was nice enough to pass on. It sounds as though Hahn would like to move Abreu because he will be a year or so away from FA by the time the Sox are ready to contend. And paying big money and long term contract to a 32/33 year old FA 1B wouldn't be the best use of money. I am summarising what I recall DA saying. So there is some margin for error on my part.

While we're making out possible lineups, for next year, I'd like to pencil in Yolmer at 3RD base, vs. RHP pitching. You know that I've always loved him, and he is making a believer out of the skeptics. He doesn't hit much, right handed, but from the other side of the plate, he's good enough to start, given his great defense. This year, in 338 AB's, he is hitting .269 with an OBP of .327 and a Slugging % of .412.

I think that we're all a little surprised at how strong his arm is, but he has made some very impressive throws from third.

Let Davidson play 3RD vs. LHP and DH vs. RHP. Delmonico should get a shot in LF, especially vs RHP. They need a LH power bat, as I'm always wont to point out.

I'd let Yolmer play 2B and let Moncada play 3B. Davidson can play 3B against some Lefties since Moncada struggles from the right side anyway. Leury at SS and Engel in CF.

Baseball is a defensive game and I'm sick of garbage defense up the middle. Leury, Yolmer and Engel gives the Sox premiere defense up the middle.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 09:28 PM)
I'd let Yolmer play 2B and let Moncada play 3B. Davidson can play 3B against some Lefties since Moncada struggles from the right side anyway. Leury at SS and Engel in CF.

Baseball is a defensive game and I'm sick of garbage defense up the middle. Leury, Yolmer and Engel gives the Sox premiere defense up the middle.

I want Moncada getting as many plate appearances against lefties as possible next year. If he is going to turn into an All-Star or superstar level player, he is going to need to be able to hit lefties competently.

I agree that Moncada needs all the at bats he can get, if the clock is going to be running, on his service time. Next year is a chance to see just what he can and cannot do. It's way to soon to think of platooning him. In fact, I don't see him as ever being a guy who would be platooned. Of course,

that does not preclude having him hit left handed, exclusively.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 8, 2017 -> 12:58 PM)
Trading Jose in any way to "make room" for Delmonico and Davidson would be a very stupid move. If the right deal is there sure, make it. You don't even consider Delmonico or Davidson's playing time in the equation. For a guy that is essentially bad Adam Dunn, Davidson gets way too much f***ing love here.

Cool, he hits HR. He's also a butcher in the field and has an .280 OBP. There is more to baseball than HR.

I agree. I would trade abreu for a really good offer but davidson doesn't have a good profile. Plus power but unlike adam dunn he doesn't just strike out but he doesn't walk. Low walks and high Ks just don't work in almost all cases. I wouldn't write davidson off but he dramatically needs to improve either plate discipline or contact ability. You can't chase pitches and also miss pitches over the plate at that level.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
I agree. I would trade abreu for a really good offer but davidson doesn't have a good profile. Plus power but unlike adam dunn he doesn't just strike out but he doesn't walk. Low walks and high Ks just don't work in almost all cases. I wouldn't write davidson off but he dramatically needs to improve either plate discipline or contact ability. You can't chase pitches and also miss pitches over the plate at that level.

Just to stress - "Low walks" did not describe Davidson when he was in the minors. It's genuinely surprising that he's walking so few times right now as that wasn't him before he came up. Hopefully this is a step in his development.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)
Just to stress - "Low walks" did not describe Davidson when he was in the minors. It's genuinely surprising that he's walking so few times right now as that wasn't him before he came up. Hopefully this is a step in his development.

Steverson could have suggested he increase his aggressiveness at the plate too.

QUOTE (ron883 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 05:28 PM)
You trade Jose if you get fair value or slightly below. Don't sell too low. His value will be higher than it ever will be again by the end of this season. Move him to make room for nicky d and Davidson.

I never would have guessed that you would make this post.

You are probably getting, at best, a top 150 prospect for him right now and maybe a flyer. There is no guaranteed value in that. I know Hahn said he would consider it, but he'd consider a lot of things. The thought of the Sox trading Jose still seems about impossible to me.

Jose will probably be the #3, or 4 hitter and veteran leader, for the young contending club in 2019 and I believe that they will try to extend him. If he stays in his current shape, which is perhaps the best he's been since coming to the States, the front office may have confidence in his ability to be productive, into his mid 30's. I suspect that by then, he will be the DH. He is the clubhouse leader, especially for the Latin players, particularly Jimenez, Robert and Moncada.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hahn sees both Abreu and Avi as part of the core, going into their window of contention. I'm not a big fan of having the entire team be kids.

They are going to need some leadership. It would be hard to go out and bring in another veteran, who would be as effective in that role. But then, I guess most of you have already concluded the same thing.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 07:25 PM)
Jose will probably be the #3, or 4 hitter and veteran leader, for the young contending club in 2019 and I believe that they will try to extend him. If he stays in his current shape, which is perhaps the best he's been since coming to the States, the front office may have confidence in his ability to be productive, into his mid 30's. I suspect that by then, he will be the DH. He is the clubhouse leader, especially for the Latin players, particularly Jimenez, Robert and Moncada.

It wouldn't surprise me if Hahn sees both Abreu and Avi as part of the core, going into their window of contention. I'm not a big fan of having the entire team be kids.

They are going to need some leadership. It would be hard to go out and bring in another veteran, who would be as effective in that role. But then, I guess most of you have already concluded the same thing.

They very likely are not

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?s=...t&p=3559491

Those are interesting comments from Hahn, which I had not seen. Thanks for the link.

Well, perhaps Hahn is going to try to assemble a core of almost exclusively kids. If that is his plan, then the Sox probably will not be contenders until 2020, or 2021.

I had hoped for 2019.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 04:54 PM)

Problem is that he chases a lot, 35% outside the zone swing rate. He needs to lower that number preferably to under 30%.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 06:23 AM)
Those are interesting comments from Hahn, which I had not seen. Thanks for the link.

Well, perhaps Hahn is going to try to assemble a core of almost exclusively kids. If that is his plan, then the Sox probably will not be contenders until 2020, or 2021.

I had hoped for 2019.

BTW abreu would already have gone if not for two reasons:

1. The market for corner bats is really low, they currently don't have a lot of value unless they hit like David Ortiz.

2. He might be kept kind of as a buddy for the Cubans who haven't always had the easiest time integrating in the past.

I think point 2 is the more minor one but it might give abreu some extra points. If there was a real offer he would be gone but not for a handful of fringy prospects.

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 10, 2017 -> 07:36 AM)
BTW abreu would already have gone if not for two reasons:

1. The market for corner bats is really low, they currently don't have a lot of value unless they hit like David Ortiz.

2. He might be kept kind of as a buddy for the Cubans who haven't always had the easiest time integrating in the past.

I think point 2 is the more minor one but it might give abreu some extra points. If there was a real offer he would be gone but not for a handful of fringy prospects.

Yeah the market for corner bats has been awful last couple years. Don't see it improving this off-season.