Are we allowed to get nervous about Moncada at this point?

ron883

QUOTE (GermanSock @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 10:26 AM)
Not worried about his mlb stats, trout just had a 87 wRC+ his first 135 mlb PAs. However I'm a little worried that he hasn't really lowered his K rate in AAA this year. He is still very young but I would like to see at least some improvement in that regard.

Still if he can stay at 30% in the majors while keeping the walks up and hitting for some power he will be at least a solid player even if it is with a lowish average. And if he can lower it to 23-24% he can become a star. Bryant also struck out 30% in the minors and his first year and then improved to low 20s. That improvement is rare and most do not make it above A ball but it can happen.

Trout was also 19 and had a 22% k-rate for those 135 PAs.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 12:15 PM)
My god

You can either think that very small sample size gives you no signal, or SOME signal (however small it may be). Heaven forbid I think it was slightly telling.

It's possible to like a player, want them to succeed, and still be concerned. Nobody knows how this kid's career will unfold.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 12:04 PM)
You can either think that very small sample size gives you no signal, or SOME signal (however small it may be). Heaven forbid I think it was slightly telling.

It's possible to like a player, want them to succeed, and still be concerned. Nobody knows how this kid's career will unfold.

It was 19 ABs for a kid who wasn't even MLB ready, and everybody knew it. There are so many 19 AB sample sizes where all-stars hit .000/.100/.000 or bad hitters hit .474/.524/.788. At the end of the day, those 19 ABs will be something like 2 tenths of a percentage point of his career.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 12:17 PM)
It was 19 ABs for a kid who wasn't even MLB ready, and everybody knew it. There are so many 19 AB sample sizes where all-stars hit .000/.100/.000 or bad hitters hit .474/.524/.788. At the end of the day, those 19 ABs will be something like 2 tenths of a percentage point of his career.

All you have to do is look at Robin Ventura's 0-41 as a rookie to know that Moncada isn't doomed to death.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 01:22 PM)
All you have to do is look at Robin Ventura's 0-41 as a rookie to know that Moncada isn't doomed to death.

I haven't seen one poster who has said Moncada is doomed, merely that there's concern.

You guys are also conflating things. Yes "x type of players have had big slumps", but it can also be true that "x types of slumps are more correlated with hitters who end up struggling". They're obviously not mutually exclusive.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
I haven't seen one poster who has said Moncada is doomed, merely that there's concern.

You guys are also conflating things. Yes "x type of players have had big slumps", but it can also be true that "x types of slumps are more correlated with hitters who end up struggling". They're obviously not mutually exclusive.

You're right, but 19 ABs isn't a big enough sample size to be a slump, if that's what you're implying

As multiple people talk about him quitting switch hitting...

Moncada's build, athletic prowess, talent, and batted ball skills make a BJ Upton comparison seem even more reasonable. People will probably seem disappointed by such a comparison, but BJ Upton was really good for the first 6 years of his career. It wasn't till he went to Atlanta that the wheels fell off.

Correct so the answer should be. You have no reason to be concerned or be positive yet. No one knows anything really other than he is currently struggling. It means absolutely nothing about how good or bad he is going to be.

of course everyone would feel better about him if he was hitting .300 with power in this short amount of time. But that also would not indicate he was going to be a good player.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Correct so the answer should be. You have no reason to be concerned or be positive yet. No one knows anything really other than he is currently struggling. It means absolutely nothing about how good or bad he is going to be.

of course everyone would feel better about him if he was hitting .300 with power in this short amount of time. But that also would not indicate he was going to be a good player.

We don't know how his whole career will turn out, agree. What I'm asserting (and I think a study would back this up), is that if you looked at a players first 130 AB's there's likely to be a statistical relationship between how they do initially, and how they do over their career. I'm not saying the r^2 would be 0.8, but I'm guessing it's positive. Doesn't mean it will apply to him, but I bet the relationship is there and that's why it's concerning.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)

Agree that it is too early to tell. But if YM and TA look like this in June 2018,it could be disaster time.

Carlos Rodon doesn't calm my nerves much either. Try to stat positive tho.

QUOTE (zisk @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 04:57 PM)
Agree that it is too early to tell. But if YM and TA look like this in June 2018,it could be disaster time.

Carlos Rodon doesn't calm my nerves much either. Try to stat positive tho.

Meh, i actually don't think Moncada flopping would be disastrous. It would suck, but the rebuild is more than just one player.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Meh, i actually don't think Moncada flopping would be disastrous. It would suck, but the rebuild is more than just one player.

The guy we traded him for is going to win the CY and finish in the top 3-4 in MVP voting. Yes, this rebuild is more than just one guy. But we absolutely need Moncada to succeed to get to where we eventually want to get to.

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 01:43 PM)
We don't know how his whole career will turn out, agree. What I'm asserting (and I think a study would back this up), is that if you looked at a players first 130 AB's there's likely to be a statistical relationship between how they do initially, and how they do over their career. I'm not saying the r^2 would be 0.8, but I'm guessing it's positive. Doesn't mean it will apply to him, but I bet the relationship is there and that's why it's concerning.

Wonder how Mike Trout did when he first came up??? Robin Ventura??? Jose Bautista??? A-Rod???? Aaron Judge?

One could cherry pick both sides but really we just need to be patient and give the guy 1,000 at bats or so.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 06:20 PM)
The guy we traded him for is going to win the CY and finish in the top 3-4 in MVP voting. Yes, this rebuild is more than just one guy. But we absolutely need Moncada to succeed to get to where we eventually want to get to.

Kluber says hi. He's been better than Sale since returning from injury and it isn't even close

Edited by Jack Parkman

QUOTE (NCsoxfan @ Sep 9, 2017 -> 09:12 PM)

I thoroughly disagree. If Moncada flopped it would be horrific for the rebuild. He won't flop, though. He'll be great and I think Anderson will figure it out. He's hovering around .250 and still has a lot of homers, etc., during a season in which he's overall been blah at best. Anderson will thrive next season. He has talent folks. Moncada will be fine, but if for some reason he flopped that would be a huge failure of the organization. Huge.