Adam Engel

Lillian

At this point I almost feel like you are doing a disservice to Engel by leaving him in the lineup. It’s almost getting to the point of embarrassment. Engel is a bad hitter, but he’s not THIS bad...it has to be mental at this point and sitting him down would have to help

2 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

At this point I almost feel like you are doing a disservice to Engel by leaving him in the lineup. It’s almost getting to the point of embarrassment. Engel is a bad hitter, but he’s not THIS bad...it has to be mental at this point and sitting him down would have to help

Sadly, I fear he may be this bad a hitter.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

He's actually improved his BA by 20 points and his OBP by 27 points from last year. Dude is on the upswing can't send him down now.

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Superstar Lamar said:

It won't be long now.  Tilson is starting to get his hitting in line after a year off.  Give him another 50 or so good at bats and he will be here to replace Engal.

As Tilson continues to get into a baseball rhythm for the first time in nearly two seasons, it becomes more and more plausible.

His last 10 games he has hit .286 with 12 hits in 42 ABs over that time.  He even has a 6 game hitting streak going now, with hits in 12 of his last 14 games.  His average has gone from .208 to .237 in that time. His OPS is up 51 points during that same time frame.  While he isn't killing the ball, he is probably to a point where he will give you more offense than Engel or Thompson, and he is supposed to be a solid OF defender as well.

The weird thing to me was how the White Sox went from a team that recognized hitters, to one that couldn't find one for years. For a long while, it seemed almost everyone they brought in, might not be able to catch or throw, but they could hit. All through the 90s with little exception, and through when they traded for Thome, but after that, it just stopped. Everyone they traded for or signed as a free agent struggled to put up numbers anywhere near their career norms. Everyone they drafted looked like a pitcher at the plate. Abreu or as a guy I met at a game last week calls him Abrew, and Eaton were pretty much the only exceptions. Hopefully that is turning around now. It would be great if the guy they add in the offseason when they are good again on a one year contract actually hits like the guys they used to bring in did.

15 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

The weird thing to me was how the White Sox went from a team that recognized hitters, to one that couldn't find one for years. For a long while, it seemed almost everyone they brought in, might not be able to catch or throw, but they could hit. All through the 90s with little exception, and through when they traded for Thome, but after that, it just stopped. Everyone they traded for or signed as a free agent struggled to put up numbers anywhere near their career norms. Everyone they drafted looked like a pitcher at the plate. Abreu or as a guy I met at a game last week calls him Abrew, and Eaton were pretty much the only exceptions. Hopefully that is turning around now. It would be great if the guy they add in the offseason when they are good again on a one year contract actually hits like the guys they used to bring in did.

This narrative should probably be changing based on recent events:

Matt Davidson looks like a solid DH, or at least worthy of a 25 man spot on most rosters

FA signing Castillo has continued to show why he was underrated, putting up a 115 wRC+ so far, among the best of any MLB catcher.

Palka, while he can't field for shit, is putting up a 129 wRC+, granted sss

Moncada's early success

And as you mentioned, Eaton and Abreu.

Sox have quietly done a pretty good job of bringing in cheap hitters.  It's the historically awful pitching that is the problem, and help should be on the way there.

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

Carlos Quentin...Alexei his first year.

Edited by caulfield12