Yolmer Sanchez Appreciation

chitownsportsfan

He is 4th on the team in fWAR for position players at 1.6 and with his recent hot surge he's almost up to league average with the bat -- a quite valuable quality in a guy that plays 3B, SS, and 2B all above average.

Personally I'd be considering making him the starting 3B next year. He's earned that shot. If he's really a 2-3 WAR player it would behoove the Sox to give him another 500+ PA next year. He's still only in his age 24 season and will be hitting his prime just as the Sox are looking to contend in 2019-2022.

If nothing else he's proven that he'll have a 10 year career as a utility guy. Sox haven't had a player like him in quite a while. Remember when the "super utility" Bonafacio was on the roster? Ha!

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Let that ring out! Really, anybody that thought Micah was a legit 2B should wear the scarlet letter. You let Hawk talk you into that silly idea.

I still remember an infield hit and Micah just stood there not knowing what base to cover. That was when I lost hope in Micah.

I don't know what the future holds for Sanchez but I wouldn't rule out him playing a Willie Harris/Geoff Blum type role for the next White Sox contender. Happy as hell to have him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 01:08 PM)
Ditto. But I was extremely biased because I've liked Sanchez since the Futures Game.

Nice. That goes back a long way. I've always liked his glove, versatility and switch hitting.

He threw me off a few years ago. I looked at the winter ball site to see how Sanchez was playing and the name Yolmer came up. Looked at his picture and it was him. That was the first time I had seen his name listed as Yolmer.

I've been rooting for Mr.Sanchez over Saladino for a while now so happy he's getting more reps and making the most of it. He's def earned the right to compete with Davidson for 3b AB's next year, which I don't think will be much of a competition when you compare their overall game. Let him start at 3B until you can find an upgrade.

As I posted a few days ago, his stats look even better vs. RHP: AVG .274 OBP .330 SLG .430

I'll stick with my suggestion that the Sox let Matt play 3RD vs LHP. That would provide the benefit of providing some hint as to whether, or not, Davidson can become good enough defensively to play the hot corner. If his bats plays, Matt can DH vs. RHP.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 12:56 PM)
He is 4th on the team in fWAR for position players at 1.6 and with his recent hot surge he's almost up to league average with the bat -- a quite valuable quality in a guy that plays 3B, SS, and 2B all above average.

Personally I'd be considering making him the starting 3B next year. He's earned that shot. If he's really a 2-3 WAR player it would behoove the Sox to give him another 500+ PA next year. He's still only in his age 24 season and will be hitting his prime just as the Sox are looking to contend in 2019-2022.

If nothing else he's proven that he'll have a 10 year career as a utility guy. Sox haven't had a player like him in quite a while. Remember when the "super utility" Bonafacio was on the roster? Ha!

Didn't they have exactly the same guy you are describing just last year in Saladino?

Just like Saladino this year, I wouldn't bank on Sanchez' performance to be repeated

QUOTE (Superstar Lamar @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 03:44 PM)
Didn't they have exactly the same guy you are describing just last year in Saladino?

Just like Saladino this year, I wouldn't bank on Sanchez' performance to be repeated

Sanchez is 3 years younger than Saladino, and has consistently played at levels above his age. It is just as likely that he will get even better.

Also, don't discount his value as a great clubhouse guy.

QUOTE (Señor Ding-Dong @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 05:31 PM)
Same. To me it was obvious that Sanchez was/is superior in every category except speed/stealing. I also preferred him over Saladino.

The only thing that Sanchez is going this year above his best minor league years is power, though if you look through his MiLB numbers, once he adjusted to a level he always put up pretty solid doubles and triples numbers. It could be that he is getting stronger as he matures. The rest of his game is pretty similar. He has always hit for a high average once he had time at a level.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 11, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
The only thing that Sanchez is going this year above his best minor league years is power, though if you look through his MiLB numbers, once he adjusted to a level he always put up pretty solid doubles and triples numbers. It could be that he is getting stronger as he matures. The rest of his game is pretty similar. He has always hit for a high average once he had time at a level.

I agree. He was usually one of the youngest players in the league during his time in the minors and his initial stint in the majors, so I think he's just getting stronger as he gets older. Power usually develops later than other skills.

5-7 dingers per year now look like 12-15 for him IMO. That, coupled with very good defense at all IF positions and a .270~ish BA makes for a solid starter or very good bench player.

Considering how young the pitching is and will be, Sanchez at third is the best idea. With defense in mind, Delmonico becomes the DH for the foreseeable future to give him at bats to see how he further develops. That leaves Davidson high and dry. I wouldn't be surprised if Hahn looks for a buyer in Davidson this winter. Mid to small market teams might be interested in cheap controllable power that comes with swing and miss tendencies, hoping for a late bloomer. Davidson isn't the type of player the Sox have been drafting and acquiring which is why I think he's gone this winter, if possible.

I pretty much see Davidson in the same way as Avi. Let em play but if I can find a team to give me something of quality for them, they are gone.