Are we allowed to get nervous about Moncada at this point?

ron883

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 08:26 PM)
Right now, I think that they'll be a 70 win team next year.

Giolito, Lopez and Fulmer are due for some growing pains

It's all up to the front office. If they want to lose big one more year we'll lose big. Cause if they want to win there has to be a rebuilt bullpen and a significant closer acquired. Unless Nate is the man. Also if they want to win they would have to acquire a veteran starter to go with the young guys. And finally we need a catcher who can hit a bit.

Without these things, losing batches of games is assured and no way they are going to sign a pitcher; no way are they going to sign a closer.

I'd say a very similar year to this year, maybe identical record wise or 5-10 games worse. The bullpen is huge nowadays and ours reeks.

Edited by greg775

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 02:29 PM)
It's all up to the front office. If they want to lose big one more year we'll lose big. Cause if they want to win there has to be a rebuilt bullpen and a significant closer acquired. Unless Nate is the man. Also if they want to win they would have to acquire a veteran starter to go with the young guys. And finally we need a catcher who can hit a bit.

Without these things, losing batches of games is assured and no way they are going to sign a pitcher; no way are they going to sign a closer.

I'd say a very similar year to this year, maybe identical record wise or 5-10 games worse. The bullpen is huge nowadays and ours reeks.

I don't think that Hahn and co. are going to try to add pieces that will make the team more competitive, I think they'll be looking for guys that they can flip potential at the deadline.

I agree that the pitching next year will be a problem next year but the offense should be more consistent next year.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
I don't think that Hahn and co. are going to try to add pieces that will make the team more competitive, I think they'll be looking for guys that they can flip potential at the deadline.

I agree that the pitching next year will be a problem next year but the offense should be more consistent next year.

I do think they will fill charlotte with a bunch of Pelfrey / Holmberg like pitchers to prevent them from forcing up Kopech / Adams / Guerrerro pieces before they want.

QUOTE (Joshua Strong @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 04:10 PM)

If he is looking for guys to flip, they are only flippable if they are productive which would most likley make the team competitive.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Sep 21, 2017 -> 08:21 PM)
I'm actually really interested to see how they approach this offseason. I could understand either way. Either still stay young and sign projects, or maybe make a multi year signing for a guy that makes sense now and in the future.

Just out of curiosity, but who do you think that guy is this off-season?

QUOTE (mcbrides @ Sep 22, 2017 -> 10:22 PM)
A Lester like signing would be ideal, but as is happening now you can only hope for three years of production.

Our "Lester" will come in 2019 or 2020.

Edit: and I hope his name is Sale.

Wake me up when I'm not dreaming :lolhitting

Edited by hi8is

Gonna be fun reading 8 months of people b****ing the sox didn't make a "Lester" move this offseason despite:

A) There not being a single FA available worth a s*** other than the Royals trio who we're not signing for multiple reasons

B) The incredibly high level of stupidity it would be to blow our payroll wad before knowing what the new core vs. holes are before a massive FA class after 2018

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 12:47 AM)
Gonna be fun reading 8 months of people b****ing the sox didn't make a "Lester" move this offseason despite:

A) There not being a single FA available worth a s*** other than the Royals trio who we're not signing for multiple reasons

B) The incredibly high level of stupidity it would be to blow our payroll wad before knowing what the new core vs. holes are before a massive FA class after 2018

Maybe they will only b**** for 7 months.

Edited by zisk

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 12:47 AM)

Better yet, they will wait until one free agent who no one expects it from to have a breakout start to the season, and then pretend that the White Sox should have known it was coming.

As a rookie too young for the bigs who struggled right when he came up and still isn't hitting well from the right side, Moncada will cross 200 PAs today. If he did exactly this for 600 PAs, his counting numbers would be:

120 hits, 66 RBI, 24 HR, 18 2b, 75 BB, 198 Ks.

Would you take that from a 22 year old 2nd baseman? I would bet I would.

One thing I would like to see more of from Moncada (as well as a whole bunch of the other guys), is stolen bases. This team has speed to burn and hasn't used it to any real extent. Anderson, Moncada, Engel and Hanson should be running just about every time they are on base. Anderson and Engel have great rations but they don't run enough. Having speed can create a lot of havoc and put pressure on the defense and pitcher, but only if the team uses that speed.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)
One thing I would like to see more of from Moncada (as well as a whole bunch of the other guys), is stolen bases. This team has speed to burn and hasn't used it to any real extent. Anderson, Moncada, Engel and Hanson should be running just about every time they are on base. Anderson and Engel have great rations but they don't run enough. Having speed can create a lot of havoc and put pressure on the defense and pitcher, but only if the team uses that speed.

Anderson is a good base stealer, but does anyone else notice how slow he is to 1st?

If the team could straighten him out coming out of the box his BA would go up 15-20 points.

QUOTE (turnin' two @ Sep 23, 2017 -> 01:38 PM)

Stolen bases are overrated as a stat. They're nice, but an out is a lot of risk.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 09:23 AM)
Stolen bases are overrated as a stat. They're nice, but an out is a lot of risk.

With Moncada's speed...if he learned to be a high % base stealer, that would be underrated how disruptive that could be for the team.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 10:23 AM)

Sure, but the difference between 5-10 stolen base player and 40-50 stolen base player is a lot of value. And coming from a power hitter who takes a lot of walks may affect the way pitchers try to pitch to him

I agree. I recall the break-even percentage of stolen bases being a net negative or positive was something like 71%. I do think Moncada can be a high efficiency base stealer though- take Anderson but with more attempts (hopefully)

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Sep 24, 2017 -> 07:23 AM)

I guess you don't remember Scotty Pods in the 2005 year. Or perhaps your second statement kinda alludes to your stance... if you've got speed which equates to a high success rate ( low risk ) then a burner can ignite an offense and put pressure on the opposing team in a couple of ways.

Moncada clearly has game changing speed. Dudes electric!

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 03:39 AM)
I guess you don't remember Scotty Pods in the 2005 year. Or perhaps your second statement kinda alludes to your stance... if you've got speed which equates to a high success rate ( low risk ) then a burner can ignite an offense and put pressure on the opposing team in a couple of ways.

Moncada clearly has game changing speed. Dudes electric!

Can be very disruptive to the opposing pitcher.

Hmm. Risk, yes. A lot of risk? Well that depends. High reward as well. If Moncada (or Anderson) can turn 30 singles or walks into doubles, well that gives the Sox a much better chance to score. Having speed like that on 2nd will lead to more runs.

Honest question, if Trea Turner stole 5 bases a year, would he be a difference maker? I think as he is now he certainly is one. Do you think he would have scored as many runs? Do you think that 42 steal Trea Turner distracts pitchers? Do you think 8 stolen base Trea Turner would?

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 10:45 AM)
It's not about how many bases you steal, it's about how often you're caught stealing. You can steal 40 bases all you want, but if you're caught 20 times, you're hurting the team.

If you get caught 20 times and you steal 200, are you still hurting the team?

Stolen bases are nice but with all the scouting these days there's really only a few guys that can steal a base at a 80% clip when everybody knows it's coming. I think Moncada should pick his spots and steal 20/25 or 25/30 next year. Too much more than that and you're taking a fairly big injury risk as well. What he does need to be doing at every opportunity is taking the extra base and we've seen he's capable of that.